It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

fronzelneekburm: ...
Darkwood is a weird game for me because I can tell that it's great and I ended up quite liking it, hence why I name itas one of favourite games of the year, but it hasn't baffled me in the way I was hoping it would. I just couldn't get into it's mood and the only time I felt something like being unnerved was when I [SPOILERS] found the suspiciously peaceful town and immediately ran back the way I came.[/SPOILERS]. Everything about the game screams that I should love it though, so I'm considering starting fresh later and doing things differently.
I played Mad Max, and that was pretty good.

I've been enjoying Vikings: Wolves of Midgard. Not sure about favourite though.

edit: you meant released this year. ok forget Mad Max. super mario odyyssey has been great, but again, not sure my favourite.
Post edited December 28, 2017 by johnnygoging
I don't know if i've ever played a game during its release year. But here are my favorites that I played in 2017:

Sunless Sea - i love this game. It's very well written. It's mysterious. The sound design is monotonous but totally fitting and pleasant. It has the effect of augmenting the game's slowly mounting dread, anxiety and sense of inescapable doom. Wonderful!

Pillars of Eternity - I am going to see this game through to the end, it looks like, and that is a rarity for me among big RPGs. I like it very much. the races and classes are very different from each other. It's fun managing a big party. The tweakable AI is quite nice. And the real-time-with-pause system is quite good, with lots of auto-pause options. The world is interesting. It's a little pretentious. But I've always preferred that to dumb. I like it.

Darkest Dungeon - I love this game! And it's infuriating. And I'm still playihng it, which is amazing since it is so infuriating. I love the voice of hte narrator. I like the visual aesthetic. I like the complexity of the trait/affliction system. I like it ALL!

ABZU - it's as beautiful, surprising, wonder-inducing, and pleasant to play as it appears. Just perfect.

Grim Dawn - BAng, PO@, BaM! This was the aRPG I was craving. Go play it!

Recursed - best logic puzzle game since Antichamber

LIMBO - best side scrolling platformer puzzle thing ever. Now to play INSIDE and see if its better.

I played other games I like, but those really are the best I've played this year. Cheers!
Grim Fandango
Warframe, I find this game to be best for mmo's out there. Very friendly free to play. No pay to win schemes, no loot boxes schemes. Awesome player base and good transparent Devs who care about there fans. Some grind yes like all MMO games but this one is within reason. Its fun and different. I'm not a big fan of hack slash space ninja stuff but I do love the atmosphere and people in the game. Its different to my norm RPG style game play that I prefer but I like warframe.

So few good games out today that its nice still see one worthy to play.
Hollow Knight, no question.

I believe if I had played Divinity Original Sin 2 or Zelda Breath of the Wild they would have been rivals.
Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is my GOTY2017 no doubt about it.

Even with the so called bad translation i enjoyed it to the fullest. Jap audio used.
What Remains of Edith Finch is pretty high on my list. I'm a sucker for a good story.
deleted
Hikage1983: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is my GOTY2017 no doubt about it.

Even with the so called bad translation i enjoyed it to the fullest. Jap audio used.
Meanwhile I twiddle my thumbs and wait for my pre-ordered PC release on GOG... (I never learn...)
Hikage1983: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana is my GOTY2017 no doubt about it.

Bigs: Meanwhile I twiddle my thumbs and wait for my pre-ordered PC release on GOG... (I never learn...)
Good things come to those who wait my dear Tsundere Heart :)