It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hello people. I recently bought IWD2 on disk, and by jumping through some hoops, I got IWD2 to install and work (my computer doesn't have a DVD drive so I had to use an external DVD reader etc).

The game crashed in the inventory screen a few times though, so I realized I have to download patch 2.01.

I have found the patch .exe, but whenever I run it I get the attached error. The game's installed in a folder called BlackIsle on my desktop. "icewind2.ini" has the correct file paths in it for HD 0 and whatnot.

I've downloaded a few NoCD patches as I recall, but those obviously didn't preclude the game from running. (I can provide proof that I own the game, if needed.)

Do I have any recourse in this situation to patch play the game? Or should I give up on running this version?

edit: Game is on 2.00, is in English, and was bought in Europe (Turkey).
Attachments:
Post edited January 12, 2019 by TheUnholyBBQ
TheUnholyBBQ: Hello people. I recently bought IWD2 on disk, and by jumping through some hoops, I got IWD2 to install and work (my computer doesn't have a DVD drive so I had to use an external DVD reader etc).

The game crashed in the inventory screen a few times though, so I realized I have to download patch 2.01.

I have found the patch .exe, but whenever I run it I get the attached error. The game's installed in a folder called BlackIsle on my desktop. "icewind2.ini" has the correct file paths in it for HD 0 and whatnot.

I've downloaded a few NoCD patches as I recall, but those obviously didn't preclude the game from running. (I can provide proof that I own the game, if needed.)

Do I have any recourse in this situation to patch play the game? Or should I give up on running this version?

You've installed it on you desktop? That's the most stupid place to install anything, let alone games. It may be why you are getting that error. The cause may also be you "jumping through some hoops", whatever that means.
TheUnholyBBQ: Hello people. I recently bought IWD2 on disk, and by jumping through some hoops, I got IWD2 to install and work (my computer doesn't have a DVD drive so I had to use an external DVD reader etc).

Hickory: You've installed it on you desktop? That's the most stupid place to install anything, let alone games. It may be why you are getting that error. The cause may also be you "jumping through some hoops", whatever that means.
The hoops are the fact that I used an external DVD reader, etc.

I moved the install location (to C:\Games) and it still was not detected.
TheUnholyBBQ: I moved the install location (to C:\Games) and it still was not detected.
Yeah, because you simply moved it. Installers write to the registry and that's where patches look.