It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
shmerl: Another bug. Now GOG have added an RSS feed to the site (or was it there before? I didn't notice). feed://www.gog.com/frontpage/rss

However it's not detected by the browser (how usually it detects it by placing the feed icon in the URL bar, or at least Firefox used to do that and classic theme restorer still does). GOG doesn't follow the RSS convention.

In order to enable it, there should be for example such element in the page:

<link rel="alternate" type="application/rss+xml" title="GOG RSS" href="https://www.gog.com/frontpage/rss" />
the feeder is there for quite some times (count in years)
DyNaer: the feeder is there for quite some times (count in years)
Then this bug is old, but it's still not fixed :)
Post edited September 01, 2014 by shmerl
shmerl: Then this bug it's old, but it's still not fixed :)
ooh , you speak about the link to the feeder which "doesn't work properly" , yeah it's quite old.

i always knew it with this problem :(
Post edited September 01, 2014 by DyNaer
It seems that when I buy a game, the forum of that game/series is not automatically added to the forum front page.
DyNaer: ooh , you speak about the link to the feeder which "doesn't work properly" , yeah it's quite old.

i always know it with this problem :(
I think it's simply missing. Without the <link> tag the browser would have no clue that some feed is associated with the page and would never indicate it in the interface.
Post edited September 01, 2014 by shmerl
high rated
I suffer from depression and one of the things that could brighten me up, was visiting the GOG website, hanging out with people who like old games, who act a lot more considerate than on most other websites.

However, since the color change to the website, looking at it keeps me repressed. Despite the community is still as nice, there's that grey colorless bar over all of the pages, following you down as you scroll down a page, just like my depression is hanging as a grey cloud over my life, following me everywhere.

On top of that, the feeling of being liked is lessened by my own avatar not turning up anymore next to the account button in the title bar.

Unpersonal, grey, depressing, cold. That's how the new looks feels.

Please, bring back the color to the site and thereby add some color to my life again.
DubConqueror: Unpersonal, grey, depressing, cold. That's how the new looks feels.
+1
Daliz: It seems that when I buy a game, the forum of that game/series is not automatically added to the forum front page.
I have reported the issue to the support team.
It's hopefully only a little glitch.
Just wanted to point one issue out in this thread - there is now a 7th Legion promo on at the moment and I almost did not notice it since I have to scroll down now to see the Headlines/News. It might be good to throw those five game/movie tiles above it too make the frontpage more viewable. You do have a games/movie list on the right side of the frontpage and there is also latest deals widget there.

Also for some reason is the frontpage crashing now on this day and this happened several times and im laying by the picture of that.

Edit: And frontpage crashed again adding another picture of it.

Also since 7th Legion is on promo now it would be good to put it on the top of the on sale list on frontpage and not at the bottom of it.
Attachments:
crash2.jpeg (57 Kb)
Post edited September 01, 2014 by Matruchus
Some things I really don't like so far:
- Black star ratings.
Yes, everything on the top page has to be color-free. But they are very hard to see. In the posts they are golden again. Rather keep it the same color - and let this color be "gold". Elsewise they're really hard to find.

- Whislisting
First, it's in one line with the social media. Social media is rather an outgoing link to me and has nothing to do with wishlisting. Second, I don't see when I whislisted something. Yeah, it says "WISHLIST IT" and "WISHLISTED" which it's not easy to see. At least make the heart only full if it's already wishlisted.

- Images.
First, there seems to be an arrow missing to click through the images. Very annoying. Second, I miss an closer view of the images without new tabs.

- Free goodies.
Hard to see under the images (and without colors :/ ). Couldn't you add them under the "Buy item" box, so you can easily see them, if you want to buy the game?

- Game descriptions.
On the old gog, I mostly just checked the dots and then I maybe read the text. Now the dots are default hidden, which is kinda sad. :/ Now I have to do more to get the shorter information. This is kinda wrong.

- Colored gog mixes.
You took away every color from the page and put it... into the gog mixes. Yey. Five colors for one box - no, only for the votings. You didn't have a color for the votings for the game, but you have three colors to differ if a gog mix has 5-13, 13-17 or 17-23 votes? Make the ones with less than 30 votes a little more grey and that's enough.

Summarized:
1. Use more color to differ important things.
2. Add an image viewer.
3. It could have been worse. You did a good job. (;
GothaBlutauge: Some things I really don't like so far:
- Black star ratings.
Yes, everything on the top page has to be color-free. But they are very hard to see. In the posts they are golden again. Rather keep it the same color - and let this color be "gold". Elsewise they're really hard to find.

- Whislisting
First, it's in one line with the social media. Social media is rather an outgoing link to me and has nothing to do with wishlisting. Second, I don't see when I whislisted something. Yeah, it says "WISHLIST IT" and "WISHLISTED" which it's not easy to see. At least make the heart only full if it's already wishlisted.

- Images.
First, there seems to be an arrow missing to click through the images. Very annoying. Second, I miss an closer view of the images without new tabs.

- Free goodies.
Hard to see under the images (and without colors :/ ). Couldn't you add them under the "Buy item" box, so you can easily see them, if you want to buy the game?

- Game descriptions.
On the old gog, I mostly just checked the dots and then I maybe read the text. Now the dots are default hidden, which is kinda sad. :/ Now I have to do more to get the shorter information. This is kinda wrong.

- Colored gog mixes.
You took away every color from the page and put it... into the gog mixes. Yey. Five colors for one box - no, only for the votings. You didn't have a color for the votings for the game, but you have three colors to differ if a gog mix has 5-13, 13-17 or 17-23 votes? Make the ones with less than 30 votes a little more grey and that's enough.

Summarized:
1. Use more color to differ important things.
2. Add an image viewer.
3. It could have been worse. You did a good job. (;
+1 (except for the last part. To me, the new version is lacking in many necessary functionalities, but great suggestions.)
I too suffer from chronic depression and gog.com's new site design is really dark and depressing. I am not feeling depressed very much at the moment but I could not go on here in one for my really severely depressed moments. I don't get why they had to change the design so drastically. It looked far better in color. Now it looks like Steam the website but even steam has more shades of grey, white and black than this. I do hope you reconsider the color scheme at least gog.com as I find it horrible. I don't consider it fresher. It gives me depressing death vibes. I need to stop now before I get too upset over something so trivial. Like other people have said. gog.com used to be a place I would come to, to cheer up and buy great games, but now it just makes me sad and not want to be here. I am just glad the people here are still really nice. I just wish this website could return to it's good lively old form instead of this dark, depressing and deathly looking one.
Post edited September 01, 2014 by writer2036
high rated
I hate to say this , but I am normally tempted to buy something from gog every few weeks , but this new design just makes me go elsewhere .. I said it before and I'll say it again , it now looks like iTunes (only worse ) and I fucking hate iTunes.

Sad that they don't seem to give a shit what their long time members think either.

I'm all for change when its done right , but this is just really really bad. :(

Oh and to whoever designed this shit , maybe you consider doing something else as a job.
And to gog ... I would ask for a refund ;)
Post edited September 01, 2014 by summitus
high rated
GOG.com: First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.
what on earth? what? huh? this makes no sense other than you trying to get at a piece of the market. If you want to do it, I guess fine, but keep it secondary and out of my face, because I DON'T CARE. You need an entirely different section or sibling-website for this junk.\
GOG.com: Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!
Wow. Even your announcement is poorly done. This should be "Firstly..." because it is what is obviously notable and noticeable FIRST.

Moving along.

WTF?!?! You wanted to go mobile-friendly? WHY?!?! Is your data showing that more people are playing these old games on mobile devices than on their desktops/laptops? (I would like a yes or no answer here.) All of the stuff you list: 'easier to find games, notice promos, see what's new...main page, catalogue page, product pages, checkout...", I don't know if that is true for the mobile devices, but it is absolutely NOT TRUE for me as a desktop user. EVERYTHING is worse. Uglier, less intuitive, more cluttered/poorly organized and navigatable; exceedingly NOT user-friendly.
GOG.com: PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
You make this a P.S.? To me that sounds like you're trying to treat it like it's not a big deal when you know it is. You should be devastated to lose all of these games and make a deal out of it accordingly. "We're SO SORRY, we know this is not the direction you like to see us heading in, and we definitely hate to lose valued games from our catalogue, but in business certain things are inescapable and here is why we have to get rid of these games:." When you got rid of the Fallout games I think most people understood and you did a good job being like "hey, it's not us, it's bethesda." Not so in this case. This is a good chunk of good games lost for what reason? And your attitude is "and uhh, oh yeah, we're getting *coughmumble* rid of some games *mumble. Here they are super-cheap to keep complaints to a minimum."

I understand most consumers are stupid, but not all of us are. You are advertising as "New and improved" (which it is not) which means nothing when at your core you have removed games from your catalogue and effectively are "diminished and not as good as we used to be." It's like being a pizza shop and you get new boxes for your take-out pizzas, but you made your pizzas smaller and you're trying to make the customer care about the cooler looking box but not about the fact that their pizzas are now smaller. Not a 100% analogy, but I hope you get what I mean (if you even read it.)

It's amazing how fast you went bad.

HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT. GOG has gone from my favorite website to completely hateable. User-UNFRIENDLY, ugly, unintuitive; unbelievable. Now I will be checking on your deals through facebook only and will only come here when there is one I'm going to purchase. Maybe I'll check back in a week to see if you've switched back to your old layout.
Why is everyone crowing about how awful this is? You DO realize you are reinforcing the widely-held belief that nerds don't like change, correct?

Also, I made a wishlist item to add DRM-free books. Basically I am really angry at Amazon for their recent practices that screw over authors of and I am *this* close to boycotting their Kindle and Audible stores entirely, and finding my ebooks elsewhere. One of those "elsewhere" types of stores needs to be GOG.com IMHO.