It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
What's with all the oblique fontery all over the games' individual pages?

Suddenly all the specs, game description and reviews are appearing in an oblique font that's laborious to read. Anyone else seeing this? I guess it could be my browser, but I don't see how -- I haven't changed ant settings or installed a new version.

If this is intentional redesign, please don't, GOG. Change it back!!

ADDED:
Okay, looks like it's broken coding on some pages. For instance, http://www.gog.com/game/bloodnet, from today's Birthday Sale, shows the problem (on both of my browsers); http://www.gog.com/game/race_the_sun does not.
Post edited September 13, 2014 by Branais
Branais: ADDED:
Okay, looks like it's broken coding on some pages. For instance, http://www.gog.com/game/bloodnet, from today's Birthday Sale, shows the problem (on both of my browsers); http://www.gog.com/game/race_the_sun does not.
At a glance, I think this is where someone forgot to close a tag:
<i>Manhattan. New York, New York. 2094
high rated
Checking out games from the birthday celebration promo, I noticed (granted, with a big delay) something that makes me feel quite uncomfortable.

Look at the attached screenshot and pay attention to the wording used in the "DRM-FREE" bit (emphasis mine):
DRM-FREE. No activation or online connection required to play.
"To play"?!? What about "to install"? Are we to expect games that may require activation or online connection during installation?

I sure hope this is just the result of someone screwing up, in which case I'd appreciate a correction/ rephrasing a.s.a.p.
Otherwise it'd appear that GOG has significantly narrowed down their definition of DRM-free, leaving a lot of room for all sorts of requirements during installation, and that is a very alarming sign for what we may see down the road.

I would very much appreciate it if a blue text commented officially on this matter.
Attachments:
I hope that this is only a summary of the attributes of GOG like on the main page (DRM-free, fair price package...). Because something like that would suck...
high rated
The pessimist in me anticipates that, once Galaxy is out, we'll get new additions to the catalogue that will not be entirely DRM-free. I'm thinking multiplayer oriented and even early access that require autopatching, that kind of things
rodrolliv: The pessimist in me anticipates that, once Galaxy is out, we'll get new additions to the catalogue that will not be entirely DRM-free. I'm thinking multiplayer oriented and even early access that require autopatching, that kind of things
Actually early access arriving on gog is already comfirmed going from this gamespot interview of Guillaume: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/gog-celebrates-six-years-of-advancing-the-drm-free/1100-6422150/

Also gog did state in the galaxy announcement that some games will be multiplayer only so bound on Galaxy - nothing new really.

HypersomniacLive:
I did wonder about that description also - it seems to me that they might just go the drm-lite way since this is a drm-free store and such explanations are only needed in mixed drm and drm-free stores.
Post edited September 14, 2014 by Matruchus
As I said in my first impression about the *new* GOG, changes could be a good thing.
Now the changes here are far from good. Its still very slow for me; movies...i don't care about them; the filters are still the same (hey why not filter the owned games from the list..it would save time);
Ah, well in the end there are only the games that counts for me, and here i would love to see more released on GOG...and no not more Indie Games.
Yes, I'll check the site every day but buying? From the releases this year i only bought a few and my wish list is rather short (with only one game...).
HypersomniacLive: Checking out games from the birthday celebration promo, I noticed (granted, with a big delay) something that makes me feel quite uncomfortable.

Look at the attached screenshot and pay attention to the wording used in the "DRM-FREE" bit (emphasis mine):

HypersomniacLive: "To play"?!? What about "to install"? Are we to expect games that may require activation or online connection during installation?

I sure hope this is just the result of someone screwing up, in which case I'd appreciate a correction/ rephrasing a.s.a.p.
Otherwise it'd appear that GOG has significantly narrowed down their definition of DRM-free, leaving a lot of room for all sorts of requirements during installation, and that is a very alarming sign for what we may see down the road.

I would very much appreciate it if a blue text commented off100% DRM-FREEicially on this matter.
There's still the "100% DRM-FREE You buy it – it’s yours" on the front page, so I assume it's just bad wording. But an official statement would be nice, especially as the Galaxy client is about to come.
HypersomniacLive: Checking out games from the birthday celebration promo, I noticed (granted, with a big delay) something that makes me feel quite uncomfortable.

HypersomniacLive: "To play"?!? What about "to install"? Are we to expect games that may require activation or online connection during installation?

I would very much appreciate it if a blue text commented officially on this matter.
It's purely a wording thing. You could probably argue as well that online connection is actually required to play if a game has a multi-player component and this is what you want to play. Furthermore, the optional Galaxy Client will allow you to install games directly from GOG servers as well as patch them, so you could also argue that online connection is required not just for downloading but also for installation in such case. But it's a technical and wording thing, not any change in how we understand DRM or how our standalone installers work.

Matruchus: I did wonder about that description also - it seems to me that they might just go the drm-lite way since this is a drm-free store and such explanations are only needed in mixed drm and drm-free stores.
FYI a lot of people who visit GOG - I don't want to say majority but actually it could be the case - don't know what is this DRM = what DRM-free means. Please keep in mind that most people posting here are power-users on the other hand, and for them this explanation is actually needed the least.
Post edited September 15, 2014 by Destro
Matruchus: I did wonder about that description also - it seems to me that they might just go the drm-lite way since this is a drm-free store and such explanations are only needed in mixed drm and drm-free stores.

FYI a lot of people who visit GOG - I don't want to say majority but actually it could be the case - don't know what is this DRM = what DRM-free means. Please keep in mind that most people posting here are power-users on the other hand, and for them this explanation is actually needed the least.
Thanks for your explanation - it does make sense in a way but as others stated its a very narrow definition of drm-free. Otherweise the notification system is again broken - no notifications again (Firefox 32) so was lucky to see your post in this thread.
Destro: Furthermore, the optional Galaxy Client will allow you to install games directly from GOG servers as well as patch them, so you could also argue that online connection is required not just for downloading but also for installation in such case.
Where a lot of people here draw the line is the installation part. If the client is truly optional and the non Galaxy installers stay the same, then it's fine, but if the only way to install is to go through some form of authentication with or without galaxy, then that's DRM, and most people here will see it that way.

[ FYI a lot of people who visit GOG - I don't want to say majority but actually it could be the case - don't know what is this DRM = what DRM-free means. Please keep in mind that most people posting here are power-users on the other hand, and for them this explanation is actually needed the least.
With the feeling around the GOG office apparently being that the people on the GOG forum are "The most conserative part of our fanbase", as well as the apparent perception that 'DRM/DRM-Free' is possibly only a meaningful phrase to a minority of their fanbase, I'm really starting to wonder what the long term future of DRM will be on GOG.

With games like Planetary Annihilation being suggested in the past it already felt like leaning towards DRM-light. Especially with that particular definition of 'DRM-free' being unworkable with multiplayer. It kind of feels like any DRM that might come with multiplayer might be brushed away because "You need to be online anyway"
Post edited September 15, 2014 by Pheace
high rated
Pheace: Where a lot of people here draw the line is the installation part. If the client is truly optional and the non Galaxy installers stay the same, then it's fine, but if the only way to install is to go through some form of authentication with or without galaxy, then that's DRM, and most people here will see it that way.
As I've said in the previous post, Galaxy Client is optional, and there is "not any change in how our standalone installers work".
*wonders if the bar at the top will be deliberately left grey.......*
Niggles: *wonders if the bar at the top will be deliberately left grey.......*
I hope so. I've never been less annoyed by that [1] that just refuses to go away. They really need a way to clear any notifications, I really can't be bothered visiting updated games and the associated tabs every single time there's an update, *particularly* when that still doesn't result in clearing the notification (or sometimes takes hours to do so)
Matruchus: Otherweise the notification system is again broken - no notifications again (Firefox 32) so was lucky to see your post in this thread.
For me it's even more broken now. So far only the number of replies in the menu was missing. Now my posts get not even added anymore to the list under ACCOUNT -> FORUM REPLIES.

Also the counter in the game shelf for the total number and the number of updated games is gone permanently now. So far it was missing only occasionally, probably when the site was under high load, but now that the birthday promo has ended the counter still isn't back.
Post edited September 15, 2014 by eiii