It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi all. I just installed the game on Win10 Home. I noticed my escape key (esc) is not working correctly. Escape works on the main menu, but I can't bypass the opening video or exit a mission after I've crashed. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
In the game's folder, look for the config file conf.ini, open it with any text editor and add the following lines if not already present:

[HotKey gui]
Escape=activate
Save the file then run the game.
Post edited August 09, 2017 by dr.schliemann
Hi All,

Just wanted to update this ticket. I contacted support and they were able to solve my issue. The fix was to re-install the game as an Administrator (run as Administrator). After doing that my escape key is working in the game.
dr.schliemann: In the game's folder, look for the config file conf.ini, open it with any text editor and add the following lines if not already present:

[HotKey gui]
Escape=activate
dr.schliemann: Save the file then run the game.
Hey everyone,

I also had this problem with the Escape key simply not working during any flight or while track playing.

The system (which I am not sure has anything to do with the problem) is an i5-4690, running a quite clean install of Win7 64 bit, wiith a GTX 760.

The solution I found was within conf.ini - somehow the file had <space> characters within it replaced with the %20 code.

Once I did a find and replace on %20, and replaced it with a real <space>, my Escape key started working again. Since I did a global find and replace I'm not sure what other issues I *may* have headed off in the process.

Good luck!
wpark: Hey everyone,

I also had this problem with the Escape key simply not working during any flight or while track playing.

The system (which I am not sure has anything to do with the problem) is an i5-4690, running a quite clean install of Win7 64 bit, wiith a GTX 760.

The solution I found was within conf.ini - somehow the file had <space> characters within it replaced with the %20 code.

Once I did a find and replace on %20, and replaced it with a real <space>, my Escape key started working again. Since I did a global find and replace I'm not sure what other issues I *may* have headed off in the process.

Good luck!
You found the right place.
That works, great job.
Thanks.
ggzx12: You found the right place.
That works, great job.
Thanks.
No worries! I have a sneaking suspicion (which I haven't tested) that it has something to do with the IL-2 1946 language selector application.

After installing, I noticed the language selector app in my start menu, and decided to run it. I'm in Australia, and I prefer en-gb, so I thought it couldn't hurt to run that before starting the game for the first time.

Maybe it did mess the conf.ini up? I've seen language and code page issues result in characters being replaced by control codes before... just a theory though.

:)
wpark: Hey everyone,

[SNIP]
Hi wpark,

this solution worked perfectly for me! Many thanks to Australia!
ggzx12: You found the right place.
That works, great job.
Thanks.
wpark: No worries! I have a sneaking suspicion (which I haven't tested) that it has something to do with the IL-2 1946 language selector application.

After installing, I noticed the language selector app in my start menu, and decided to run it. I'm in Australia, and I prefer en-gb, so I thought it couldn't hurt to run that before starting the game for the first time.

Maybe it did mess the conf.ini up? I've seen language and code page issues result in characters being replaced by control codes before... just a theory though.

:)
For me it was enough to just switch language to german and back to english. Fixed the esc key bug for me.
Just wanted to let anyone know who has to face this problem. Got inspired to try this by this post -> reason for the quotation.
I too am having the same problem. Esc. key stopped working. worked fine when i first installed it. hooked up a joystick and it still worked. for some reason the game froze. had to crash game, after that Esc key wouldnt work? then i ran the repair from my GOG thingy, stopped the freezing but Esc key still wouldnt work. did a clean uninstall then reinstalled and works again? now acting up again? gets frustrating cant escape from movies and thingys i pop up while flying that the Esc key should get me out of??
also after reinstall the sound did not work for movies so in options for sound, i changed to 'desk top speakers' from 'default' and now the sound works.
there is something with direct x to something else i need to ask, have to go back in game and clarify what it was.
wpark: The solution I found was within conf.ini - somehow the file had <space> characters within it replaced with the %20 code.

Good luck!
Thank you so much! This fixed the ESC key issue for me, and other wierdness like the MAP key not working sometimes.

Now, I have to remember how to fly these things again. :D
Post edited March 14, 2023 by StevetheNPC