It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

×
Hello everyone,

please not I am not seeking "regular" support since I'm on a non-ubunto linux variant (endeavourOS, arch variant). I have a problem starting jupiter hell ever since moving to my new distro and was wondering if someone here has any idea where I could start looking - or simply tell me "hey, I have the same problem".

So, as I said, jupiter hell is not starting (I tried it via lutris, commandline, ...) and it did not indicate any problem. It was in the log.txt that I found the following error which I struggle to decipher / interpret.

##### LOG EXCERPT #####
00:00:00.00 [NOTICE ] Jupiter Hell 0.9.3b (beta) Logging started
00:00:00.00 [NOTICE ] Detected application pref dir: len: 0
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] library "libsteam_api.so" : loading...
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] library "libsteam_api.so" : failed to open!
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] library "libchf_gog_wrapper.so" : loading...
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] library "libchf_gog_wrapper.so" : failed to open!
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] Configuring...
00:00:00.01 [TRACE ] Lua state created
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] Loading Lua buffer 'lua::configuration::scheme'
00:00:00.01 [TRACE ] Lua state created
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] Loading Lua buffer 'lua::configuration::scheme'
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] library "libSDL2-2.0.so.0" : loading...
00:00:00.02 [ERROR ] sdl - error displaying message box!

First off, I am wondering where the error lies, if it is related to libsteam and libchf or if the error is "only" related to libSDL. If the latter is the case, it should be possible to PRELOAD libSDL from the system, as is necessary for some other GOG games to make it run.

I found another thread fixing a file permission-issue, but this did not solve the problem.

So, is there anyone else who has a similar / the same problem?

Have a good day, fellows :)
Did you had any luck with this?
The game worked fine but after a system update I began to have the same issue in Manjaro, Garuda and even Linux Mint.
EDIT: Had to switch to Pop_OS, it works now.
Post edited May 03, 2021 by DaiKaiser93
avatar
labuvetteducampus: Hello everyone,

please not I am not seeking "regular" support since I'm on a non-ubunto linux variant (endeavourOS, arch variant). I have a problem starting jupiter hell ever since moving to my new distro and was wondering if someone here has any idea where I could start looking - or simply tell me "hey, I have the same problem".

So, as I said, jupiter hell is not starting (I tried it via lutris, commandline, ...) and it did not indicate any problem. It was in the log.txt that I found the following error which I struggle to decipher / interpret.

##### LOG EXCERPT #####
00:00:00.00 [NOTICE ] Jupiter Hell 0.9.3b (beta) Logging started
00:00:00.00 [NOTICE ] Detected application pref dir: len: 0
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] library "libsteam_api.so" : loading...
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] library "libsteam_api.so" : failed to open!
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] library "libchf_gog_wrapper.so" : loading...
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] library "libchf_gog_wrapper.so" : failed to open!
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] Configuring...
00:00:00.01 [TRACE ] Lua state created
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] Loading Lua buffer 'lua::configuration::scheme'
00:00:00.01 [TRACE ] Lua state created
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] Loading Lua buffer 'lua::configuration::scheme'
00:00:00.01 [NOTICE ] library "libSDL2-2.0.so.0" : loading...
00:00:00.02 [ERROR ] sdl - error displaying message box!

First off, I am wondering where the error lies, if it is related to libsteam and libchf or if the error is "only" related to libSDL. If the latter is the case, it should be possible to PRELOAD libSDL from the system, as is necessary for some other GOG games to make it run.

I found another thread fixing a file permission-issue, but this did not solve the problem.

So, is there anyone else who has a similar / the same problem?

Have a good day, fellows :)
This is a guess as to what the problem is, but based on this and what the other poster said (stopped working after a system update), I'm wondering if it's looking for a specific version of a library (libSDL in this case would be my guess) but can't find the version it's looking for. Perhaps both your systems have versions of libSDL different from what it's expecting to find. If this is the problem, if you all are lucky, the solution could be as simple as creating a symlink named after the version of the library it's expecting (libSDL2-2.0.so.0).
Post edited May 03, 2021 by melioratio
Let me be honest. I had given up and was under the impression that the problem was specific to my system (configuration). It worked and still works on my laptop.

Now, after a fresh reinstall of manjaro, it works without a problem. I am quite convinced that the problem is related to me (un)installing stuff more or less randomly when some (other) program didn't work.