It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

viperfdl: snip
Sorry that you don't feel like talking more. Thanks for being respectful throughout. If some of my animus towards richwind surfaced towards you let me assure you it was not intentional.

If I can say one thing - although I would never try to convince you to be less humble (which I find to be a prerequisite for - let's say - achieving true enlightenment) I would propose that you try to separate humility towards reality (ergo - being open to the facts, curious about exploring it, etc...) from humility towards others. Don't be subservient - our puny human life might be a grain of sand, but no one else is truly any bigger.
richlind33: ... in response to a spike in suicides due to coerced overtime.

So I ask you, does China meet your criteria for "competitive markets"?
Brasas: From the article you posted:

"When one jumper left a note explaining that he committed suicide to provide for his family, the program of remuneration for the families of jumpers was canceled."

Funny how ^that^ directly contradicts you... messy reality getting in the way of your dogma.

And what a "spike":

"Out of a million people, 17 suicides isn’t much—indeed, American college students kill themselves at four times that rate."

That's just like, in the first ten paragraphs you linked? Stop trolling.
To the contrary, the note suggests 2 things: that Foxconn's wages are shite, and that the man had lost the will to go on living.

Those 17 suicides resulted in the square mile complex becoming a cacoon of suicide netting -- a picture that begs the caption "trouble in paradise".

Again, Foxconn is as good as it gets for workers in China, and is far above the appalling norm.

BTW, do you always answer yes/no questions with grandiose walls of text?

Brasas: To throw you another bone however, China is a fascist planned economy - which is mostly irrelevant to the sweatshop / slavery angle you are pushing. You see, that's what I find hilarious about you. You might actually have believed I thought China was somehow an example of ideal capitalism, liberalism, whatever you want to call it. You reached the correct answer - they're far from a paragon of virtue - but your process is all screwed up. You flunk mate.
Many of the factories in China *are* sweatshops, with workers that sleep under their work tables, or bridges, etc., etc.

Actually, I presumed that you didn't see China as being ideal, so you have failed again to answer my question.

Brasas: PS: For the audience's benefit. The Chinese government would rather have much more control over the population displacements brought by labor demand (caused by Foxconn, etc). Also Chinese reality regarding sociopolitics is very difficult to break into, but traditionally the main political tension in China is precisely pitting central planners - whether they are nationalist or communist or both - versus the kind of independent minded (read: risky separatist) warlord / entrepreneurs that are constant in its history. That is why richlind's attempt to paint the picture of an obvious alliance of interest between the chinese state and the Foxconn's of the world is borderline farcical. * Of course I don't actually know if Foxconn management specifically is under control / influence of the Chinese ruling party or some element of the opposition, but the dynamics are all wrong. Chinese politicians are happy with the geopolitical fruits in terms of capital and power brought by globalization, but they are very suspicious of its societal impacts - especially any kind of capital driven empowerment of rival elites, as well of "trickle down" empowerment of the masses. ** They know very well that capitalist economic activity tends to lead to democratic demand - it's no coincidence how political liberal reform followed the Industrial Revolution in England. Which is quite ironic in the context of economic literacy I was talking to viper.
I made no reference to the Communist Party, but let's assume that I did: Foxconn exists because the CPC allows it to, and the fact that it is likely a grudging alliance is beside any point I am trying to make here.

But thank you for another grandiose wall of text.

Brasas: ** No surprise they find it very hard to thread the needle of "managed growth" via encouraging internal consumption as an alternative for diminishing international demand.

* I'm being unfair - Richlind's angle if I recall is rather about the world elites aligning to control the people. Unlike a hardcore communist for whom the bourgeousie is seen dogmatically as a conservative united block (at present the lingo would be a privileged united block ofc), he sees the elites dogmatically as a maquiavelian united block (pulling strings, etc... I would be surprised if he is not traditionally anti-semitic). Circling back, that's why I think he finds it so hard to believe I'm being sincere - I also see conflicts between political and economic interests. He only sees collusion.
When you have private control of national money supplies this is entirely moot, and this is well-understood by intelligent libertarians who long ago recognized and identified banking collusion for what it truly is, including it's relationship to the so-called "business cycle".

https://mises.org/library/economic-depressions-their-cause-and-cure-4/html/c/67

BTW, I quite enjoy walls of text that are informative. ;p
richlind33: BTW, do you always answer yes/no questions with grandiose walls of text?
Only the fallacious ones. Like: Richlind, are you troll or a fool?

You do understand what I mean right? Loaded questions of the sort "Have you stopped beating your wife?" should be rejected as invalid. The premises behind your question were likewise invalid.

Despite which I have answered you already twice in separate posts:
1st - that sweatshop conditions =/= slavery
2nd - that China is fascist

You however, refuse to acknowledge the answers you already got, and are still trying to play gotchas.
It's also interesting that you step in replying to what I did not address at you. Why so desperate?

So, what are you trying to achieve here? I am curious.
richlind33: BTW, do you always answer yes/no questions with grandiose walls of text?
Brasas: Only the fallacious ones. Like: Richlind, are you troll or a fool?

You do understand what I mean right? Loaded questions of the sort "Have you stopped beating your wife?" should be rejected as invalid. The premises behind your question were likewise invalid.

Despite which I have answered you already twice in separate posts:
1st - that sweatshop conditions =/= slavery
2nd - that China is fascist

You however, refuse to acknowledge the answers you already got, and are still trying to play gotchas.
It's also interesting that you step in replying to what I did not address at you. Why so desperate?

So, what are you trying to achieve here? I am curious.
How was I to know that you're more of an effete pseudo-intellectual than an abrasive charpit? ;p

You seem to be disputing that sweatshop conditions exist in China. I hope that is wrong but if it isn't, here's an article that should leave you better informed.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2006-11-26/secrets-lies-and-sweatshops

As for economics being a "hard" science, I'll leave you with a brilliant documentary that takes a good, hard look at the marriage of science and finance. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed2FWNWwE3I
catpower1980: I checked my daily newsfeed this morning and came up with the announcement of Adidas building its first "robotized" factory in Germany this year due to the rising wages of Asian workers:
http://www.dw.com/en/adidas-to-sell-robot-made-shoes-in-germany/a-19280669

It just followed the recent news of Wendy's in USA replacing their cashiers by touch-screen kiosks due to rising wages:
http://www.fox32chicago.com/money/142139984-story

And naturally in Belgium, I already saw how fast this kind of thing can go as a lot of train stations were closed down to be replaced by a single touch-screen kiosk within two years.

So if you're a student or have a job which don't necessarly require human input, it's time to foresee the upcoming wave of robotization and train yourself in other areas if needed.
We have an antiquated "labor based" economy where everyone needs to get work to survive. This is based on the idea that manpower need is plentiful and you need to motivated the manpower to fill the gaps.

More and more, knowledge based economy will make most non-knowledge based jobs (anything that doesn't require a degree) non necessary and even some less creative knowledge based jobs unnecessary.

Yet, people still need to eat, to be clothed and to put a roof over their heads.

I think there are two main solutions for this dilemma:

- Minimum Guaranteed Income: Enough to guaranteed all the minimum needs (lodging, clothes, food, electricity, decent Internet connection). Then, for any of the luxuries, motivate people to find work.

- Less Hours in a Working Week: If you lower the working week from 40 hours to 20 hours, you'll employ twice as many people. In any profession where there is a surplus of qualified labor, they should just do it.
omega64: Artificial Intelligence?
You don't need real artificial intelligence to replace most unskilled labor.

You just need a well designed experts system and very good pattern recognition.

Forget Skynet, SHODAN and all that crap. We can make software today that doesn't have the creativity and general purpose intelligence of a human being, but that can do their work for them.

Let's face it, a lot of unskilled labor is very menial and dumb. It requires some degree of sophistication to do as far as software systems go (anyone who can design software that can perform these tasks deserves some praise), but certainly nothing remotely resembling full blown consciousness.

Alaric.us: Asking to be paid more money than your skill set is realistically worth == asking to be replaced by a machine.
Only in the private sector. In the public sector, you got a generation of highly unionized overpaid workers that will take a generation to replace with a more efficient system. A lot of their jobs is not about public service, it's about providing a cozy livelihood for them and in many case, they are supervised by a highly paid public 'servant' who is in the same boat so there is no real supervision to speak of.

I agree with the rest of what you said. Give me the reliability of a machine over an employee who would rather be elsewhere any day.

Don't get me wrong, interacting an employee who wants to be there can be highly satisfying, but more often than not, you feel like you're inconveniencing somebody who'd rather be elsewhere and I get it: A lot of those people are underpaid, overworked, work under an *sshole whose gameplan is to make them feel worthless so that they don't stand up for their rights and the job is quite uninteresting to begin with. Many of them are already getting treated like machines, might as well replace them with a machine.

Ghorpm: I have a bad news for you. A lot of lab equipment that I am and/or was using contains a robot arm (to move samples inside a vacuum chamber etc.). More than five times I’ve heard a discussion that it’s sexist because these arms are big and bulky which means they clearly simulating a man’s arm and somebody should produce more delicate and slender robot arms to show that science is not only for man. Seriously.
That's just stupid, machinery is not manly, it's inhumanly strong.

I've been weightlifting for 2 years now. Within a couple more years, I'll have reached my limit (barring a highly skilled personal trainer and a specialized diet) and I'll still be dreaming about lifting anywhere near what your regular grocery store lift can lift.

timppu: Let's pretend for a second that all work that we humans do today could be performed by robots and computers, including medical doctors, building houses, creating games etc. etc. etc. Would that be good or bad news to us humans? At least we would have lots of free time to pursue whatever we want in life.
That's my thought as well, except that many of us are petty children with a tendency to let their caveman ancestry shine through.

Ideas like this are very prevalent in our society:

"I work hard for my money and I subscribe to the myth of the self-made man, why should they get anything for free"

"I own company X and they are not getting squat. Either they do something useful for me or they starve for all I care"

Etc.
Post edited August 21, 2016 by Magnitus
richlind33: You seem to be disputing that sweatshop conditions exist in China. ...

As for economics being a "hard" science, ...
0_o ??

Now you have me questioning your reading comprehension...

Guess who wrote these (emphasis mine):

"the first of those 3 examples [industrial labor in Industrial Revolution England] is the closest to China's present realities"

"How it applied or not to human sciences like economy..."

Hint: I did.
Hint 2: Industrial Revolution in England is where modern sweatshops originated.
Hint 3: Human sciences are not hard sciences.

The good thing from this is that others see you for what you are more clearly.
My brain is too dead to look through the pages and see if this was brought up already. If it was I apologize, but what I was seeing was the thread going into the direction of politics and such so I stopped reading.
Anyway.

Around Pittsburgh,PA,US in the ... I'm going to say nineties? I think I was a young teen, but not driving yet, so pre 97.
The Taco Bells around here had a touch screen kiosk for placing your orders. I can't remember if it was attached to a money taking machine, or if a person still did that, but I do remember that it didn't stick around very long.
I don't know why it went away, but I'm guessing it wasn't reacted to well by the customer. I know I prefer giving my order to a person usually.

So hearing that Wendy's is looking to try it again... I wonder if they feel the climate has changed enough to try again? (They have to know about the Taco Bell thing, then again.. they are a corporation.)

I dunno though. If I walk into my local Wendy's and they're piloting this program? I'm going to ask to talk to a manager, and explain to them that I'll be going to the Arby's, McDonalds, or Dairy Queen that are all within 1 minute of driving distance away. And I can see a lot of the older people I see eating there regularly doing the same thing.

I don't care how intuitive and easy to use the system ends up being, I don't like Wendy's enough to lose that bit of human interaction that I, for some reason, actually enjoy. (I also dislike dealing with stupid machines ... like the self checkouts at the grocery store that fuck up and need an actual person anyway as often as not. Don't know why my mother loves those things so much.)
No worries. We'll always have robot welfare.
richlind33: You seem to be disputing that sweatshop conditions exist in China. ...

As for economics being a "hard" science, ...
Brasas: 0_o ??

Now you have me questioning your reading comprehension...

Guess who wrote these (emphasis mine):

"the first of those 3 examples [industrial labor in Industrial Revolution England] is the closest to China's present realities"

"How it applied or not to human sciences like economy..."

Hint: I did.
Hint 2: Industrial Revolution in England is where modern sweatshops originated.
Hint 3: Human sciences are not hard sciences.

The good thing from this is that others see you for what you are more clearly.
I apologize for misreading you re hard vs human science. My bad. But I'm genuinely puzzled by your reaction to what you claim are "loaded" non sequiturs. The only difference I see between the sweatshop and the plantation is that the latter is more blatant and extreme, but is there really any question that both are/were dehumanizing? If not, what point is served by asserting that one is slavery but the other is not?
Post edited August 22, 2016 by richlind33
richlind33: snip
Life is dehumanizing. And it always kills us in the end. A lack of good choices does not make all evils equivalent. Choosing the lesser evil is almost defining of humanity.

So basically, it's a point of principle. I respect the choice of millions of sweatshop workers as coming from their human agency. Not sure you do. Seems to me you would take that choice from them, to benefit someone else's job security?

Anyway, thanks for changing your tone.
It is a good thing if we have space colonization and resource is not a problem.

Without that it will reach a point where many people will starve to death as they have little value to trade for food and stuff. The surviving population will be smarter people with robotic / automation / software skills or people with skills robots cannot replace. And only the better among them survive.

Then the world population will reach another equilibrium with existing resource. And mankind will evolve towards more brain power and less brawn. Who knows if out descendents will grow extra eyes / arms / fingers / tentacles / multiple brains for better multi tasking and information processing?

For the current population getting displaced by robots, it sucks.
not sure how it works in USA but here in australia they are much better than regular check out lanes.

simply because

There are dozen of them or more while normally there would be three or four lanes open. and there are two lanes open as well.

I don't wanna wait in a line when i have a bottle of milk to buy.
Gnostic: It is a good thing if we have space colonization and resource is not a problem.
Resource management will still be a problem but yes, you're right, we really need to get our heads on that but I think quantum computing, A.I and nano technology needs to be better understood before that. I mean, the time it takes to travel in space at the moment is ridiculous.
Magnitus: - Minimum Guaranteed Income: Enough to guaranteed all the minimum needs (lodging, clothes, food, electricity, decent Internet connection). Then, for any of the luxuries, motivate people to find work.

- Less Hours in a Working Week: If you lower the working week from 40 hours to 20 hours, you'll employ twice as many people. In any profession where there is a surplus of qualified labor, they should just do it.
I suspect these two things would lead to even more automation. Not sure, though - gotta mull it over a bit more. Given the HR overhead costs (benefits for each employee, and the general cost of HR for each employee), the second one would definitely be a hard sell down here. Combine the two and small business would dry up in a matter of a couple years.
Magnitus: - Minimum Guaranteed Income: Enough to guaranteed all the minimum needs (lodging, clothes, food, electricity, decent Internet connection). Then, for any of the luxuries, motivate people to find work.

HereForTheBeer: I suspect these two things would lead to even more automation. Not sure, though - gotta mull it over a bit more. Given the HR overhead costs (benefits for each employee, and the general cost of HR for each employee), the second one would definitely be a hard sell down here. Combine the two and small business would dry up in a matter of a couple years.
In an economy where you are not forced to work week to week to pay for food and rent, small enterprises would thrive as more people would have the possibility of engaging in them.

Of course, extremely low wage crappy jobs would get into a state of crisis (nobody would want to do them unless conditions improved) though I personally don't consider this a bad thing. People doing the work nobody else wants to do would finally have some leverage and get the pay they deserve for doing thankless work. Also, on a 20 hours week, this kind of physically/emotionally draining soulless work would become more bearable and there would be fewer burnouts.

Also, if everyone's basics are covered in a guaranteed minimum wage, any additional income derived from employment becomes disposable income, which small businesses tend to thrive on even moreso than large corps.
Post edited August 23, 2016 by Magnitus