It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
Klumpen0815: No I don't. Where is it? I cannot change it in the standard "settings", not in the settings hidden in the boards and not anywhere else.
DyNaer: Store pages , NOT forums pages. ;)
Oh, I must have overlooked it there and only searched more thouroughly here, thanks.
high rated
GOG.com: New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

[...]

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

[...]
Sorry GOG, but I can't even try to say this in a nice way - who ever makes design decisions at GOG.com needs some intensive lessons in aesthetics. It's a substantial visual revamp alright, but don't for a minute think that it's an improvement over the previous design. I take your word that it's mobile-friendly, which by definition means that you completely disregard all your users that access your site from their PCs, thanks so much for that, much appreciated coming from a site dedicated to PC games. I dread the announced "more overhaul" that's to come.

I won't comment on all the bugs already reported by others, in hope that they're indeed bugs that you're going to fix over the next days, but I suppose that you do realise that the forum (still the old code) now looks and works a lot worse with the new big bright blunt top bar and the tall footer that takes up almost half the page.

If your goal was to make us spend less time on here, then congrats, you've succeeded.

Sorry for the tone, but the shock is too great.
I started a wishlist item, hopefully not a duplicate. I know most smartphones and pads are 1920px wide, but present day web design trends are ridiculous.

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/optional_site_layout_for_lower_and_nonwide_resolutions
I dont like the new design (Mac and iPad). Sorry to say.

-Lohengriehn
Damn it, the old search bar's gone! I can handle the newspaper/mobile-friendly layouts fine, but this needs to change. It was so easy to simply type in a few letters and get the game I was searching for. Now I have to load a new page. This + adding in the green-yellow GOG logo would be major improvements for the new site, as well as more visual attention for the headlines. Everything else is fine or better.
Crewdroog: thanks for making the site more mobile friendly. It was a pain in the butt to use some of the features before. :)
Klumpen0815: Yes, now it's a pain in the butt on desktop PCs. oO
Would it be so hard to make both accessible?

My eMail provider besides some others has a mobile and a desktop version of their web design and this works quite well.
This is the era of Windows Modern UI and Ubuntu Unity. All devices must be treated equally. It doesn't matter if it's a 4 inch smartphone, an 8 inch tablet, a 15 inch laptop, a 27 inch computer monitor or a 60 inch TV. Everything must look the same. Argh, that was tough, my v key just quite working.
Hey GOG,

I noticed the titles I don't yet own are black in the catalog, while those I do own are grayed out. My eyesight is bad, so it took me ten minutes to even notice, and I still can't tell unbought games at a glance.

Previously, the server load generated by fetching ownership data to the catalog view was the reason we couldn't hide owned games.
Now i see it's fetched all right.

PLEASE LET US HIDE OWNED GAMES in the catalog.

Thank you.

Also, I'm going to miss big release banners, and the removal of the game "box" from the game card is frankly bullshit.
And I can't wishlist unbought games from the list anymore, which sucks.
Otherwise, needs more purple, but fine.
I dunno if I like this change. But I guess I will get used to it.
rjfigueiredo: Very well, now you convert $ to € and show on the store, but my question is: how often is that updated? Tomorrow it might be more or less.
Its not updated - the prices are fixed and there is no way to choose the currency you use. You MUST pay in the currency where you're residing.
jesus this site is the fucking best
GOG.com: New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

[...]

[...]
HypersomniacLive: Sorry GOG, but I can't even try to say this in a nice way - who ever makes design decisions at GOG.com needs some intensive lessons in aesthetics. It's a substantial visual revamp alright, but don't for a minute think that it's an improvement over the previous design. I take your word that it's mobile-friendly, which by definition means that you completely disregard all your users that access your site from their PCs, thanks so much for that, much appreciated coming from a site dedicated to PC games. I dread the announced "more overhaul" that's to come.

I won't comment on all the bugs already reported by others, in hope that they're indeed bugs that you're going to fix over the next days, but I suppose that you do realise that the forum (still the old code) now looks and works a lot worse with the new big bright blunt top bar and the tall footer that takes up almost half the page.

If your goal was to make us spend less time on here, then congrats, you've succeeded.

Sorry for the tone, but the shock is too great.
Well spoken! I don't have a smartphone so I don't know what this looks like there, but it appears to me that GoG has settled for a lazy compromise with a one-size-fit-all design. GoG should use separate design for small and normal-sized screens so that the experience can be optimal on both. A new design is not necessary, just revert desktop/normal-sized-screen users back to the old GoG design, and keep the new one for mobile if it is indeed better for mobile.

I see a very unsatisfactory web design trend where web developers make a one-size-fit-all design for both small and normal-sized screens and it is disturbing.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by lunah
Please get rid of the "Read more" on the main descriptions!
If I clciked to get there it's to read that (or not) and look around. Having to click again to display text that is already laoded in memory is ... frustrating (to remain polite).
Ill get used to it, but why loose the colors in the logo?

Why?

yet another grey and white lifeless site.
Is it perhaps an omen what to come!

*Twilight Zone theme starts*
It's great to see local currencies implemented on GOG!
k1bell: I don't mind the new design.
I very much mind that the games catalogue no longer show if I own those games I already owned.
I agree. That was a very helpful feature and it would be great to have it back.