It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I ran setup to set screen mode to SVGA.
After that,open screamer,but graphic is coarse.
I took screenshot,it is 640x480 only.
I ran setup again to check screenmode,definitely it indicate SVGA.
Is SVGA 640x480?
Otherwise,did I mistake some setting?
SYSTEM INFO
VIDEO CARD: GENERIC VGA
VGA SPEED:109 MBYTES/S
SVGA SPEED: 1638 MBYTES/S
DOSBox: OpenGL
Post edited August 10, 2009 by sajin
What really determines whether you launch in VGA or SVGA mode is the entry in Screamer's .conf file. At the end of the file you can find a line with "STARTH.EXE". This means that the game launches in SVGA mode (what the SETUP.EXE did in the old days is modify a .BAT file you used to launch the game, I think). The graphics may look blocky, but you should be able to notice that the fonts and other 2D stuff is slightly smoother in SVGA mode.
In other words,SVGA screenmode is 640x480 resolution & 2D layer smoother on Screamer?
It's mistakable.
If I remember correctly, VGA is 640x480x8-bit colour (maximum of 256 colours), 640x480x16-bit (65536 colours) AND 800x600x8-bit are both SVGA (and probably 800x600x16-bit as well), after that the definitions kind of blur out in the sand and I'm not sure what is what really.
Test result
STARTL.EXE = VGA = 640x400 (16:10 Stretched Widescreen) = 8bit? coarse in both 2D/3D
STARTH.EXE = SVGA = 640x480 (4:3 correct aspect) = 16bit? smooth in both 2D/3D
SVGA is coarser than imagined SVGA(800x600),but obviously smoother than VGA in both of 2D/3D.
This SVGA is not bad unlike Windows version Daytona USA.
Simply by looking at the picture, it's clear STARTL.EXE runs in 320x200 (with DOSBox multiplying that by 2 by default), and STARTH.EXE is 640x480 with many ugly signs of aspect ratio conversion visible (check the logo graphics for example). I dare say both versions use 8-bit (256) color palette as there are no lighting effects and the versions really don't look that much different from each other save for the resolution difference.
Firek: What really determines whether you launch in VGA or SVGA mode is the entry in Screamer's .conf file. At the end of the file you can find a line with "STARTH.EXE". This means that the game launches in SVGA mode (what the SETUP.EXE did in the old days is modify a .BAT file you used to launch the game, I think). The graphics may look blocky, but you should be able to notice that the fonts and other 2D stuff is slightly smoother in SVGA mode.
Hi all.

I'm new here to and Screamer is my first problem with Dosbox on GOG. In my file "DosboxScreamer_single.conf" I find the line "Starth.exe", but the game refuses to use SVGA, and starts always on VGA. I can play the game (with some slowdonw on a Pentium IV), but I can't set SVGA, as I remembered playing it.

Should I change some options on Graphic Mode Setup from Gog? I launched the game on OVerlay and Direct3D, but VGA mode remains. I don't find the option to change resolution from 320 to 640x480.

I read all the Screamer forum but I don't solve the problem. What can I do?

Thanks in advance
victorsanmar:
Are you sure it is 320x240?
On modern highresolution monitors 640x480 still looks a bit low-res nowadays, also Screamer makes heavy use of 3D sprites and it can sometimes be hard to see the difference between low- and high-res.
You can try editing the .conf so it says startl.exe (check if it is in your Screamer folder) to see if there is any difference.
Post edited December 23, 2013 by Strijkbout
victorsanmar:
Strijkbout: Are you sure it is 320x240?
On modern highresolution monitors 640x480 still looks a bit low-res nowadays, also Screamer makes heavy use of 3D sprites and it can sometimes be hard to see the difference between low- and high-res.
You can try editing the .conf so it says startl.exe (check if it is in your Screamer folder) to see if there is any difference.
Thanks a lof for your help. It wasn't in 320x240, it was in SVGA. It seems incredible but when I changed the three archives and started the game with startl I was surprised when I noticed the difference, too blocky graphics.

Now I'm checking the difference of performance of the game. With a Pentium 4 2800 mhz, 2gb ram and Ati 9500 256 mb it runs well, with some ocasional slowdown. With Pentium 4 3200 mhz, 1 gb ram and Nvidia Gforce 4 64 mb it is impossible to run smoothly the game. With a Core 2 Duo, next check, I think it will work flawlessly. I don't imagine that Dosbox required a relatively modern pc...
I think what the OP is trying to say is that calling 640 x 480 SVGA is not correct. SVGA is 800 x 600.

The other thing about the speed. Changing the core to dynamic is something you should try for every game that has performance issue.

High resolution graphics rendered entirely through software is quite demanding. On a real DOS computer this game in high resolution demands a decent Pentium III to run smooth. It certainly is a lot more demanding than other GOG.com releases.