It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I know you're probably asking "Why would he play Might and Magic IX in the first place?" But that's a different matter. Let's just say that I have a love of self-punishment and I don't think M&M IX deserves quite the amount of hate it receives.

What is the matter is that whenever I try to launch the game, it tends to crash most of the time, and even if I launch it there tend to be some minor performance issues (A brief but pronounced loading time for inventory menus and the like). I've been messing around with various graphics, comparability and administrator settings and I'm sort of stumped. Which is why I ask the internet, naturally.

I'm attempting to play the game on a laptop (a laptop with a real graphics card as well as integrated) with Windows 7 installed, if that makes any sort of difference.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
ArbitraryWater: I know you're probably asking "Why would he play Might and Magic IX in the first place?" But that's a different matter. Let's just say that I have a love of self-punishment and I don't think M&M IX deserves quite the amount of hate it receives.

What is the matter is that whenever I try to launch the game, it tends to crash most of the time, and even if I launch it there tend to be some minor performance issues (A brief but pronounced loading time for inventory menus and the like). I've been messing around with various graphics, comparability and administrator settings and I'm sort of stumped. Which is why I ask the internet, naturally.

I'm attempting to play the game on a laptop (a laptop with a real graphics card as well as integrated) with Windows 7 installed, if that makes any sort of difference.
Just throwing this as an idea. Could the game be crashing because it cannot figure out which video to use, so the integrated is fighting with the video card? Have you tried disabling one or the other?
I loaded up and played IX for a bit. It really isn't that bad. I believe the bad rep is mostly it's serious original bugs (where the game-stopping ones are patched in the GoG version). That and it isn't as good as it's predecessors.

Just a shot in the dark, but are you running any real-time virus protection. It's possible as the game loads each new file (like a changeover to an inventory screen), the virus checker kicks into overdrive delaying the game and possibly causing timeout issues.

Another thing to look at are sound settings. With a fair number of these old games, sound setting compatibility becomes an issues. Do the delays correspond to a change in music? Play around with those and see if it gets better.
Thanks for both of these ideas, though switching graphics processors and messing around with sound options don't seem to have fixed the problem (in fact, now I can't get the game to launch at all for some reason).
Looking through old posts in this forum, I see someone suggested putting your computer into 32-bit color mode to fix a freezing issue in Windows 8. Arkose had linked to http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Might_and_Magic_IX#Run_in_32-bit_color.

Says to Edit autoexec.cfg and change "screendepth" "16" to "screendepth" "32" and to save the changes.
RWarehall: Looking through old posts in this forum, I see someone suggested putting your computer into 32-bit color mode to fix a freezing issue in Windows 8. Arkose had linked to http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Might_and_Magic_IX#Run_in_32-bit_color.

Says to Edit autoexec.cfg and change "screendepth" "16" to "screendepth" "32" and to save the changes.
It seems that 32 bit color is default for the GOG version. Not that it matters, since it somehow started working again after a reinstall. Let's see how long that lasts...
I remember I used to have a startup issue with this game when I used windows. If I recall correctly, you could try to right click on the game shortcut, and go to the compatibility tab. There should be an option to disable desktop composition.

This really is just a shot in the dark, but you may want to give it a try.