It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Timboli has made his point, I would like (again) to add mine.

I do not care for clients. If gog wish to go down this route and users wish to adopt, all is fine and dandy with me.

Just give those of us that do not wish to use the optional client a break.

Please look at the attached screenshot. Without the client and without third party software, count the amount of work required to download Deus_ex_mankind_divided.

Farcical.

No one can defend this ridiculous alternative to not installing Galaxy.

The gogdownloader managed it with one click. Dropped now as the move to push Galaxy continues.

It is quite within gogs rights to keep pissing me off and I am quite within my rights to continue to look at sourcing my DRM free games from someone who can be bothered with making them accessible, without fuss.
Attachments:
lazydog: No one can defend this ridiculous alternative to not installing Galaxy.
I can. I really don't mind.

I understand the frustration of people who used the downloader, or at least I try to, but please - do not presume to speak for everyone. I didn't use the downloader just as I don't use Galaxy. I'm happy to download my games without any client. Maybe it's because I'm an old fart, and I remember juggling a ton of CDs, and floppy disks before that, to install a game but I really don't see having to download 10 files as the end of the world, or even much of a hustle.
Post edited May 02, 2020 by Breja
low rated
lazydog: No one can defend this ridiculous alternative to not installing Galaxy.
Breja: I can. I really don't mind.

I understand the frustration of people who used the downloader, or at least I try to, but please - do not presume to speak for everyone. I didn't use the downloader just as I don't use Galaxy. I'm happy to download my games without any client. Maybe it's because I'm an old fart, and I remember juggling a ton of CDs, and floppy disks before that, to install a game but I really don't see having to download 10 files as the end of the world, or even much of a hustle.
More apathy from a user that apparently does not care because they use an alternative, third party I presume.

Can you please have another look at the thread title and consider if it is worth your time posting here. Thanks.

lazydog: More apathy from a user that apparently does not care because they use an alternative, third party I presume.
This is what I get for trying to be polite and understanding. No, I do not use any third party alternative. I just told you what I use. I simply download the files through the browser. Learn to read. I just don't see the issue your lazy, impatient ass has with downloading a couple of files without help.

lazydog: Can you please have another look at the thread title and consider if it is worth your time posting here. Thanks.
Yes, it is, when someone presumes to speak for the entirety of the customer base, which happens to include me. Not everyone uses some client to download games. Pretending everyone does is either stupidity or intentional lie. Either way, it does not help your case.
Post edited May 02, 2020 by Breja
lazydog: More apathy from a user that apparently does not care because they use an alternative, third party I presume.
Breja: This is what I get for trying to be polite and understanding. No, I do not use any third party alternative. I just told you what I use. I simply download the files through the browser. Learn to read. I just don't see the issue your lazy, impatient ass has with downloading a couple of files without help.

lazydog: Can you please have another look at the thread title and consider if it is worth your time posting here. Thanks.
Breja: Yes, it is, when someone presumes to speak for the entirety of the customer base, which happens to include me. Not everyone uses some client to download games. Pretending everyone does is either stupidity or intentional lie. Either way, it does not help your case.
I'm sorry, I missed the part when you said you used the browser and were happy with it.

Also, I do not claim to speak for the entire customer base. I do however wish to make my point clear to:

1. gog
2. those that see fit to defend the position because it does not affect them.
low rated
lazydog: Also, I do not claim to speak for the entire customer base.
It may not have been your intention, but that was how it came across. And I definitely do not need anyone giving GOG excuses for getting rid of browser downloads "because hey, apparently all of you guys find them unusable anyway".
Breja: It may not have been your intention, but that was how it came across. And I definitely do not need anyone giving GOG excuses for getting rid of browser downloads "because hey, apparently all of you guys find them unusable anyway".
Nobody in this thread is talking about removing browser downloads, Breja.

We are talking about the removal of the gogdownloader, that is all.
It's not the same as the GOG Downloader of course, but does the lgogdownloader somehow work on Windows too? That is what I use now, as I like to have local backups (even more so since GOG is parroting steam, so who knows what next is on the chopping block).

Feels like the people who started GOG, with the principles they had then, have been replaced since. It's an entirely different thing now. I miss the old one. You know, what the "O" stood for. Not just a brand. But a name and descriptor.
Breja: It may not have been your intention, but that was how it came across. And I definitely do not need anyone giving GOG excuses for getting rid of browser downloads "because hey, apparently all of you guys find them unusable anyway".
Well, I see you've happily stayed in the trenches. I'm going to offer you a metaphorical ladder and suggest you just let them stew in this. We can all go escape to General Melchett's office and listen to Captain Blackadder' be snide for a bit.

The "loss" of the GOG Downloader pales nothing compared to having to suffer though DeviantArt's ass backwards UI changes for years. We've been offering perfectly valid substitutes for several days now. If they won't listen then why keep hammering, you know?
hollibolli1970: I really wish you get what you want, i just wanted to point something out.
Thanks, but you missed the point I was making.

I know full well there are several differences between GOG and Steam.

I was responding to one aspect only, that some users are okay with, that is more a DRM store trait. That of not keeping local copies of games, but downloading a game on demand whenever you want to play. Which has more in common with Steam, than what the traditional GOG user is happy with. One relies on the Cloud always being available to install a game, while the other installs a game from their locally stored collection.
Post edited May 02, 2020 by Timboli
If Deus Ex 4 actually requires Galaxy to play with DLC then you guys will have a big "told ya so!" moment, but I'm 99.9% sure it's an error GOG will fix.
Breja: TL;HDWTDLTPTPITTIWTTRYP (Too Long; Had Dinner, Walked The Dog, Learned To Play The Piano In The Time It Would Take To Read Your Post).
Very funny, but you may have learnt a thing or three if you had read properly. For instance, about downloading with your browser when you are wanting to safely archive.

To make it simple for you, I'll just repeat that bit here.

Now at this point, some negative person or one who has not seen or paid attention to past posts, will likely mention that you don't need Galaxy, and can just download with your browser, as it works fine for them etc. Well, yes you can use the browser links and do that, but that alone is not good enough if you are an archiver. You need some way of knowing your files downloaded okay, before you store them away, do multiple backups etc.

Even GOG have a support question and answer, about what to do in the case of corrupted browser downloads. They suggest using Galaxy of course. So yes, corrupted browser downloads are a thing, and even more common with large downloads.

So that is why so many of us archivers, loved the GOG Downloader so much, and it had a much smaller memory usage footprint than Galaxy. In short, our best friend, and GOG have removed it.
-
It is not easy to say all that needs saying in a brief post, and you can bet that if I leave something out, then it will be that which someone will comment on.

Of course, nothing works if someone can't be bothered taking the time to read in the first place, which as you accused another person of, is just lazy. ;)
Post edited May 02, 2020 by Timboli
hollibolli1970: I really wish you get what you want, i just wanted to point something out.
Timboli: Thanks, but you missed the point I was making.

I know full well there are several differences between GOG and Steam.

I was responding to one aspect only, that some users are okay with, that is more a DRM store trait. That of not keeping local copies of games, but downloading a game on demand whenever you want to play. Which has more in common with Steam, than what the traditional GOG user is happy with. One relies on the Cloud always being available to install a game, while the other installs a game from their locally stored collection.
Jup, missed your point. Got it now. :D
low rated
amok: not at all, since gOg's mission is to make old games run on modern systems. so if there is any irony here....
You are either pretty brave or naive to claim that GOG only have one mission ... if that is what you are doing?

I would explain their mission or missions, another way.

They are providing games that in many cases are no longer available, and as an added benefit are modifying them to work on latest Windows etc.

They also state in many of the game pages that they work with various OS, including Win XP and Win 7 and Win 8, even Linux.

What they are not saying, is that they have now modified a game so that it only supports Win 10.

There would be many, who buy games at GOG, because they see it supports their OS, which could be Win 7 for instance. So that is a selling point. I also have an older Win XP PC, which I keep exclusively for gaming. So another selling point for me, is a game that also supports my old PC, that I cannot buy elsewhere other than GOG.

GOG have many missions really, the primary ones are to make money and survive, followed by DRM-Free, followed by supporting latest Windows OS, etc.

P.S. I have even seen here, games provided that don't support Win 10 ... or they are working on it.
Post edited May 03, 2020 by Timboli

I have 800+ games which I am going to have to redownload soon. Suddenly your "I don't care about having to download 10 files" mentality becomes quite ridiculous. I don't want a bloated client, I don't want to have to download individual files through my browser. I want an small very easy to use downloader to help me get what I want in the easiest one click way possible.

Consumer rights shouldn't be the only consideration, safe/quick/easy consumer buying, downloading, and file management should also be relevant.