It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm having a huge problem with toxic clouds in my first city; I've been hit by three of them in the first 15 years, collectively destroying four coal power plants, two police stations, a prison, a high security prison, a fire station, and a whole bunch of other stuff. The damage has battered my city into bankruptcy. Does anyone suggestions on how to deal with these (I started in 1900, so at that tech level) absolutely devastating disasters, or is heavy industry just a massive liability in this game?
You have it right - one of the big themes of this iteration is pollution management. You can mitigate some of the effects of heavy industry with parks (and I think by planting trees) but it's fighting a losing battle in the long term.

What I usually do is tax industry more severely once a city is well established - this seems to stop the spread of high-pollution land value killers like sludge fields. Investing the tax money you earn this way into education will give you the well-educated workforce that is the key to high tech industry, which you can further encourage with ordinances such as clean air and the clean industry association. When this begins to happen you can bulldoze the older polluting factories to keep land value/aura high.

It's definitely a slow process, and as you have noted your options are severely limited in 1900.
Post edited July 16, 2016 by bk237
bk237: You have it right - one of the big themes of this iteration is pollution management. You can mitigate some of the effects of heavy industry with parks (and I think by planting trees) but it's fighting a losing battle in the long term.

What I usually do is tax industry more severely once a city is well established - this seems to stop the spread of high-pollution land value killers like sludge fields. Investing the tax money you earn this way into education will give you the well-educated workforce that is the key to high tech industry, which you can further encourage with ordinances such as clean air and the clean industry association. When this begins to happen you can bulldoze the older polluting factories to keep land value/aura high.

It's definitely a slow process, and as you have noted your options are severely limited in 1900.
This is a really good idea. I've also found that zoning lighter areas prevents pollution.
One of the negatives of Building a Toxic Waste Conversion Plant is, it increases the probability of the Toxic Cloud Disaster happening, among several other bad things. Try to find yourself a pdf copy of "Prima's Official Strategy Guide" for SC3KU, via the web.