It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi everyone!

I recently purchased MOO3 to replay. (I had never played MOO1 or 2 proir to finding them on GoG) I followed the instructions for the install and recieve this error when I try and run the program Unhandled Exception: c0000005 at address 00461fb1

I have searched the web and tried this w/ and w/o the different patches to no avail. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am running Wiindows 7 64 bit service pack 1 on an HP model h8-1110 and an NVIDA GeForce GT 520.

Thanks in Advance!
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
I have had a similar issue with MOO3 on my Win7 64-bit laptop. I'm no longer trying to troubleshoot the problem, but I'll tell you what my experience was in the hope that it may help you fix your problem. Here goes:

First of all, I have the original install CDs for the game. Secondly, all my crashes always happened right after I had chosen the race and the galaxy had finished generating. The result was a "Unable to find directx surface" error. Thirdly, I did NOT install the game under my Program Files folder. I chose a non-default location for the install. Lastly, I had fresh installed the game, patched it to version 1.25, and installed the strawberry patch all the way to version 1.2.1. All of my "unhandled exception" errors occurred in different addresses but all addresses ended as follows: xxxxdf33.

So I decided to do some tests to see what in the game was causing the directx surface crashes. Here are the results:

1) CD game install only. Started the game. No crash.

2) Patched game to version 1.25. Started the game. No crash.

3) Replaced moo3.exe (ver1.25) with a no-CD moo3.exe (ver1.25). Started the game. No crash.

4) Applied Strawberry mod up to version 1.2.1. DID NOT REPLACE THE EXISTING moo3.exe. Patched existing moo3.exe using the moo3 patcher to apply the strawberry/vanilla mod/patches to the dll file included with strawberry 1.2.1. Started the game. No crash.

5) Replaced the patched no-CD moo3.exe with the moo3.exe supplied with the strawberry mod. Ran the moo3 patcher again. Started the game and......CRASHED.

So at least in my case, the issue was being caused by the moo3.exe I was running after applying strawberry (btw....I also performed the above tests with the Tropico (full) and Vanilla versions and the moo3.exe files included with those mods also caused the crash to occur). I had no option but to revert back to the official 1.25 patch version of the moo3.exe which left me without a large portion of the mod's benefits that I was interested in. So I shelved the game again. Probably for good this time.

I hope some of this information helps you more than it did me. Cheers.
I have the same problem but for me it's a bit worse. I uninstalled the tropical mod after installing the new exe and then getting the unhandled exception. Despite replacing the exe i still got unhandled exception. Then i uninstalled everything, reinstalled and still got unhandled exception as soon as i ran the exe.

I've been doing some reading on the gog forums about this and one guy theorizes that registry entries may have something to do with this. I will try cleaning my registry and get back to you guys on this..... if i can find that registry cleaner i haven't used in over six months....

Couldn't find my cleaner program so i tried to find the registry using regedit. Didn't find much but then again regedit is a lousy program. Not even sure what the values are supposed to be.

Problem is the guy who theorized this was supposed to make another thread to his previous post. Never happened.....
Post edited February 05, 2016 by xenomorph1981
One thing i want to ask you X_Paladin is when you patched strawberry using the existing moo3 exe, did most of the mods work? Is the whole patcher dependant on the .exe file? I want to play tropical mod but definitely can't do it using gog version. I have both cds in working condition though so if it is not exe dependant then i could probably get it working.
Suggestion.

With Gog's version just get Bhruic's MoO3Patcher and Patch set. Found here: http://bhruic.dyndns.org/patcher/downloads.php

Follow the install instruction Please. Install the .DLL 1st that comes with it and then Patch in the Patches you want to use (please read their descriptions 1st). Of the 36 Patches and Mod/patches about 25 are for basic play. The rest are for those that have some knowledge of Modding MoOIII

Then once you have done this Play a Game of MoOIII. The difference between a standard 1.25 game and a Patched by MoO3Patcher game is Significantly better.

Then if you want to add a Mod visit this site; http://www.moo3.at/. It has many more mods than just the Vanilla (which is the base mod for the following mods), Strawberry Tropical or Chocolate Mods. These last Mods Greatly change the game. But require some basic working knowledge of MoOIII modding. All actually contain Bhruic's MoO3patcher and a select group of the Patches.

The MoO3Patcher and Patches Must be placed in the Main MoOIII directory (were the moo.exe lives).

JosEPh
Post edited March 13, 2016 by JosEPh002
crimsonstarjewel: Hi everyone!

I recently purchased MOO3 to replay. (I had never played MOO1 or 2 proir to finding them on GoG) I followed the instructions for the install and recieve this error when I try and run the program Unhandled Exception: c0000005 at address 00461fb1

I have searched the web and tried this w/ and w/o the different patches to no avail. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I am running Wiindows 7 64 bit service pack 1 on an HP model h8-1110 and an NVIDA GeForce GT 520.

Thanks in Advance!
Do you have in the Mian Directory a MFC71.dll? If it is Not there you will need to google it and get a copy. That is what I found was missing. Now I have Bhruic's MoO3Patcher and as many of his patches install that I want. The game plays good.

I'm going to start adding my own Mods to it soon. I had a couple made during the Atari forum days and put 2 of them on The MoO3 Guardian site.
x_paladin: I have had a similar issue with MOO3 on my Win7 64-bit laptop. I'm no longer trying to troubleshoot the problem, but I'll tell you what my experience was in the hope that it may help you fix your problem. Here goes:

First of all, I have the original install CDs for the game. Secondly, all my crashes always happened right after I had chosen the race and the galaxy had finished generating. The result was a "Unable to find directx surface" error. Thirdly, I did NOT install the game under my Program Files folder. I chose a non-default location for the install. Lastly, I had fresh installed the game, patched it to version 1.25, and installed the strawberry patch all the way to version 1.2.1. All of my "unhandled exception" errors occurred in different addresses but all addresses ended as follows: xxxxdf33.

So I decided to do some tests to see what in the game was causing the directx surface crashes. Here are the results:

1) CD game install only. Started the game. No crash.

2) Patched game to version 1.25. Started the game. No crash.

3) Replaced moo3.exe (ver1.25) with a no-CD moo3.exe (ver1.25). Started the game. No crash.

4) Applied Strawberry mod up to version 1.2.1. DID NOT REPLACE THE EXISTING moo3.exe. Patched existing moo3.exe using the moo3 patcher to apply the strawberry/vanilla mod/patches to the dll file included with strawberry 1.2.1. Started the game. No crash.

5) Replaced the patched no-CD moo3.exe with the moo3.exe supplied with the strawberry mod. Ran the moo3 patcher again. Started the game and......CRASHED.

So at least in my case, the issue was being caused by the moo3.exe I was running after applying strawberry (btw....I also performed the above tests with the Tropico (full) and Vanilla versions and the moo3.exe files included with those mods also caused the crash to occur). I had no option but to revert back to the official 1.25 patch version of the moo3.exe which left me without a large portion of the mod's benefits that I was interested in. So I shelved the game again. Probably for good this time.

I hope some of this information helps you more than it did me. Cheers.
I located the file through reading other threads here...thank you for your help in this post. It will come in very handy to keep problems down to a minimum. Thanks
Post edited April 24, 2016 by Faithful
crimsonstarjewel: Hi everyone!

Thanks in Advance!
I had the same problem. It turns out running in compatibility mode for Windows 7 made it all work.