It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

No cumulated download file (still 1.07 / GOG-6).

No "tagged" update file (patch 1.09 without GOG-7 reference).

No official GOG.com statement about difference between steam and GOG update.

What's wrong here? :-(
I received the following mail from customer service GOG.com:

"The answer to your questions is related to technical reasons, which I can not explain in detail. I'm sorry if this caused any inconvenience."
Hi,

I run this through both Galaxy on one machine, and without on another. The update, although it says it is only 6 MB actually decompresses to about 50MB and has all the fixes listed in the patch notes. It also improves FPS and general "smoothness" (or it did for me anyway).

If you are running it through Galaxy, obviously just update it that way.

If you are installing and running it on a machine without Galaxy installed, install the base game and install the relevant patch. Ignore the imcompatibility message re Galaxy, all that is saying is that manually running the patch won't work with the Galaxy version. No biggie.

Hope this helps.
SecondTryIt: I received the following mail from customer service GOG.com:

"The answer to your questions is related to technical reasons, which I can not explain in detail. I'm sorry if this caused any inconvenience."
@rusty20080: Thank you for reply. But that does not answer my questions. Why there is no cumulated download file (still 1.07 / GOG-6)? Why has the update file (patch 1.09) no GOG-7 reference? Why there is no patch 1.08? Why are there no easy answers to these simple questions?
rusty20080: Hi,

I run this through both Galaxy on one machine, and without on another. The update, although it says it is only 6 MB actually decompresses to about 50MB and has all the fixes listed in the patch notes. It also improves FPS and general "smoothness" (or it did for me anyway).

If you are running it through Galaxy, obviously just update it that way.

If you are installing and running it on a machine without Galaxy installed, install the base game and install the relevant patch. Ignore the imcompatibility message re Galaxy, all that is saying is that manually running the patch won't work with the Galaxy version. No biggie.

Hope this helps.
SecondTryIt: I received the following mail from customer service GOG.com:

rusty20080:
6 MB actually decompresses to about 50MB and has all the fixes listed in the patch notes.

What? Patch notes? That is very un-NMS. In fact, I believe their is an agreement that states "their shall be no patch notes, readme files, manual, or directions of any kind, ever, for NMS." So you must be mistaken, this would be a severe breach of protocol. That would not be tolerated.
Post edited October 06, 2016 by misscrabtree456
Premise: I'm using the non-Galaxy version of NMS.

This evening I did a little experiment.
I backed up my savegame and then uninstalled NMS removing everything, including config files.

Then, I:
a) installed the 1.07 version using teh GOG-6 full installer;
b) made a copy of the whole game directory to another drive;
c) installed 1.09 patch;
d) compared all files in the copy (1.07) with the files in the patched version (1.09).

Turned out that 1.09 patch changed several files under "GAMEDATA\PCBANKS", but did not change the main executable (NMS.exe).

In fact, the only file that were updated in "Binaries" directory is "goggame-1446213994.dll" (its sole purpose is to support Windows Game Explorer). Everything else was left untouched.

Now, if I learned something playing with NMS mods and psarc is that almost nothing is hardcoded in this game.
So, it's perfectly reasonable to think that some of the bugfixes and maybe even the exploits were removed just tweaking game data.

But it's a bit harder to believe that changes like "The game is now much more robust at recovering corrupted save files", "Player Standing now updates in real time when interacting with members of the Gek, Vy’keen and Korvax races" or even "Improved detection of available PC CPU cores and optimised settings for low-end CPUs with few CPU cores" were obtained without changing the main executable or any dll other than the one I've already mentioned.

Thoughts?
Post edited October 06, 2016 by ppattumi
@ppattumi: "The answer to your questions is related to technical reasons, which I can not explain in detail." Conclusion -> We are just too stupid to understand. This is not a good pr: both for hello games as well as for gog.com.
Patch notes as always are at the NMS site:

http://www.no-mans-sky.com/log/
@ThorChild: Who asked about patch notes!? :-O Which can also be found at gog.com.
SecondTryIt: @ThorChild: Who asked about patch notes!? :-O Which can also be found at gog.com.
Sorry my mistake :) I guess GOG do not know the differences between the Steam and GOG patch, that would have to come from Hello Games, and they are not the best at this kind of info updating!

Keep in mind there will always be a difference in the patch updates between Steam and GOG, Steam is a DRM platform and that requires other stuff in it's patches. Most of the focus will be on Steam (as that is just the biggest platform currently on PC) so i would not be surprised to see them getting the more experimental features first perhaps?

1.07 and 1.09 on GOG have both been fine (also no issue with any of the mods i'm running), not one CTD in game for me so far after 80 hours of playtime.
ppattumi: Thoughts?
That they're using modular scripting tools. Or don't have subroutines hardcoded into some "main loop", like an old c+ hacker would do it. They probably roll their eyes pretty hard when they hear people complain about "messy code", and things like that on the internet. :)
@ThorChild: Thank you for reply and explenation. :-)
ppattumi: Thoughts?
nipsen: That they're using modular scripting tools. Or don't have subroutines hardcoded into some "main loop", like an old c+ hacker would do it. They probably roll their eyes pretty hard when they hear people complain about "messy code", and things like that on the internet. :)
I've extracted all data archives with psarc and found the changes where spread over almost 600 files.
Some of them, like TKENGINESETTINGSMAPPING.MBIN and TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MBIN can bring the multithreading tweaks cited in the release notes.

Some others, like the ones found in the root and inside the metadata directory may well contain scripts.
I hope this is really the case and modders manage to find and to decode them.
But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

Now I'm going back to play, in search of new interesting *behaviors*.
Post edited October 08, 2016 by ppattumi
GOG, Hello Games, cool people, anyone who cares,

Any word on where NMS 1.08 patch is obtained from? The chickens in the loft here, are still using 1.07, thanks.
Bye birdbathscuba
Post edited October 26, 2016 by birdbathscuba