It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hey all,

I've been playing JA2 for years, including with 1.13. Now, I've updated my home PC (finally) to Windows 10, and, of course, JA2 UB with 1.13 is having some problems.

JA2 Unfinished Business, GOG version, installed to C:\GOG\Games\JA2 - Unfinished Business
I've installed two different revisions of 1.13, 8626 with the SCI and 7435 with the 7609en+fix.exe, both versions have the same problem, so I suspect it's a problem with how I'm installing them.

Install process:

1. Install vanilla JA2UB from GOG to the directory listed above.
2. Copy either "JA2_113_FullRelease_English_7435.exe" and "ja2_7609en+fix" or "SCI_JA2v1.13_Revision_8626_on_GameDir_2448.7z" to the vanilla install directory.
3. Either double click the .exe or use WinRAR to "extract here" on the .7z.
4. Copy the 3 .dlls from the "\Docs\Windows Compatibility Fixes" folder to the now-modded game directory.
5. Run "INI Editor.exe", and set "Play Intro" to false, leave "Windowed Mode" as false, and leave screen res as 1024x768. See attached screenshot for the rest of the main Editor settings that I'm using.
6. Click "START" using the INI Editor.
7. Game crashes to desktop with message "Could not initialize library [Data\Maps.slf] in : profile [SLF Libs], path [Data\Maps.slf]". See attached screenshot.
8. Verify there is no Maps.slf in Data subdirectory. It's not there.
9. Do a search in the game directory/subdirectories for "Maps.slf" in Explorer. Windows finds "Maps.slf" in C:\GOG\Games\JA2 - Unfinished Business\Data\Campaigns\Unfinished Business.
10. I'm already concerned that something is borked, because I shouldn't have to do that copy/paste. However, I again click "START" in INI Editor.exe.
11. Game launches successfully! Awesome (or so I thought)!
12. I start a new game, choose a mercenary from AIM (I also tried with just using own custom merc, same result), and try to jump to the tactical map by hitting the "down" arrow on the laptop screen (same result happens if I choose the forward/advance time arrow at the bottom of the laptop screen).
13. Chopper loading screen appears, and game immediately crashes with a run time error stating: "Failed to Find Placeholder1.dat (placeholder map)". See attached image.

I started off installing with 1.13 build 8626, but after the problem started, I installed build 7435 with update 7609, but the same issues occurred.

Because I've seen many posts of people that are successfully running 1.13 on Windows 10, I'm inclined to think I'm doing something wrong on my end.

Any assistance is HUGELY appreciated!
Attachments:
I reinstalled 1.13 build 8626 over a vanilla GOG JA2 install this morning. In the INI Editor, I realized that I had previously been selecting "vfs_config.JA2113.ini" for the "Select JA2 v1.13 MOD" dropdown, which was leading to my problems with not finding Maps.slf.

However, when I selected "vfs_config.UB113.ini", the game crashes to black screen on start with a message of "Assertion Failure [Line 2135 in file Button System.cpp] Attempting CreateIconAndTextButton with invalid position 1137, -137"

I feel like I'm getting closer to correct, but I know I'm still missing a config step somewhere....

Thanks again for any help on this!