It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Question is right in the title lads: which is the better weapon for the early mid-game? I've vacillated on this: SCX is slightly lower range and higher energy usage, but it also hits harder both on shields and armor. What do you choose - or do you not use lasers at all?
I always use the most powerful lasers, so SCX over SC1000 for me
Actually, SCX doesn't really hit harder :) one critical factor of weapons that is missing from in game description is damage reduction with range. That's why HC Blasters and Fusion weapons are basically useless. And yes, game manual lies multiple times ;)

After I realized the basic principles, game became easy. But it's important to note, in the third system only Gehenna is playable. Acheron is very difficult, and Charon is impossible.

I always go for the best, longest range weapons. So, SP 1200 laser - probably the best anti shield weapon in the game, EMP Blaster, shorter range, only damages shields, but also fires twice so in some cases is even better, add HK missiles, particle guns and some heavy cannons and watch the carnage. And there is really no reason to use any hercs apart from heaviest available plus few scouts... unless someone wants a challange like sending single machine on a difficult mission, Ogre with ELF weapons, including mortars, can offer completely different experience.

Great game, BTW.
I'm probably a bit too late, but anyway - I would definitelly bet on SC1000 (of course until you'll have more powerful versions, esp, SP1200 - a masterpiece amongst lasers). Basing on my experience with the game (finished on normal difficulty), the advantage of range and field of view are often two major factors (aside from firepower of course) allowing to win or lose battle with more advanced Cybrid units (or to be more specific - to win without casulties).

Besides - I remember that I've experimented a bit with some "modified" lasers (esp. gattling, but not only), but due to their surprisingly low efficiency I quickly got back to "standard" SC/SP line.
Post edited December 30, 2019 by MartiusR
Are you guys playing with the 1.1 patch that allows return fire? I've found the gatling laser is extremely effective at provoking enemies to return fire so that I get their shield facing turned toward me; then I finish with a higher-power energy weapon to drop the shields.

And as to whether HC Blasters are worthless - they absolutely are not. Yes, they do less damage to shields than you'd think, but since some of the late-game enemy armor is quite resistant to anything other than energy weapons, they can be surprisingly damaging once you're through the shields. Keep that in mind.