It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey, people. I played some hours of Metro 2033 and started Chapter 4. Well, "played". I mean, I followed a couple of guys for some hours and occasionally woke up to shot a ton mutants that came from nowhere.

I know the game is supposed to be linear (it's not Stalker afer all), but this beginning really put me off. It was too much time spent just watching things happen and there was no tension at all while roaming inside the tunnels, because all "playing" events were very scripted and predictable. Even if I die a few times every event, I always end up a lot of ammo and don't feel any need to upgrade my gear. Playing Survival Hardcore. And I kind of suck at FPSs.

I love slow-paced, story-driven FPS (SS2, Deus Ex, Stalker, etc.), but only when I feel I'm actually, you know, doing something. That did not happen with Metro so far. I saw comments saying that the first chapters are really like this but then they get better. What do you say? Does the game gets more challenging afterwards? (not just throwing 20 mutants instead of 10, but having more things to do) Or it really follows this style to the end? Just to know if I should invest more time on it or not...
rosumek: Hey, people. I played some hours of Metro 2033 and started Chapter 4. Well, "played". I mean, I followed a couple of guys for some hours and occasionally woke up to shot a ton mutants that came from nowhere.
Not sure if this question is still relevant but having just finished the game I have to say: no it doesn't get better later on. There are some levels where you fight humans which are actually fun but towards the end Metro falls back to the scheme you're used to: Follow that guy, fend off some mutants, rinse and repeat.
Post edited June 14, 2018 by hmcpretender
rosumek: Hey, people. I played some hours of Metro 2033 and started Chapter 4. Well, "played". I mean, I followed a couple of guys for some hours and occasionally woke up to shot a ton mutants that came from nowhere.
hmcpretender: Not sure if this question is still relevant but having just finished the game I have to say: no it doesn't get better later on. There are some levels where you fight humans which are actually fun but towards the end Metro falls back to the scheme you're used to: Follow that guy, fend of some mutants, rinse and repeat.
Thanks, makes me feel less prone to try it again. In fact I made it to the end of Chapter 4, even past the awful trolley sequence. The outdoor part was nicer, you can even choose you path! (between one room and the room right next to it) But Black Station brought back the boredom.

I mean, the game is without doubt very well made. And great for people who like this kind of linear, cinematic game. Not my cup of tea, however.