It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

50-60% off Grim Fandango Remastered, Broken Age, and Massive Chalice.

Double Fine Productions - it's the studio responsible for some of our favorite gaming experiences in the past few years. Even better, they're a studio made up of the folks that gave us some our absolute favorite gaming memories ever. This week we're highlighting three of the greatest recent hits by the team that influenced the gaming industry across the years - it's <span class="bold">Weekly Staff Picks: Double Fine, Triple Treat</span>, and 50-60% off!

There is no argument, Grim Fandango ranks among the most brilliant and innovative adventure games ever created. It earned a well-deserved, massive cult following for the unique Mexican-folklore setting, brilliant voice acting and all-around design perfection. Though the original release was a flawed product of its time in the gameplay department, Grim Fandango Remastered brings the entire experience up to modern day standards for a game that can easily be called one of the absolute best ever. MASSIVE CHALICE, the team's most recent release, is a completely different experience - it's a strategy title that takes place across ages and generations - the sheer scale of its timeline requires you to plan for years and years ahead as the Immortal Ruler of a nation locked in epic conflict. Finally, there's Broken Age, a title that's important not just as Tim Schafer's grand return to adventure gaming, but because it kickstarted a renaissance of classic game design and a generation of games free from corporate publishing deals and bottom lines.

Something historical, something innovative, and something trendsetting - it's <span class="bold">Double Fine, Triple Treat</span> on our Weekly Staff Picks! Treat yourself triple to deals at 50-60% off until Thursday, July 30, 9:59 AM GMT.
Not sure I agree with all the hate, yes double fine screwed up a bit here and there but really only Deepspace DF9 did they really drop the ball and abandon gamers. The others they worked to get out the door in reasonable shape even if it took longer and breaking broken age into two parts.

For someone patient like me it never really was an issue. It is crowd funding, shit happens along the way. End result is what matters and I enjoyed the documentaries along the way.

Since I don't have a GOG copy of massive chalice I'll pick it up here. I don't hold a grudge that they didn't release on GOG. They upheld the DRM free copy via humble which is kind of what I expected as it fits well with the steam key option. I'd be surprised it there wasn't additional cost in GOG keys on top of already arranged humble copies and rather money goes into game development or developers salaries.
Bluddy: According to Tim Schafer, he thought tank controls would be more immersive, because you'd be concerned with orienting the character itself as opposed to referencing things in the window. Which just goes to show you that a developer who's amazing at writing isn't necessarily very good at understanding UI.
wvpr: I guess a lot of 3D adventure games bought into the same logic. And it's not a bad idea. Fluid 3rd-person controls give you more direct contact with a single character, as intended. But when the controls are cumbersome, they tackle you out of your immersion rather than carry you deeper into it.
I think the main issue is that 'tank controls' are really ideal when the camera moves around with you. In that case, you get to navigate the world and see exactly what's in front of the character. When the camera is static, it's much harder to make out what your spatial barriers are, or to tell exactly which way the character is facing. This is especially bad when you have a system like Grim's, where real 3d is integrated with pre-rendered images.
Too bad I missed this sale. For fandangos sake.