It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

pkk234: I don't see a reason why OP is being downvoted.
GameRager: Some here seemingly dislike ANYTHING that questions GOG/CDPR or seems to promote another site.
They are EA & Ubisoft recruits, trying to lure people away to Origin & uPlay.
GameRager: Some here seemingly dislike ANYTHING that questions GOG/CDPR or seems to promote another site.
DetouR6734: They are EA & Ubisoft recruits, trying to lure people away to Origin & uPlay.
I rated the op up. ;)
jonridan: Ironically the pirated version will be Steam's and THEN GOG's, and not the other way around... It always happens the same. Still... it will sell a lot, proving DRM-Free and piracy and sells DO NOT GO HAND IN HAND IN HAND... in hand.
Spot on.

This is one of those things that really doesn't get broadcast enough.

Most of the games that can be downloaded are cracked, because it's the challenge and sticking it to the evil corporations showing the futility of their anti-consumerist practices. Where as buyers of DRM free have a better sense of ownership and supporting those industry practices so don't want to do anything to harm that.

It's just in theory it seems like it should be the other way around, but it really just isn't.

Cyberpunk will be the biggest selling game of all time, the biggest pre-ordered game of all time, and it will be still be available to download through illegal means pretty much on day dot, and it won't hurt CD Projekt one iota.
M_aV: Just wanted to start this because I am worried about the expansion of pc gaming since the release of The Witcher 3 was released, and i think that sales numbers could be affected by degenerates cracking the game on PC. Sure people could have done the same for the Witcher series, but i think this is a whole new crappy pc era that they will have to deal with.

Any ideas if they will have countermeasures? or evidence to prove my worry otherwise?
100% sure. Countermeasures? Nah too lazy to think about that, it's not like it's even solvable.

MadyNora: I have yet to see a pirate who said "oh, the drm on this game is so strong, it will take cracker groups a month to crack, so I just buy it, so I can play day 1 instead of waiting a month for it to be available on pirate sites".

On the other hand I have seen people pirating games because of the insanely restrictive drm a legit copy has come with. Some of these people still ended up buying a legit copy, but they just played the pirated version because it was more comfortable.

So: yes, the game will be pirated like crazy. And most of these people would have never bought the game anyways, so these shouldn't be count as "lost sales". It's a false assumption that every pirated copy is a lost sale, because many pirates never buy games ever no matter what. And if they can't pirate one game, they just pirate another and play that.
A notorious piarte acquaintance of mine actually called me "insane" multiple times for spending money on games. He says he can spend that money elsewhere, so why spend it on something he can get for free. Absolutely nothing ever could convince him to spend a cent on games.

On the other hand there are many people who buy games. The Witcher 3 also sold a lot of copies, so why not Cyberpunk?

Plus I know of people who actually stopped pirating (or pirated a lot less) after they discovered DRMfree games.
Change it to one. You see it here. I bought D3 because it wasn't available to be pirated.
Post edited July 11, 2019 by zeroxxx
If piracy was a problem GOG and CD Projekt would have gone bankrupt a decade ago.
As every game gets pirated, there is nothing indicating otherwise about Cyperpunk.
high rated
M_aV: Any ideas if they will have countermeasures? or evidence to prove my worry otherwise?
Tbh, practice has shown that dealing with pirate sites rarely yields any results. Even if we successfully take down one, another one will spring up in its place on the next day.

So we believe the best way to fight with piracy is to offer better deals and service! ;)
low rated
M_aV: Any ideas if they will have countermeasures? or evidence to prove my worry otherwise?
Ashleee: Tbh, practice has shown that dealing with pirate sites rarely yields any results. Even if we successfully take down one, another one will spring up in its place on the next day.

So we believe the best way to fight with piracy is to offer better deals and service! ;)
True dat
Ashleee: So we believe the best way to fight with piracy is to offer better deals and service! ;)
...and the crowd went amok! :D

There's a general rule for every game (like most internet rules); the more popular/good the game is, the more likely it WILL be spread among pirates (and also those that are generally curious and wishes to try it first). No one or very few would pirate/distribute a crappy game.

We humans tend to share what we like, so in any case, the amount of "unlicensed distributors" can be seen as how much demand it is for the game, and in most cases, yes, people will actually pay for good wares whether or not they pirate the game or not....

TL;DR:
YES, the game will be highly pirated,
YES, the game will sell like cold water to deprived people.
;)
Post edited July 11, 2019 by sanscript
Ashleee: [...]
I will say introducing regional price for my region on GOG was also a small but good step.
Often availability and affordability goes a long way.

Also a question I had asked previously on CP2077 announcement thread but did not notice any answer:
Will you be releasing Boxed version of CP2077 in India for PC?
If yes, will that be similar to European editions?
Also is there any plan for the collector's edition in this region?
low rated
Ashleee: So we believe the best way to fight with piracy is to offer better deals and service! ;)
sanscript: ...and the crowd went amok! :D

There's a general rule for every game (like most internet rules); the more popular/good the game is, the more likely it WILL be spread among pirates (and also those that are generally curious and wishes to try it first). No one or very few would pirate/distribute a crappy game.

We humans tend to share what we like, so in any case, the amount of "unlicensed distributors" can be seen as how much demand it is for the game, and in most cases, yes, people will actually pay for good wares whether or not they pirate the game or not....

TL;DR:
YES, the game will be highly pirated,
YES, the game will sell like cold water to deprived people.
;)
I have done such in the past with some games, and have always usually bought a copy when I could later on(yes mostly in sales, but I would've done so even if I didn't pirate due to small budget irl). :)
Pirating isn't actually as bad as people like to make out, sure there are those that will never buy it, but there are many that like to try things out, and alot of devs seem to expect people to whip out their wallet and throw their money away without really knowing what they are buying.
Ashleee: Tbh, practice has shown that dealing with pirate sites rarely yields any results. Even if we successfully take down one, another one will spring up in its place on the next day.

Ah - that explains why the pirate site that specified on GOG games and that I have reported years ago is still up and running. But yes, maybe you are right and there's no use in trying to bring them down. On the other hand it really hurts me seeing how people abuse the idea of DRM-free.
low rated
antrad88: If piracy was a problem GOG and CD Projekt would have gone bankrupt a decade ago.
Nice ignoring of the ethical question.
That is like saying "Stealing is OK because the stuff I steal is insured and the people I steal it from won't lose anything".
bhrigu: Also a question I had asked previously on CP2077 announcement thread but did not notice any answer:
Will you be releasing Boxed version of CP2077 in India for PC?
If yes, will that be similar to European editions?
Also is there any plan for the collector's edition in this region?
You should ask CDPR these questions and not GOG. They are not exactly the same and CDPR have their own contact.
https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/contact/