It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The mere idea of it is kind of terrifying! :) The majority of folks reading this probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but forum regulars that have been around for years know what I mean. :)

For those unaware... several years ago GOG used to run a contest during the Winter Holiday Season which was in the form of a candy cane search. I don't know how many years they did this but I think at least two years in a row and possibly more. The way it worked was during December they went through the store's game catalogue and selected about 6-10 games out of the entire catalogue then chose one of the game's screenshots and photoshopped a candy cane into it secretly. It was like an easter-egg hunt more or less. You were to search the games to find all of the candy canes, and whoever found them all first won a prize or something like that. I forget the exact details of the contest and am too lazy to dig them up out of old emails but I'm close enough and most likely someone reading this who remembers it more accurately will provide more accurate info anyway. :)

It was also a bit tricky too because some video games have candy canes in their own graphics, so you could get thrown off and guess the wrong game as a result. :)

For those who used to be here then and participated, it was quite the gruelling experience of sorts because there were around 300-350 games in the catalogue! It took forever to go through them all! Can you imagine if GOG was to pull a contest like this nowadays with 1600+ games? Man... that would be murder to hunt them all down. :)

I suppose if they did, someone would go and take all of the fun out of it by running a script that compared the MD5 sums of all the screenshots to a previous version of the sums and discover all of the alterations in one shot though too.

Anyhow, it was something nostalgic that crossed my mind so I thought I would throw it out there.

Just for fun, I added a request for GOG to consider bringing back the candy cane hunt to the upcoming 2016 winter holiday season. Interested parties can vote for it here:

<span class="bold">https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/winter_holiday_candy_cane_hunt_2016</span>
low rated
If you use a blue coloured torch and a pink one at the same time they would appear and it would be over in ten minutes.
skeletonbow: I suppose if they did, someone would go and take all of the fun out of it by running a script that compared the MD5 sums of all the screenshots to a previous version of the sums and discover all of the alterations in one shot though too.
MD5 comparison? Amateur...
Just check the image's url for 2016/12 and you'd be done in minutes.

But yes, those were interesting, especially when giving hints to other people.