It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Sometimes it’s good to see more from up ahead, especially in RPGs and tactical strategies. That’s why the latest Weekend Sale on GOG.COM is dedicated to games with the isometric viewpoint with up to 90% discounts. Here are some of them:

Bastion (-80%) is an action role-playing game with a reactive narrator who marks your every move. Explore over 40 hand-painted environments and listen to a mind-blowing score.

Disco Elysium (-20%) is an award-winning open-world RPG. As a detective with a unique skill system at your disposal, you must carve your path across the dystopian city of Revachol.

Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms (-65%) is an action RPG in which you become a demon that can devour the souls of the dead - and embody them as Puppets.

This Weekend Sale on GOG.COM ends on 9th March 2020, 2 PM UTC.
high rated
Chains of Satinav does not have isometric viewpoint AT ALL, GOG.
(And it also does not have German localisation - but you as well as Daedalic know this since ages ;))
Post edited March 06, 2020 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: Chains of Satinav does not have isometric viewpoint AT ALL, GOG.
Agreed. People throw terms they don't understand around like they mean nothing. This is even worse than all the discussion about Roguelikes, Roguelites and games that have zero in common with Rogue other than a tag with its name, because those lines are blurry. Isometric on the other hand is a well-defined term, there is no excuse to call a game isometric when it's obviously not.

For the record Gog: Age of Empires is isometric. Theme Hospital is isometric (and not on sale). Chains of Satinav is... a cool but definitely non-isometric game.

Edit: Probably the only reason they added Chains of Satinav was to be able to claim that this sale has discounts of up to 90%.
Post edited March 06, 2020 by joppo
Huh? A second weekend sale? The end is nigh!!!!
joppo: Agreed. People throw terms they don't understand around like they mean nothing. This is even worse than all the discussion about Roguelikes, Roguelites and games that have zero in common with Rogue other than a tag with its name, because these lines are blurry. Isometric on the other hand is a well-defined term, there is no excuse to call a game isometric when it not.

For the record Gog: Age of Empires is isometric. Theme Hospital is isometric (and not on sale). Chains of Satinav is... a cool but definitely non-isometric game.

Edit: Probably the only reason they added Chains of Satinav was to be able to claim that this sale has discounts of up to 90%.
Same reason they keep throwing in that Dwarves game.
This post is isometric viewport.
There's obviously a problem with using the term "isometric" with games that use properly perspectivised 3D, but at the same time, some of these games are obviously related to games that are most closely associated with genres using isometric viewpoints in the past. Lumo is the most obvious problem candidate here as a game that is a deliberate throwback to the traditional isometric adventures of the 1980s on the ZX Spectrum (Head over Heels, Batman, Alien 8, etc.) but uses perspective-correct 3D instead, despite relying on a more-or-less fixed top-front viewpoint.

So, if a game uses perspectivised 3D but still maintains a fixed, non-rotatable viewpoint that is clearly designed to invoke the isometric viewpoints of related games from the past, it's fair to say that these are still isometric in style.
Eh but they needed it for the "up to 90% discounts" slogan XD

EDIT: ninja'd
Post edited March 06, 2020 by phaolo
Maxvorstadt: Huh? A second weekend sale? The end is nigh!!!!
It is so I hope you have already stockpiled cans and toilet paper.
Maxvorstadt: Huh? A second weekend sale? The end is nigh!!!!
MarkoH01: It is so I hope you have already stockpiled cans and toilet paper.
Thanks to the Coronavirus, the toilet papers are sold out here. Damn, I wish I was a Prepper, then I would already have all that I need to survive the Coronaviruszombieapocalypse!
low rated
Oh wow, the whole weekend sale is of games I will never buy BECAUSE they are Isometric. Well darn. Ill keep my money this weekend then.

Edit: The last isometric game I bought anywhere was Fat Princess and it was in spite of isometric, due to its local multiplayer and its boatloads of charm.

Seriously, Isometrics: Its the turn of the century temporary technological stop gap solution.... TODAY! Two decades later.

EDIT: I will confess though, I will eventually buy Disco Elysium. Simply because it truly does something different not just with isometric gameplay but with RPGs in general. Its not in any way a typical isometric "traffic gridlock simulator" game play mechanic. Ive seen enough of that game to know that in spite of it being isometric, that game is a masterpiece, regardless of what perspective it is in.
Post edited March 06, 2020 by viranimus
viranimus: Seriously, Isometrics: Its the turn of the century temporary technological stop gap solution.... TODAY! Two decades later.
So, what's better? I mean, how would you present a tactical multi-character game like Jagged Alliance, Silent Storm, ATOM, Shadowrun, etc. if not "isometric"? Overhead, which isometric effectively replaced in games like Avadon?

edit: disclaimer: I will not be buying any of the games in this sale, either, but because I already own over half and am not interested in any of the others (maybe Avernum, but not that badly as I already have the older version(s)). In particular, I will probably not ever buy Disco Elysium.
Post edited March 06, 2020 by darktjm
GOG.com: Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms (-65%) is an action RPG in which you become a demon that can devour the souls of the dead - and embody them as Puppets.
The GOG editor should not be pushing that game in particular (and it probably shouldn't even be for sale on GOG any more) since it is totally obsolete.

The devs re-made that game in a new & better engine, and also they added the second 50% of its content, to the updated version of that same game, which is called "Shadows: Awakening" (which is also in this same sale.)

And note too that the devs didn't screw anyone over when this happened, as they gave to purchasers of the original ("Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms") a copy of the newer & complete version of the game ("Shadows: Awakening") for free.

"Shadows: Awakening" is an excellent game. And that's the one that the GOG editor should be advertising. Customers who are new to these games aren't going to understand that "Shadows: Heretic Kingdoms" is an incomplete & obsolete version of the game that makes no sense to buy or play any more.
Post edited March 06, 2020 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
Ancient-Red-Dragon: The GOG editor should not be pushing that game in particular (and it probably shouldn't even be for sale on GOG any more) since it is totally obsolete.
Not that I disagree with anything you said, but the same argument was applied to the Beamdog releases, which many people are upset about having been replaced with the "new and improved" version.

I generally hate it when "new and improved" replaces things outright, mostly because it's only "new and improved" in the eyes of a few, and it's also just a way to stop supporting/producing the old and proven.

Again, I don't disagree with what you said, other than that maybe the old version could be moved to being an extra to the new version for historical curiosity. Not that I care, really.
darktjm: Snip
There's a difference between a dev providing the version of the game that was originally promised, making the original still relatively new attempt null and void (Shadows) and taking an actual classic game and remastering in a very hamfisted way while introducing new bugs (anything Beamdog does).
Post edited March 06, 2020 by Mr.Mumbles