It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

With the game page showing just Windows XP and Vista ... I am wondering, has anybody run this on Windows 8/8.1 and if so, how goes it?
Gothic and Gothic 2 both ran on my Windows 8 laptop, however there was a weird issue where it didn't want to start (or run) when I went to play it for the first time. I seem to remember fixing it by putting it into Administrator Mode, then closing it and taking it out of Administrator Mode. I'm still not sure how or why that worked, but it did...

I can check to see if Gothic and Gothic 2 run in Windows 8.1 without any issue but it'll be a few hours before I can do that.
NoNewTaleToTell: Gothic and Gothic 2 both ran on my Windows 8 laptop, however there was a weird issue where it didn't want to start (or run) when I went to play it for the first time. I seem to remember fixing it by putting it into Administrator Mode, then closing it and taking it out of Administrator Mode. I'm still not sure how or why that worked, but it did...

I can check to see if Gothic and Gothic 2 run in Windows 8.1 without any issue but it'll be a few hours before I can do that.
Thanks for that, much appreciated. I'm running a Windows 8.1 laptop, so I'll await your findings before I buy the game ... or not as the case may be.
NoNewTaleToTell: Gothic and Gothic 2 both ran on my Windows 8 laptop, however there was a weird issue where it didn't want to start (or run) when I went to play it for the first time. I seem to remember fixing it by putting it into Administrator Mode, then closing it and taking it out of Administrator Mode. I'm still not sure how or why that worked, but it did...

vitp4145: Thanks for that, much appreciated. I'm running a Windows 8.1 laptop, so I'll await your findings before I buy the game ... or not as the case may be.
I just tested Gothic (Steam version). When I started it without setting it to run in Administrator Mode it would work fine until I tried to load a new game, when I tried to load a new game it would crash and and give a Access Violation error. After setting it to run as an Administrator it loads and works fine.
vitp4145: Thanks for that, much appreciated. I'm running a Windows 8.1 laptop, so I'll await your findings before I buy the game ... or not as the case may be.
NoNewTaleToTell: I just tested Gothic (Steam version). When I started it without setting it to run in Administrator Mode it would work fine until I tried to load a new game, when I tried to load a new game it would crash and and give a Access Violation error. After setting it to run as an Administrator it loads and works fine.
Many thanks for that. I presume the same would hold true with the GOG version?
NoNewTaleToTell: I just tested Gothic (Steam version). When I started it without setting it to run in Administrator Mode it would work fine until I tried to load a new game, when I tried to load a new game it would crash and and give a Access Violation error. After setting it to run as an Administrator it loads and works fine.
vitp4145: Many thanks for that. I presume the same would hold true with the GOG version?
I imagine it would, I have Gothic 3 on both GOG and Steam and it seems to be the exact same version.
I had the problem, that the game wouldn't open when I had installed it (GOG version) on my Windows 8.1 laptop. But I just restarted the laptop and chose the video card that I wanted the game to use. After that Gothic worked with no more problems.
Another user says that the 2.0 installer now has a Win8 fix even though the gamecard lists compatibility with XP and Vista only, so people might be getting different results depending on the installer version.
When I was trying to get the game to launch I ran it in the suggested compatibility mode as an administrator and nothing would work still. I opened up the task manager, went to details, found Gothic, and right clicked on it and selected "Analyze wait chain". In my case, it showed that Logitech's setpoint.exe was stopping it from running, and once I closed that the game ran perfectly fine. Maybe this will help some other people?
Post edited July 01, 2014 by jasonc3a