It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Developers should make opportunity of the times, insult someone or some thing, get game pulled, get free marketing by gaming press for game being pulled, sell game directly, save 12-30% cuts selling on said stores.
low rated
Timboli: Another way to look at this, is that GOG are selling games into China, and that has to be a good thing ... outside of the financial gain. Those games can't all be checked by China, and much of their content will have lasting effect on players there. Positive things will come out of it, perhaps eventually the changes we all want.
That's an interesting thought. I once saw a documentary about Tibet, and from their perspective it wasn't military power, outright suppression that broke Tibet. No, China launched a "welfare" programme that put a TV set in every household, who couldn't afford it on their own.

Something to think about.
It is not out of the ordinary if GOG has made such a decision, just more people are noticing it.

As a long term (ex) customer of GOG, it is funny to dive in once in a while to see what their newest shenanigans are.

The really only saving grace are their offline installers that they are actively trying to hide and make access of them more complicated, but they are no way better any more than their competition (with and without DRM -- yes there are some new ones which do subscribe to the "good old games" slogan and stick more or less with that).
Post edited December 30, 2020 by coffeecup
Chielus86: At the most at 21st of February.
Timboli: So you are still going to do it ........ honestly, I gotta shake my head at the ridiculous drama of it all.

In the end, the only loser will be you.
You are not going to effect anything other than yourself, with your false sense of GOG doing wrong.

If you ever find a better place, come back and let us know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll say it one more time.

GOG don't owe the developers of Devotion a single thing, just like all the others they turn away for whatever reason.
It's not up to GOG to be the poster boy against China, and they likely have sound financial reasons and agreements not to consider doing so, just for any old developer, who whether rightly or wrongly, is responsible for the situation with China.

Sure GOG have been the hero for DRM-Free and certain other game related aspects, but that doesn't mean they have do everything that crops up. At the end of the day, it is the store and customers that matter, not some Developer, many of whom haven't done exactly right by GOG and its customers over the years.

So stop expecting too much. Stop holding GOG to account, for what proved to be a silly thing by the developers. They even removed the offending stuff, which in my book is even more ridiculous, and doesn't earn my respect. They poked the bear ... what were they thinking in the first place, but once done live with it ... don't pretend it never happened ... only makes you look foolish for not considering things properly in the first place. And some wanted GOG to carry that torch ... get real.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another way to look at this, is that GOG are selling games into China, and that has to be a good thing ... outside of the financial gain. Those games can't all be checked by China, and much of their content will have lasting effect on players there. Positive things will come out of it, perhaps eventually the changes we all want.

Why should GOG jeopardize what is overall more important.

Like I've said elsewhere, sometimes you have to join with them (to a point) or embrace them to some degree to make change, and it doesn't happen overnight.
Just as with previous post. I stopped after a sentence.

Enjoy the high horse though, should be a fun ride.
low rated
Chielus86:
When will you leave? You said it 9 days ago, and you are still posting here.

Devotion developers retired their game from Steam (or did Valve "invited" them to retire it?), and no other online shop sells the damn game. Why everybody blames GOG for not selling the game? Is it because it is a polish company? Why not blaming Valve or any other company for the same reason? Is Valve "bowing to a the Communist Party of another nation" because not trying to re-launch the game in almost two years?

This is capitalism in a globalized market. If a company thinks selling a product brings them more problems than revenues, it's of common sense not selling that product.

It has already been explained in this thread before:

Enebias: They bent to "capital". Chinese money is money, they calculated that the losses from that market would far surpass the gains from Devotion's sales and they cut it out, like every single other corporation in the world would have.
samuraigaiden: No problem, dude. I just hope you also don't buy anything on Steam, Epic, Uplay, Origin, Battle.net, PlayStation, Xbox, etc. That would incredibly hypocritical on your part.

Newsflash: whatever problem you have with China and it's influence over the rest of the world, videogame companies can't do anything about it. In the grand scheme of things, videogame companies are as influential to world politics as a chain of grocery stores.
Timboli: GOG don't owe the developers of Devotion a single thing, just like all the others they turn away for whatever reason.
[...]
At the end of the day, it is the store and customers that matter, not some Developer, many of whom haven't done exactly right by GOG and its customers over the years.
And finally let me cite the funnier post in this thread :-):

Chielus86:
sanscript: "I want to leave and announce it LOUDLY to add points to my ego, but still stand here to make a discussion, in which I'm staying to be a part of further., and will probably not leave anyway".
Farewell.
I do understand the sentiment. GoG became a giant letdown the last couple of years. I honestly like the idea of the store, the spirit but it does appear to be dying. So while I'm not proclaiming to "leave" (what's the point, I don't live "in" or "with" GoG lol), I'm no longer spending any money here since it became way too expensive and beyond my means
Chielus86: Just as with previous post. I stopped after a sentence.

My high horse? You must be joking.

It is your high horse that is causing you to leave.

I'm just trying to get you to be more reasonable and logical.

And I stopped after 3 sentences ... but who the GOG cares?

Enjoy Paradise.

Oops, make that 4 sentences. ;)
All the storefronts have been compromised by the CCP. GoG is the least offensive of the bunch.
low rated
Slick_JMista: All the storefronts have been compromised by the CCP. GoG is the least offensive of the bunch.
If GOG is the 'least offensive' then quit them all.
Chielus86: Just as with previous post. I stopped after a sentence.

That's irony gold. XD
Slick_JMista: All the storefronts have been compromised by the CCP. GoG is the least offensive of the bunch.
GreasyDogMeat: If GOG is the 'least offensive' then quit them all.
it isnt just limited to storefronts, but movies and television. Are you going to stop watching them as well?
low rated
Slick_JMista: it isnt just limited to storefronts, but movies and television. Are you going to stop watching them as well?
Yes. Are your beliefs and values so easily discarded?

I think the last movie I watched was Interstellar, and the last show I watched was first season of Better Call Saul Season 1.
Post edited December 31, 2020 by GreasyDogMeat
Slick_JMista: it isnt just limited to storefronts, but movies and television. Are you going to stop watching them as well?
GreasyDogMeat: Yes. Are your beliefs and values so easily discarded?

I think the last movie I watched was Interstellar, and the last show I watched was first season of Better Call Saul Season 1.
good for you, then.
low rated
Slick_JMista: good for you, then.
It really is. Its all a bunch of unoriginal mind rot.
GreasyDogMeat: I think the last movie I watched was Interstellar ....
A brilliant movie.

HAPPY NEW YEAR all ... finally made it to 2021 ... and I'm still at GOG ... who'd have thought.

Thanks GOG ... we had some rough patches, and I was toying with leaving myself at one point. But things picked up, and I came up with some improvement options etc etc. And you bought back some great games, with the Heretic & Hexen Collection topping it off.

Lets hope 2021 really shines. :)