It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

SirPrimalform: If you consider this to have made Galaxy obligatory, then by your standards the downloader was obligatory before Galaxy was around.
Still playing pretend ?

Whether an auto-sorting dowloading tool became more or less indispensible in practice, with the progressive growth of libraries and updates, is a thing. Whether there is a deliberate intent to coerce people into installing a soft designed for a plethora of other functions (monitoring, advertising, socializing, etc) is another. I want you to take my chainsaw, you don't want a chainsaw you need a keyring, too bad there aren't any keyrings anymore but there's that chainsaw that doubles as a keyring. You can turn it off in the options.

It is imposing a social network game management tracker, that is shitty practice, every each way is used to that effect (and GOG has been using every possible obnoxious ways for ages, backpedalling on a few of these because of customers irritations, and showing the general intent transparently in the process). Having it feature a handy downloader that is removed elsewhere is just one in the list of dick-ish ways. Again, like (why do I still fucking need to seek yet other analogies at this point) if facebook became the last text editor.

Yes, nowadays people absolutely revel in having everything embedded. Having their google account for email, youtube, browsing, chatting, videoconferencing, the whole suite. Having their mobile phone bloated with so welcome and so convenient social networking apps (that you're not absolutely forced to run anyway). It's the norm. I won't make you grasp the interest of keeping separate minimalist tools instead of one supermagma of imposed device collections linked to one account, with at best some on/off flips to monitor. Yeepee and all that. I just point out that GOG's support originally came from its deviation from that logic (now fully embraced by he company and its customers alike).

But yeah, who cares. Pretend to not see the difference between a download manager and an achievement/tracking/multiplayer/advertisement/integration/launcher machine if both are "obligatory" for downloads.
Telika: Still playing pretend ?
But yeah, who cares. Pretend to not see the difference between a download manager and an achievement/tracking/multiplayer/advertisement/integration/launcher machine if both are "obligatory" for downloads.
Who's pretending here? Your double standard is obvious, one is a slow and buggy piece of proprietary software that requires you to log in with your GOG account... and the other one is Galaxy.

This is of course just an exercise in following your false premise. Galaxy is only as obligatory as the dreadful downloader ever was. I jumped on GOGrepo with enthusiasm when they announced the death of the downloader (you know, 5 years ago rather than the recent announcement that they've decided to cremate the corpse).
SirPrimalform: Who's pretending here? Your double standard is obvious, one is a slow and buggy piece of proprietary software that requires you to log in with your GOG account... and the other one is Galaxy.
It baffles me as well. I think people just associate "client" with DRM so much they can't look past it, no matter what the facts are. In both cases you're using an app you login to in order to download a DRM free installer. There's really no difference. Hell you can't even download them without some kind of browser "app" and logging into the website that way either.

At the end of the day what matters is getting 100% DRM free offline installers you can back up and own forever, and GOG are one of the VERY few providing that.
SirPrimalform: Who's pretending here? Your double standard is obvious, one is a slow and buggy piece of proprietary software that requires you to log in with your GOG account... and the other one is Galaxy.
StingingVelvet: It baffles me as well. I think people just associate "client" with DRM so much they can't look past it, no matter what the facts are. In both cases you're using an app you login to in order to download a DRM free installer. There's really no difference. Hell you can't even download them without some kind of browser "app" and logging into the website that way either.

At the end of the day what matters is getting 100% DRM free offline installers you can back up and own forever, and GOG are one of the VERY few providing that.
Sigh, there is a huge difference.

Perhaps you will not be affected by this decision. Good luck to you using your preferred option.

But why oh why do you insist on arguing that its removal is such a good thing when you don't suffer the consequences of its removal?

I saw the same list of arguments from pro-steam users when one of my favourite devs went steam only some time ago. Why does it matter to you so much that a valid and very functional option has now been removed for some?
low rated
therell always be SUM peeps put out

you cant cater to everybody

this obsolete, years-unupdated app serves bare lee any

even teh wishlist is weeny compared to teh amount of users on gogie

you had a long time to get used to this or look for alternatives; they announced no support that long ago

deal with it
Fairfox: therell always be SUM peeps put out

you cant cater to everybody

this obsolete, years-unupdated app serves bare lee any

even teh wishlist is weeny compared to teh amount of users on gogie

you had a long time to get used to this or look for alternatives; they announced no support that long ago

deal with it
Whilst your grasp of the English language is shockingly inadequate, I can assure you that it will be dealt with.

I have absolutely no problems in engaging a boycott of gog if required. I have boycotted the dev I mentioned previously for over 8 years, despite the fact that they have reversed their decision and now sell games here.

Principles, Fairfox. Some people take that seriously before handing over cold, hard cash.

Edited time frame.
Post edited April 02, 2020 by lazydog
low rated
gud luck, then
id just rather they put their resources into othing thangs than proppin' up sum neglected app less than half a thousand peeps use
Post edited April 02, 2020 by Fairfox
The quick fair fox jumps over the lazy dog?
SirPrimalform: The quick fair fox jumps over the lazy dog?
A very helpful post SirPrimalform, slow clap.

I see from your earlier post that you decided to pursue what I believe to be a third party approach to the removal of the gog downloader (correct me if I am wrong). Good for you.

If I am correct in my assumption, you now believe that this is the approach that all who do not wish to use Galaxy or the browser should take, ie use a third party tool to download gog games.

Will you not consider that others may not wish to go down this path? Is it unreasonable to expect gog to provide up to date tools that allow downloads which do not require Galaxy or the browser?

Are you seriously suggesting that it is now up to the user to fathom how to download games should they not agree with the remaining options?
lazydog: Sigh, there is a huge difference.

Perhaps you will not be affected by this decision. Good luck to you using your preferred option.

But why oh why do you insist on arguing that its removal is such a good thing when you don't suffer the consequences of its removal?

I saw the same list of arguments from pro-steam users when one of my favourite devs went steam only some time ago. Why does it matter to you so much that a valid and very functional option has now been removed for some?
I use the website dude, and do not have Galaxy installed. It has nothing to do with my preferences.

It has to do with whether it's worth freaking out over or thinking it's a sign DRM is next. If your quibble is just "hey I preferred the downloader, bummer" then I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the people who have been paranoid and looking for reasons to think GOG is betraying them since this website launched. Yet here it is, still providing DRM free installers 12 years later.
lazydog: A very helpful post SirPrimalform, slow clap.
Just an observation of the coincidence between your names.

lazydog: I see from your earlier post that you decided to pursue what I believe to be a third party approach to the removal of the gog downloader (correct me if I am wrong). Good for you.

If I am correct in my assumption, you now believe that this is the approach that all who do not wish to use Galaxy or the browser should take, ie use a third party tool to download gog games.

Will you not consider that others may not wish to go down this path? Is it unreasonable to expect gog to provide up to date tools that allow downloads which do not require Galaxy or the browser?

Are you seriously suggesting that it is now up to the user to fathom how to download games should they not agree with the remaining options?
Replacing the GOG downloader with Galaxy is like-for-like in my opinion. Before Galaxy you had two official options - browser or proprietary downloader.
You now have two official options - browser or proprietary downloader (named Galaxy). You must be aware that Galaxy can download installers instead of installing the games Steam-style, right?

If you want an officially supported program, Galaxy is it. Perhaps you prefer the GOG downloader? Then feed back to them about what features Galaxy is missing compared to the downloader. Petitioning them to revive a piece of software they discontinued 5 years ago is not the way to go.
Post edited April 02, 2020 by SirPrimalform
low rated
Telika: .....
Life is full of change, and sadly most change is bad or neutral.....sometimes people need to learn to be able to adapt to that or move on if need be.
============================================

lazydog: Will you not consider that others may not wish to go down this path?
If I may answer.....it doesn't matter what he or anyone considers.

GOG has made their choice.....now people have to learn to accept it, adapt, or move on.

lazydog: Is it unreasonable to expect gog to provide up to date tools that allow downloads which do not require Galaxy or the browser?
A bit, yes.
Post edited April 02, 2020 by GameRager
high rated
It's not too late to vote:)

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/keep_the_gog_downloader_and_keep_it_up_to_date
immi101: it was announced years(!) in advance that the old download api and as a result the GOG downloader was going away at some point. You may disagree with the decision itself, but I would hardly describe it as "simply dropping".
A year long phase-out which starts with first dropping official support before eventually dropping the functionality is like the best-case scenario for cutting away old, obsolete interfaces.
rjbuffchix: Hmm, I don't recall that "GOG downloader was going away at some point" part being part of the announcement. Being unsupported is not the same as a guarantee it will go away. By your logic, the third party tools that people have made for the forums are also "guaranteed to go away" because they were never officially supported.
maybe i am misremembering, but afaik the announcement was like: "we won't update/work on it any longer and we can't guarantee that future updates to our infrastructure will impact its functionality. But we won't explicitly disable it right now".
Unless you go with the assumption that GOG's infrastructure is static and won't ever change, the only possible conclusion is that at some point GOG downloader will stop working. tbh it's a testament for how slow development moves at GOG that it took so long until we arrived at this point.

The comparison with 3rd party tools doesn't really work. Those are not supported by GOG, but they are supported by their respective authors. And as long as they commit themselves to update their tools, they can adapt to any changes that GOG implements and the tools will keep working. Once a tool author decides to walk away and nobody picks up his work, then the tool will indeed eventually suffer the same fate as the GOG downloader.

(fun fact: those 3rd party tools switched to the new api a while ago, none(that I know of) was impacted by this )

rjbuffchix: ]Can we instead use language that means something from a consumer perspective? It wasn't obsolete to the consumer who was still using it. It actually appears more people used it, or at least liked having the option to use it, than we thought...currently at 569 wishlist votes and a very good chance of getting over 600 today if the pace continues.
I think you are focusing on the wrong point with simply wishing to "keep the old downloader".
Cutting away the fat and removing the old API makes too much sense from a developers perspective. Given that GOG advertises Galaxy as a replacement, what you really want to emphasize: what features do you need from Galaxy to be usable to you. Like for example the possiblity to run it as a portable application without a invasive system-wide installation. Imho the chance that they introduce some changes to make Galaxy more suitable for your needs is higher than that they do a turnaround and keep supporting the old downloader for another 5 years.

(not to be rude, but 600 votes really aren't a lot. There are 25k votes for a Galaxy client for Linux and you know how well that works ;). And the share of Linux gamers tends to be around 1-5% )
high rated
GOG Galaxy 2.0 is very good XD
Attachments: