It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Greetings Explorers,

Master of Orion In Development 2 is now live.

Highlights
- Three new playable races: Klackon, Meklar and Terran Khanate
- Improved Artificial Intelligence
- Difficulty levels introduced
- Custom Race creation enabled
- Improved and rebalanced racial perks
- Improved tactical battles
- New victory condition: Technological
- Revamped combat screen
- Support for Mac OS X (Not optimized yet, please take a look at our recommended specs)
- Text localization support for: German, French, Polish, Czech, Turkish, Spanish, Portuguese, Korean and Japanese
- Over 350 Bug Fixes

Detailed Changes
General

- Three new playable races: Klackon, Meklar and Terran Khanate

- Klackon Traits (Tireless, Uncreative, Hive-minded)

- Homeworld Minerals: Poor
- Uber Planet: Cavernous (transforms from Arid)
- +50% Food from Population
- +25% Production from Population
- Starting Tech: Biology

- Meklar Traits (Industrious, Erratic, Unpredictable)

- -50% Food Consumption
- +25% Production from Population
- Ship Auto Repair Enabled (instantly repairs after combat)
- Starting Tech: Physics

- Terran Khanate Traits (Hard, Determined, Violent)

- -20% Ship Production Cost
- +25% Beam Attack
- +20% Command Points
- Starting Tech: Engineering

- Support for Mac OS X (Not optimized yet, please take a look at our recommended specs)
- Custom Race creation enabled
- New victory Condition: Technological Victory
- Improved ship auto-upgrade
- Improved tooltips for morale
- Added missing holograms in Breakthrough (research) screen

Gameplay Balance

- Racial Perks have been re-assigned and re-balanced

- Alkari - New trait: Ship Combat Speed Bonus
- Bulrathi - New trait: +25% Ground Combat Rating
- Human - New traits: +25% Trade Treaties bonus; Improved Disposition from diplomacy
- Psilon - New trait: -25% Ground Combat Rating
- Sakkra - -25% Food Consumption trait replaced with +50% Population Growth

- Research progression and pacing has been rebalanced, especially for the midgame and endgame
- Deep Sea Cooling research bonus changed from +25% to +3 and moved to Advanced Engineering (tier 3)
- Moon Laboratory research bonus changed from +4 to +6
- Improved galaxy generation to increase differentiation of star colors and planets over different galaxy ages
- Ships are now upgradable and repairable when orbiting all owned colonies and outposts, as well as allied colonies
- Added difficulty levels: Easy, Average, Hard and Very Hard (Average being the one where the AI is playing with the same economical benefits as the human player)
- Improved Jump Gates: now built by Space Factory at Warp Points, moved earlier in the tech tree (from tier 7 to tier 6), and travel speed when using them doubled
- Re-balanced Racial Biases
- Vast improvements on differentiation of races (bonus/malus, strategy, diplomacy, etc.)
- Enabled 8 races for Circular Large galaxy (was 6 because the races restriction for EA1); Spiral currently remains limited to 6
- Music and Voice Over has been properly balanced

Artificial Intelligence

- Fixed bug in AI asking for invalid technologies
- Fixed OffensivePact send WarDeclaration in Client and DespiseBreakPromise check
- Improved colonization behavior: Now the AI is able to manage multiple Colony ships at the same time and its colonization schemes are not hindered by its war efforts
- Improved war preparation: Defensive and offensive analysis has been improved
- vastly improved production
- Improved Strategic analysis: AI will make more decisions based on chances of obtaining different victory conditions
- Improved Strategic analysis finetuning of potential targets for war
- Improved handling of multiple war fronts
- Performance optimization in engage task
- Improved combat analysis: New formula for estimating relative fleet strength
- Defensiveness personality trait now used in defense formula

Tactical Mode

- Monsters collision/avoidance boxes fixed
- Fixed Space Dragon 3D mesh
- New Combat Screen with detailed information on fleets
- Pause as a mechanic: Tactical battles start in paused mode in order to make the important initial tactical decisions
- Fixed range feedback on tooltip and overlay
- Size of pirate ships has been Increased
- Added civilian ships to tactical battle: They hold their ground at the back of the battlefield and flee if they get attacked
- Added Retreat option: Ships must reach the edge of the battlefield and warp out to successfully retreat
- Several fixes for tactical UI
- “Tactical” button replaced with “Take Command”
- ”Simulate” button replaced with “Auto-Resolve”
- Added Speed and Range Controls (Implementation, Integration into the game)
- Added Tactical Options (Pause on Options, Esc brings Options, Confirm Simulate on Leave, Populate Options Menu accordingly).
- Added Persistence to tactical options
- Fixed Facing, size and modifiers costs
- Intro improvements

User Interface

- Changes in arrow icon and jump gates
- Animation changes on Main Menu and Single Player
- Added buildings list to manage structures
- Added UX components for speed and range controls
- Updated Invasion/Bombardment UI
- Added buttons to specify how many Troop Transports should be used on a given invasion
- Tactical

- New Icons added
- Animated Auto-cast feedback added

- GNN

- Fixed a bug where the race name would repeat in the headline

Diplomacy

- Fixed trading: Player is unable to request Exchange Tech when the player does not have technology for Exchange Tech
- Fixed State Machine: Some lines of dialogue where not being triggered as intended

Localization

- New localizations: German, French, Polish, Czech, Turkish, Spanish, Portuguese, Korean and Japanese
- Updated Localizations
- New changes on Game Credits screen

SFX

- Improved Audio Manager
- Improved Tactical mode sounds
- Improved Strategy mode sounds
- Several mixer updates, general click sound updated, "upgrade" button sound added and GNN music loop-able
Stuff I've discovered in current patch:

- Custom Race "NEXT"-button (bottom right of the screen) is aligned a liiiiittle bit more to the right than it should, effectively cutting of the end of it. Not a biggie, but still.
- Zortrium and Neutronium Armour bonuses and research switched. Still. Neutronium is denser than Zortrium. So it was in MoO2 and so it should be here. Even the flavour text says so. For reference: Titanium -> Tritanium -> Zortrium -> Neutronium -> Adamantium -> Xentronium.
- Positronic Computer still ranked higher than Cybertronic in the ship design screen and will be added as the default computer when you build ships even if you have a better one researched.
- Adamantium Armour still ranked higher than Xentronium. Updating blueprints makes the game switch armour on all your ships. Same thing with computers.
- Creating a ship from scratch adds computer, shield and plating but not your highest researched tech. I had the game add Class III shield, Zortrium and Positronic Computer even though I had Xentronium, Moleculartronic and Class V shield researched.
- Updating blueprints adds all kindsof wonky tech to your ships. If you have only researched a new armour plating it should ONLY upgrade that and not add a whole swathe of different tech and armaments to your ships.

OTHER:

- I would like to see a CLEAR ALL button on the ship design screen.
- Klackons seem a little bit overpowered. They can tech like crazy and spit out population and ships in the same rate. I was playing on Normal and it felt like I was playing on Hard. Klackons kept pace with me every step of the way in terms of research but vastly surpassed me in ship building. For every ship I churned out, they churned out four.
Just over 200 turns into my first post-patch game as the kahnate with 7 opponents in a large circle galaxy.

observations: the klackons have definitely upped the challenge ratio a bit... they are production murdertanks.

I stand as the #2 empire right now but it is close (klackons #1)

The AI still hasn't tried to take one of my worlds.. but I was pretty high on the power ranking from fairly early in the game so more testing is necessary there. It did aggressively colonize (most of the races anyhow) and the majority of the galaxy was explored and had at least 1 colony by turn 80. this is a nice change

the engine travel boosts are a nice addition.. feels like slightly less of a chore to get around the map and I have seen the AI planets change hands with each other more often than in prior builds.

Tactical combat is much improved.. I like experimenting between the formations.. I have *no* idea whatsoever what the sliders above your fleet composition do though.. would be nice for a little bit of clarification to be present somewhere.

tech progression is much nicer too. it is amazing how much a little adjusting to research times help drastically.

all in all it is a huge step in the right direction.
NinjaLA: I have *no* idea whatsoever what the sliders above your fleet composition do though.. would be nice for a little bit of clarification to be present somewhere.
There is an explanation on the official moo forum, in which the new buttons are explained. They should have posted this information here on gog too, though.

http://forum.masteroforion.com/index.php?/topic/1075-new-tactical-combat-options/
Falkus: Stuff I've discovered in current patch:

- Custom Race "NEXT"-button (bottom right of the screen) is aligned a liiiiittle bit more to the right than it should, effectively cutting of the end of it. Not a biggie, but still.
- Zortrium and Neutronium Armour bonuses and research switched. Still. Neutronium is denser than Zortrium. So it was in MoO2 and so it should be here. Even the flavour text says so. For reference: Titanium -> Tritanium -> Zortrium -> Neutronium -> Adamantium -> Xentronium.
- Positronic Computer still ranked higher than Cybertronic in the ship design screen and will be added as the default computer when you build ships even if you have a better one researched.
- Adamantium Armour still ranked higher than Xentronium. Updating blueprints makes the game switch armour on all your ships. Same thing with computers.
- Creating a ship from scratch adds computer, shield and plating but not your highest researched tech. I had the game add Class III shield, Zortrium and Positronic Computer even though I had Xentronium, Moleculartronic and Class V shield researched.
- Updating blueprints adds all kindsof wonky tech to your ships. If you have only researched a new armour plating it should ONLY upgrade that and not add a whole swathe of different tech and armaments to your ships.

OTHER:

- I would like to see a CLEAR ALL button on the ship design screen.
- Klackons seem a little bit overpowered. They can tech like crazy and spit out population and ships in the same rate. I was playing on Normal and it felt like I was playing on Hard. Klackons kept pace with me every step of the way in terms of research but vastly surpassed me in ship building. For every ship I churned out, they churned out four.
Can you update to version 42.6.0.5.1702 and see how it works for you?
After patch 42.6.0.5.1702, I have this report:

- Custom Race "NEXT" button could be aligned a little bit more to the left. This is a minor issue, to be honest. Just putting it out there.

- Zortrium and Neutronium armour bonuses and research fields are swapped. Neutronium should be where Zortrium is and vice versa.

- Positronic Computer still ranked higher than Cybertronic in the ship design screen and when you update blueprints.

- Microbiotics increase population growth according to the flavour text but the Bonus says it's "Population Growth: -15%". Typo? Same thing with Cloning Center and Universal Antidote.

- GNN doesn't say "Terran Khanate", they're just silent whenever they're mentioned.

- Proton Torpedoes are slower than missiles. Flavour text says them travelling at near light-speeds, funny that a missile bypasses them in speed with ease.

- Star Bases, Battle Stations and Star Fortresses have some really weird weapon setup. Most of it is on Point Defense and only one or two long-range weapons. It makes absolutely no sense. They're effectively useless. They are supposed to have an impressive amount of armament to deterr attacking fleets. As it stands, they're just sitting there doing nothing at all and die as soon as a few ships with missiles show up.

- Graviton Beams are stupidly overpowered. They're basically a "poor man's Death Ray". I would even venture so far as to say they are stronger than Death Ray in current iteration. All weapons need a massive balance pass, to be honest. Some weapons are super powerful (Graviton Beams, Phasors) where others, farther down the tech tree, are underperforming (Gauss Cannon, Plasma Cannon).

- Meklar behaving VERY erratically. On one hand they declare war out of the blue - even if you have treaties with them - and on the other they want to be your best buddies. The Klackon suffer from the same schizophrenia. As of this writing moment, it seems that the only way to avoid being ganked by them is to play that race.

- Updating blueprints adds all kinds of wonky tech to your ships. If you have only researched a new armour plating it should ONLY upgrade that and not add a whole swathe of different tech and armaments to your ships. It works fine when you don't have much tech to add to your ships, then it will properly update your armour or computer only. But as soon as you have a lot to choose from, the game will just randomly assign random tech and systems to your ships. It's super annoying as it you have to go and update your blueprints manually.

OBSERVATION:

- Klackons have been toned down a notch and don't seem to tech and churn out ships at a crazy rate. That's good.
- Missiles and Torpedoes seem to do less damage than before. It's a good thing that the crazy missile spam was brought under control. However, torpedoes should still do a little bit more damage than missiles. They still feel as if they are underperforming by a large margin.

SUGGESTION:

- The option to pick "RANDOM RACES" whenever you set up how many A.I opponents you want to play against. Example, I want to play in a large, spiral galaxy with 4 A.I. Opponents. Instead of choosing who to play against, I can just hit "Random" and then start the game and figure out who I am playing with during playing.

- Miniaturization. As you research new tech, you come up with new ways to make old tech take up less space. That way you can add that extra missile or torpedo or what have you to your ships, thanks to new, smaller components. (example: You have 10 plasma cannons on a ship, you research two new tech upgrades in the following fields, you can now go back to your ship and add some extra items to it because of space being freed up from the smaller components, etc.)