It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

RudyLis: Regardless, I wonder, whether it is bug or feature: in Pillars of Eternity there are Vailians, who tell you about their country... even if your character has Vaillian background himself. Given the fact that game tracks not just class, abilities and skills, but even part of background (hunter in my case), I was surprised this part wasn't taken into narrative in any way.
The more reactive you make it, then the more tests you have to put in (if-then-elses), the more flags you have to create, the bigger the code grows, the more places that might be messed up, the more hours of testing and debugging it takes to find and fix all the problems.
alcaray: The more reactive you make it, then the more tests you have to put in (if-then-elses), the more flags you have to create, the bigger the code grows, the more places that might be messed up, the more hours of testing and debugging it takes to find and fix all the problems.
True, still, checking existing parameters I've listed, but not using actual "citizenship" background, looks odd. So I wonder, whether it's intentional, or overlooked. They don't have to create entire new dialogue branch, just one string, similar to existing ones, something like: "as Vallian you know..." and then go with existing lines. Not that I'm disappointed or complaining, really, but it would've made great game perfect. :If I can dream of e better game...;)
Man the wait for this patch is gonna be rough. Should have known not to get an Obsidian game from GoG. Anyone think we'll get this this month?
RudyLis: Ain't no GoG, nobody's been fixing it or making it playable. Ubisoft's bite maybe - their Horrors of Mights and Magic 3 already of proverbial quality.
Santiago: Uhm, what? Of course it was a major overhaul. That was the whole point of releasing the BG Enhanced Editions! Beamdog fixed countless stuff in this game! http://www.baldursgateii.com/ The patch notes for the last patch 1.3 alone had 37 pages! http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/37811/baldurs-gate-ii-enhanced-edition-1-3-release
With the EE editions, Beamdog took the fixes created by the community over the years and introduced new bugs at release, that were not in original BG1/2.
The original games were not so buggy how it is suggested, of course a lot of the spells description did not match their effects as their implementation differed from PnP and these were addressed by fan made mods, but there were no such fundamental game experience altering bugs like in PoE with the skyrocketing stats bug.

Vanilla BG is perfectly playable as it is installed from GOG, without any fan made patch or mod and this is how I would recommend it for a first time experience. BG:EE is a different game altogether, as the new engine differs fundamentally in several aspects.
Post edited April 03, 2015 by gunman_
gunman_: The original games were not so buggy how it is suggested, of course a lot of the spells description did not match their effects as their implementation differed from PnP and these were addressed by fan made mods, but there were no such fundamental game experience altering bugs like in PoE with the skyrocketing stats bug.
Bugs were much more subtle in these good ol’ times…
Subtle as a disc literally exploding in your drive.
Post edited April 03, 2015 by vv221
vv221: Bugs were much more subtle in these good ol’ times…
... or delete the operating system files on uninstall
gunman_: The original games were not so buggy how it is suggested,
No of course not! They absolutely aren't! I was just saying that I encountered more bugs in BGII EE than in PoE. Both of them are quite polished! I just said this to demonstrate that IMHO PoE is really polished on release, for a game this complex! Both of these games are great!
Do you think there might be a possibility to get the patch this afternoon or night?

I checked on steam and it doesn't seem that the update has reach them either because there is no news about it on "Recent Updates" tab.
Post edited April 03, 2015 by ALIENQuake
gunman_: <snip>
but there were no such fundamental game experience altering bugs like in PoE with the skyrocketing stats bug.
Guess I got lucky for not experiencing any bugs whatsoever in PoE.

Wait, you had that too? I had to purchase several copies of BG over the years, because I had different disks exploding in my drive. So I had to "cannibalize" different editions to have a set of working disks. :D Oh, sweet times of trashing disks fragments from drive.
gunman_: The original games were not so buggy how it is suggested,
Santiago: No of course not! They absolutely aren't! I was just saying that I encountered more bugs in BGII EE than in PoE. Both of them are quite polished! I just said this to demonstrate that IMHO PoE is really polished on release, for a game this complex! Both of these games are great!
Totally agree on the bugs issue.
Just wish the keep wasn't so batty in several areas.

gunman_: <snip>
but there were no such fundamental game experience altering bugs like in PoE with the skyrocketing stats bug.
RudyLis: Guess I got lucky for not experiencing any bugs whatsoever in PoE.
I was also fortunate not to find any. :-)
RudyLis: Wait, you had that too? I had to purchase several copies of BG over the years, because I had different disks exploding in my drive. So I had to "cannibalize" different editions to have a set of working disks. :D Oh, sweet times of trashing disks fragments from drive.
I’ve been lucky: I learned about this thanks to Internet ;)
My BG CD is lost somewhere in my parents’ house, or at some friend’s, or…
Santiago: Uhm, what? Of course it was a major overhaul. That was the whole point of releasing the BG Enhanced Editions!
That wasn't really an official release from the original developers. It's mostly a lot of previously fan-made patches and mods rolled up, along with their own set of patches and mods. I think it'd been better if they didn't add their own enhancements, like the added npcs, areas, etc, as those are things better done as optional mods.
ast486: I was also fortunate not to find any. :-)
We are the few, the proud, the day one gamers... who met no bugs. :D
Worthy of high-five!
o/

vv221: I’ve been lucky: I learned about this thanks to Internet ;)
My BG CD is lost somewhere in my parents’ house, or at some friend’s, or…
What a lucky thread! :)

My BG CDs are:
- at my friend (who departed to Norway for permanent residency:D)
- at my ex (who departed to New Zealand for same purpose)
- at my home, where I have one fully working assembly, and remnants of 2 other sets, cannibalized to make other work. Personally I say Disk 3 sucks and disks 2 and 4 is no much better. Judging by my Diablo 2 experience, Disk 3 is really the weak link. I wonder if there is pattern - ME3, Diablo 3, Disk 3?;) That's why I'm worried about Witcher 3. *grin*