It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Well, the new year has passed--we hope you had a good one!--and now it's time to buckle down and start making 2012 awesome.

We're going to be doing our best, here at GOG.com, to make 2012 an even better year for fans of classic games and newer ones too then 2011 was. If you've been coming to our website very often at all, you probably know the three things that we do that make us different than the other digital distributors out there: we're completely DRM-free, we bundle in free extra goodies like soundtracks and wallpapers, and we charge the same price for all of our games anywhere in the world.

We're committed to keeping up with that philosophy in 2012, because it's what has made us a favorite gaming distributor for so many of you guys, and it's key to how we think anyone should sell games. Our GOG.com style of gaming distribution has definitely won us some attention last year, and we thought we'd show you a short round-up of some of the interviews that GOG.com conducted with news outlets across the 'Net in the last 12 months. Some of these talk about things that have already happened and are done, but some also talk about what GOG.com is planning to do in 2012 and beyond, so if you want to see if we're sticking to our guns when it comes to the GOG.com way, read on!
F4LL0UT: Just read in the Polish gaming magazine CD-Action that this year GOG is gonna be the exclusive distributor of some big new game. I'm quite curious what's it gonna be.
SLP2000: link or scan/ (if possible)?
The article isn't online and I can't scan it now, however, I can translate it (although if you're from Poland I guess you don't need a translation - I also don't know why you can't buy the mag yourself o.o). It's part of a message about the future plans of CD Projekt found in CD-Action No. 199 1/2012:

Polish original text:
"Na platformie GOG.com w przyszłym roku zostanie wydany na prawach exclusive'u nieznany jeszcze tytuł znanej marki - wszędzie indziej pojawi się dopiero po kilku miesiącach."

English translation:
"A yet unknown title from a popular franchise is going to be published exclusively on the platform GOG.com during the next year - everywhere else it's going to be released a few months later."
F4LL0UT: Just read in the Polish gaming magazine CD-Action that this year GOG is gonna be the exclusive distributor of some big new game. I'm quite curious what's it gonna be.
RafaelLopez: Probably any new game from CD Projekt will be released on GOG.com from now on.
True, but I'm sure that the game mentioned in the article is not being developed by CDP. It's gonna take some time before the next Witcher will be released and the article states that it's gonna be part of some popular franchise - so it's quite certainly not gonna be an original game developed by CDP.
Post edited January 04, 2012 by F4LL0UT
If the article is about the future plans of CDP, it should be a game developed by CDP right? Either that, or they take GOG's plans as CDP's plans now...

Anyway, GOG already mentioned they're about to enter the Steam business of publishing new releases if the price is right. I see that as a bad turn of focus, but we can only hope it's for the best.
F4LL0UT: The article isn't online and I can't scan it now, however, I can translate it (although if you're from Poland I guess you don't need a translation - I also don't know why you can't buy the mag yourself o.o). It's part of a message about the future plans of CD Projekt found in CD-Action No. 199 1/2012:
Thanks.

About buying it myself - I don't feel like buying a gaming mag just for one short sentence.

I'd say it's ARMA 3.
RafaelLopez: Either that, or they take GOG's plans as CDP's plans now...
They do.
SLP2000: About buying it myself - I don't feel like buying a gaming mag just for one short sentence.

I'd say it's ARMA 3.
Well, in my eyes it's the best gaming mag ever and it's always worth buying it, most of the articles are very well written (also this time it contains some really neat full versions - a Saint's Row 2 Steam Key, Blood Bowl - Legendary Edition and Machinarium).

Anyhow, I'd be glad if you were right about ARMA 3.
Post edited January 04, 2012 by F4LL0UT
Can't wait for what this year has in store for us here at GOG. :) I just hope that releasing the really old games doesn't slow down because of releasing newer ones.
they promised a commitment to release the old as well... but this just means there is MORE to release so more releases all the time YAY!
Has been a great year on GOG, can't wait to see what they bring in 2012
Um, about the security:

"We keep our users' passwords encrypted more than once and stored securely"

That's not nearly as secure as it could be. Passwords need to be hashed, with plenty of salt.

Also, I'd really prefer HTTPS be used for login into the sight, instead of passwords being sent in the clear....

Edit: OK, noticed that it is using https for login & account stuff, so that's all good :)

My point still stands about the salted hashing.
Post edited January 04, 2012 by kalirion
New classic release in ... days?
zeffyr: New classic release in ... days?
New release will be tomorrow if GOG's twitter is to be believed.
so pumped... im hoping for a "newer" one cant wait to see, im giddy! first of 2012 SQUEEEE!
Starkrun: so pumped... im hoping for a "newer" one cant wait to see, im giddy! first of 2012 SQUEEEE!
Me too. Go vote for what you think will be coming on thursday if you want in my thread here. :)

(Also I hope now it's a newer old title as well, so we can see how GOG handles it & maybe get the ones worrying that bringing newer titles here will be the end of GOG as we know it to maybe worry a little less. :)...)
Post edited January 04, 2012 by GameRager
kalirion: Um, about the security:

"We keep our users' passwords encrypted more than once and stored securely"

That's not nearly as secure as it could be. Passwords need to be hashed, with plenty of salt.

Also, I'd really prefer HTTPS be used for login into the sight, instead of passwords being sent in the clear....

Edit: OK, noticed that it is using https for login & account stuff, so that's all good :)

My point still stands about the salted hashing.
The passwords are likely to be hashed, they don't send out your password on password request.... since it's hashed. You have to set a new one. Additional they are not going to tell you in-depth about their security processes.... that's a security risk right there.
Post edited January 05, 2012 by Cyrem
@ December 5th link

I love how GoG requires as little information as possible when buying games. I wish more companies/sites only asked for card number and expiry date rather than tell them my life's story before I can proceed to buy something.