It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Zrevnur: I just made it (the Galaxy button at the bottom) go away with Ublock "Block Element..." function.

Edit: This also works (very easily once the function is understood) on the https://www.gog.com/account page: No more Galaxy download buttons before the offline installers!
I hadn't thought to try that on the account page....works like a charm though!!! Thanks for the tip.
richlind33: We crossed that bridge a long, long time ago. Having an ignore function is absolutely essential, unless you're willing to ban people for being immature -- which would probably reduce the traffic so much that you'd have to ask if it's worth the trouble of having a discussion forum.
toxicTom: Yeah well. The old dilemma: Let people fortify their filter bubbles (ignore function, jerkmuter) or risk open conflict. I'm all for the latter, but I can understand a storefront not sharing this position ;-)
The only thing I'm inclined to filter out are people who can't engage in reasoned discourse. "Left" or "right" makes no difference to me whatsoever.

Now they're downvoting you, which is about as unreasonable as unreasonable gets. ;p
richlind33: The only thing I'm inclined to filter out are people who can't engage in reasoned discourse. "Left" or "right" makes no difference to me whatsoever.
That's you. Many people tend to block/filter people who disagree with them. See this on FB every day...

richlind33: Now they're downvoting you, which is about as unreasonable as unreasonable gets. ;p
Yeah, lol. Paradoxically reasons are often not reasonable. ;-)
low rated
richlind33: Now they're downvoting you, which is about as unreasonable as unreasonable gets. ;p
They might have said "eh too much to do, i'll just automate it" and set their tools to hit everyone and called it a day.

toxicTom: That's you. Many people tend to block/filter people who disagree with them. See this on FB every day...
That's actually more than just him.....it's also anyone who has a thick enough skin and the ability to mentally ignore things they dislike.....if I ran such sites i'd ban such features and tools(though i'd allow posts to be hidden), as I believe such tools and features only worsen the "special sn*wflake" mentality and enlarge the echo chambers people like to build nowadays.
Post edited December 05, 2019 by GameRager
ColaPoweredGamer: Can I petition GOG stuff to improve the forum?
Leroux: […] The forums are a hopeless case, we should probably cherish that they're still up and more or less functional in the first place. Maybe one day, far off in the future they will replace this old forum with something (hopefully) better, but it will probably mean losing all the posts in the old forum, and maybe without warning.
I concur.
toxicTom: […] The whole forum would need a complete overhaul. For years now. For GOG the forum - esp. the General - is probably not really important. Only a small minority of GOG users ever post here. More important are probably the game forums, because that where you can get help without pestering GOG support (users help users). […]
Probably, when the forum is updated (and any and every forum application available is better than this, but there are no doubt specific hooks into the forum that Gog built for their marketplace that would be time consuming to replicate in a new system, as well as the clunky spam control "feature" you outlined) all of these conversations will just be archived (i.e., file-thirteen).
bram1253: […]
But the weirdest part is seeing no mods replying to threads anymore.
Where did they all go?

2 years ago mods actively participated in discussions and there was hardly any moderation whatsoever on these forums, judging by what I read here it's become a lot more moderated all the while moderators have distanced themselves from the community.

Has this been happening for a long time now?
[…]
Yes.
bram1253: I wonder why this one is getting targeted in particular.
Leroux: The first rule about the rep system: You don't talk about the rep system. ;)
I laughed.
bram1253: 2 years ago mods actively participated in discussions and there was hardly any moderation whatsoever on these forums, judging by what I read here it's become a lot more moderated all the while moderators have distanced themselves from the community.
Leroux: The most mind boggling thing is that at some point they actually acknowledged that many were not happy with the lack of communication and several new developments, so they invited selected community members to the GOG HQ in Warsaw to have a talk about how relations could be improved. GOG staff listened and promised to do better in the future. But since then nothing really has changed, at least not for the better.
Which means it is a management problem.
phaolo: […] So, be careful about who you're going to trust here.
Good advice, generally. ;)
sanscript: […]
some forums enlists community mods as well) and you solve many problems. So it can be done... […]
That is the easiest and cheapest way to correct this problem. Amateurs work for free, and would police the forum vigorously. visibly and therefore transparently (since a moderator acting hypocritically would be a popular target for complaints).
low rated
GameRager: Just because your biggest problem(i.e. TinyE) is gone doesn't mean you need to leave rude remarks for other users.
Wait... what happened to him? Gone gone or temp ban gone?
low rated
scientiae: That is the easiest and cheapest way to correct this problem. Amateurs work for free, and would police the forum vigorously. visibly and therefore transparently (since a moderator acting hypocritically would be a popular target for complaints).
Good point/ideas, and good post(even if I snipped most of it out to highlight this one part).

GreasyDogMeat: Wait... what happened to him? Gone gone or temp ban gone?
Gone gone....if you want more info go to the link below(it is just a quicktopics where I list my new modding criticisms discussion now that the old one has been closed)....there you will find the full story as told to me by staff and others, along with what I knew myself.

(I would post it here but it's not the thread topic and I don't want to derail/etc more than I have...Posts on TinyE's current status/what is going on are in posts 11 and 25 in the link below, and also post 27 which I will be adding to summarize it all.)

Gog modding quicktopics

Edit: Changed improper post number above.
Post edited December 05, 2019 by GameRager
DetouR6734: Here to collect.
GameRager: -35 rep? Pleb numbers, fam. I merely ENTER and post and some cower in fear of me while hitting their minus buttons. o.0

(To those who have broken joke detectors I am not trying to brag about my nega r*p as if I like it or want it or want to do stuff to get it)
I know, you stole all my Negs, theif, they spammed that minus button so hard, by the time they got to my posts, they had already worn it out.. As for Tonto he's now almost doubled his figure.

Besides some crazy people have upvoted me,, whom you musta paid!
low rated
To GoG Staff

If you want to figure out who is downvoting enmass, this thread is probably a good place to start investigating.

I'm not sure the exact layout of the tables for the database, but everyone's vote is still kept track of. Thus if we assume

Table User {
int userid;
string name;
}

Table Games {
int userid;
}

For the forums it could be close to

Table ForumTopics {
int groupid; //like General, or French General or I have no mouth and i must scream, etc.
int topicid;
int creatorid; //also userid, who started this thread, ect.
string nameoftopic; //displayed string
string urloftopic; //Used for the URL, fixes near identical or new topics with old names
bool hidden;
}

Table Messages {
int topicid;
int messageid;
int userid;
Date DateTime;
Date LastModified;
string message;
int votetotal;
}

Table Votes {
int userid;
int topicid;
int messageid;
int vote; //-1, +1; -2 would be mark it as spam or something.
}

Probably more. however isolating only the messages that are low rated here, then comparing the votes to see high common users who vote the same on every message that is getting low rated for... no real good reason. Combined with users who never bought a game or heavily vote but never actually comment, and probably have unintelligible usernames.

Do a site-wide check on the forums of other places up/down voted and have them removed and adjust scores as appropriate, including fixing the rep of said victims. Shouldn't be too hard. Doing dry runs to see the results and then checking to see how widespread it is.

---

On a side note, you could also change the value of votes based on how many games they 'bought' as well. So 0 bought games is 0 votes, but if they bought/own say 7 non-free games, then it's .07 of a vote, up to 100 games for 1 full vote.

Sorta like the $5 minimum purchase to make topics after the spam we had a few years ago. Not the preferred method but measures have to be taken. Having 0 vote power makes owning bots for that purpose a bit useless.
low rated
rtcvb32: To GoG Staff

If you want to figure out who is downvoting enmass, this thread is probably a good place to start investigating.
Did you send all this to gog/Lexrust? It might help more if you sent it to them as they might not be reading this thread.
low rated
DetouR6734: I know, you stole all my Negs, theif, they spammed that minus button so hard, by the time they got to my posts, they had already worn it out..
Eh, if you want them you can have them....and the other ratings as well...they are mostly worthless, after all.

DetouR6734: Besides some crazy people have upvoted me,, whom you musta paid!
I don't have that kind of money, believe me. o.0
scientiae: visibly and therefore transparently (since a moderator acting hypocritically would be a popular target for complaints).
I have a dream... that one day GOG will start asking for community mods...

And on that day... the forum turned into a ashes. And around that ash, only crickets sang...
Post edited December 07, 2019 by sanscript
low rated
scientiae: visibly and therefore transparently (since a moderator acting hypocritically would be a popular target for complaints).
sanscript: I have a dream... that one day GOG will start asking for community mods...

And on that day... the forum turned into a ashes. And around that ash, only crickets sang...
When gog does that it'll be 2 weeks before the "retirement" of the universe, most likely.
low rated
I just can't believe the amount of weaponized down-voting in threads about...

... people's favorite games, GOG requests, giveaways, etc...

I understand down-voting if a person is clearly breaking GOG forum rules... or if they show consistently poor and disruptive behavior...

... but...

... harassing people because you simply don't like them is wrong.

I see people down-voted for being helpful, for congratulating others, and for offering to a discussion. It's crazy... and not how the reputation system was meant to be used.

It was meant to be an "early warning" system for mods but has become a weapon to harass and drive people from the site... often used by people interpreting GOG rules incorrectly. The sad thing is that many abusing the system in fact think they're justified in doing so. They feel it's fine to use their electronic scarlett letter to discredit people they see as their "foes."

There's more than enough room on this forum for all opinions, types of people (respect), and game discussions. There is no room here for harassment.
Post edited December 07, 2019 by kai2
I press the negative button to close posts because my mouse wheel is broken. It makes scrolling down a lot easier. That's what it's for... right?