It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Let's go adventuring!

Pick up King's Quest 1, 2, and 3 for 60% off--and go read IGN's Year of Adventure retrospective on the series here!

The cool cats over at IGN have decided that this year they will run a "Year of Adventure" series of retrospective of some of the best adventure games ever made. We heard about that and said, "Fantastically good classic adventure games? The devil you say! We have loads of those here at GOG.com. Maybe we can work together to increase the amount of awesome on the Internet!"

And lo, we have. While we don't have *every* fantastic classic adventure game in the catalog (yet! We're keep trying!), for the games that we do have in our collection that IGN has found to be worth covering in their retrospective series, we'll be offering that game at a great discount for 48 hours after their article runs.

The first game we're offering is the incomparable King's Quest 1 + 2 + 3 series. IGN's article covers what makes these games so compelling--even today--in greater depth than we can in a newspost like this. Check out the article--and the sale--and tell us what you think a critical game for a "year of adventure" retrospective should be in the comments below. The offer lasts until Tuesday, February 11, at 11:59PM GMT.
Corwim: Also wouldn't mind seeing more non-adventure games from Sierra getting a GOG release (Outpost (a fully patched one would be brilliant!), the Earthsiege series, Lord of the Realm games, Battle Bugs, Alien Legacy, Space Bucks, Birthright, Silpheed, Lode Runner On-Line, etc etc etc :-) ) either!
IwubCheeze: Lords of the Realm 1-3 is already on GoG. Also, don't forget to add Hunter Hunted to your list ;)
They are? Thanks for pointing that out! :-) I knew Lords of Magic was on here (got it during the winter sale :-) ), but didn't realise the Lords of the Realms games were on here too! And oh yes, Hunter Hunted would be a great release on here as well! Never got a chance to play the game when it originally came out, but would love to try it now.

Corwim: - The Castle of Dr. Brain & The Island of Dr. Brain & The Lost Mind of Dr. Brain & The Time Warp of Dr. Brain
Shaolin_sKunk: Would love to see Lost Mind on here; good times.
I never actually had the chance to play these games back in the day, but would love to be able to play them now! :-) And I think thrown in a bundle, they would do quite nicely on here.

Corwim: ...
tfishell: Heck yes! Problem is getting Activision to pay attention. You can try to make contact here: https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist
I don't have twitter unfortunately. :-/ I'll see whether I can find an email address somewhere from someone at Activision and send my wishlist over there. Don't know whether it'll make much of a difference, but heck, it's worth a try. :-)

DavidDragoon: - Rama

The Adventure game based on Arthur C Clarke's Rama series books? Yes a nice choice for GOG.

From what I can recall it was pretty decent game, very interesting story as well.
That's the one! :-) I only read the Rama books afterwards, so the game was really my first experience with them. Still remember this game as a very atmospheric and intriguing adventure game, and I think graphically it held up rather well over the years. Yes, would love to see this one on GOG, though that might be problematic because of the IP rights on the Rama brand.
CarrionCrow: Say what you will about IGN, but larger game sites being willing to partner with GOG for these types of promotions, potentially bringing more people while showcasing games that aren't the latest sub-par "triple A" exercises in rehashed overpriced mediocrity can only be seen as a good thing.
HypersomniacLive: I have to agree.

On a side note, King's Quest 1+2+3 is quite low in the bestselling list, inspite the recent Time Machine Sale and the current Promo - I guess it's too old school (being a text adventure and all).
I assume it's because you can get the AGD remakes for free legally. Though, AGD promote GOG on their website, I assume it's still hurting GOG sales of the game.
Well, King's Quest 1-8 were the very first things I purchased on GOG, and the reason I joined. I did my part! Glad to see them being featured.

P.S. There was an entertaining play-through narrative of King's Quest I and II on a blog I read regularly. If anyone's interested, here's the first post: http://biobreak.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/kings-quest-quest-accepted/
Post edited February 11, 2014 by Elinnea
Buenro-games: I remember this as one of my first PC games (if we don't call something like Atari 800XL a PC). It was really a lot of fun although the puzzles sometimes were pretty illogical. Bird, nest, thingie, ugh. Anyways, I never even knew that these games were made by a female programmer, unusual at the time. Was quite surprised when I found out, many years later.
Considering what the KQ2 parser recognises as terms for women, your surprise is understandable.