It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

EverNightX: According to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaKpxjN9EgI OwlCat no longer own the rights to this game and can't update it anymore. That doesn't explain why it wasn't done in the 1st place but it may be too late now.

Though I think WINE can probably run the Windows version no problem.
First of all, thanks a lot for the info.

Wow, tho. This is so sad and infuriating at the same time. Probably explains why Linux have lagged behind for years, and now we can be sure we'll never get that last patch for Linux either. Maybe it even explains why they never bothered to make Wrath for Linux. Very sad for them. Putting so much effort, blood, sweat and tears into a game, only to see it "stolen" from underneath you. Corporate bullshit as f***ing ever.

And in fairness, this is way worse for those console owners it sounds like. After all, the game works very well for Linux, it just lacks that last patch that didn't do all that much anyway.

I always hoped Wrath would release for Linux so I could buy and play it, but for whatever reason I suppose the apparently independent version of Owlcat didn't want to give us that option.
Pangaea666: I always hoped Wrath would release for Linux so I could buy and play it, but for whatever reason I suppose the apparently independent version of Owlcat didn't want to give us that option.
I do think this is a reason why all this time has gone by with no Linux update. It's an odd legal thing. I don't think it can be blamed on Wrath not having a Linux version though. That seems a dev decision. Wrath still uses the Unity engine so I don't think it should have been a problem for them to do it.

I wish there was a native Linux version as well. But if you download the offline Windows installer and run it with WINE. Then open Steam, and add the wrath.exe file as a new Non-Steam game you can launch it via Steam's proton and it just works. So while I'd rather a Linux build, Proton works so well that it *almost* doesn't matter if there is a Linux version.

I've noticed the trend of there having been a Linux version in the past and then stopping. For example Divinity Original Sin 1 has a Linux version but 2 does not. Witcher 2 had a Linux version 3 does not etc.

I don't know why the change. But maybe because the Windows versions work well on Linux these days they don't feel it very necessary. I wonder with the Steam Deck seemingly being successful if that will increase Linux support or just increase Proton support.

Either way I will say that Wrath is IMO a much better game than Kingmaker. So, if you like that style of game I would still check it out. I'm on Linux and that's how I play it and it's not been a problem.
Post edited October 17, 2022 by EverNightX
EverNightX: According to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaKpxjN9EgI OwlCat no longer own the rights to this game and can't update it anymore. That doesn't explain why it wasn't done in the 1st place but it may be too late now.

Though I think WINE can probably run the Windows version no problem.
Didn't another user said in the past that steam already had the latest patch ? If that is true, doesn't that mean that the linux 2.1.7b patch has been already made for some time now ?

I get it that they cannot develop for this game any more when they don't own the rights (so the console version will not see any new patches) but does that also mean that an already made patch cannot be released to someone (GOG in this case) ?

I may have not understood something correctly ofcourse and be totally wrong.
Well the 2.1.7b version of the game was built for Windows and Mac. GOG has that as I'm sure Steam does. It should have been easy to also run the build for Linux. I'm sure that would have been easy at the time. But...something happened and now it may not be so easy.

It's not clear to me if Steam got 2.1.7b for Linux or not. I will ask:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/5595184948712399645/

I don't know who has the source code currently, if it was kept or lost. Sometimes companies lose the source code to games. Or the code may now be in the hands of new people who don't understand how it works or how to build it.

That would be my guess. That a new group of people have the code and they don't really know how to easily build the Linux version and have little incentive to figure it out. And since OwlCat no longer gets any money from Kingmaker sales they have little incentive to do anything either.
Post edited October 17, 2022 by EverNightX