It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Voted!

Even if I don't use the downloader (too lazy), it was one of the main features of GOG, originally.
I think would be good business practice to keep your word.

Too easy, when old customers invest in thousands of games, start changing everything knowing that they are stuck with you nonetheless.
As long as I can still download the Setup files, I don't have a problem with the change.
Squirline: Gogmix what is that?
GOGmix, thanks to GOG, is nothing anymore but it once was. It actually was a quite useful feature MANY enjoyed and NOBODY knows why GOG disabled it without ANY replacement ... it's quite similar to this one. GOG simply showed once again that they DON'T really care despite saying this again and again.

GOGmix once was a feature in which you could access user based lists. We had GOGmixes containing lists with all games that offered Lunux versions, all games without additional localisations, all games with additional extras and many more. Those lists were created by the community and you were able to do your own list, naming it and just add the games that fit the criteria to it. Like I said they were EXTREMELY helpful for BOTH the customer AND GOG. But GOG management being like they are did not realize how such mixes could actually boost sales just like they did not realize that a sale needs to have the possibility to sort by most discounted offers (for additional sales - you get it?) and that important news should be on the top of a page and not hidden inside a normal forum post. Sometimes it is mind boggling how obviously bad their decisions are.

However, it is probably wasted time posting this since GOG also decided not to talk to us anymore - I mean real talk not PR bull nobody wants to hear anyway. The communication went to sh*t since Judas is not posting anymore (and again, nobody knows why). So Judas, if you can read this: we miss you and you made GOG a better thing than it is today. I guess that you are not allowed to talk to us anymore but you can still read this and you are the best.
Post edited March 29, 2020 by MarkoH01
low rated
Sorry for the reply....I just wanted to agree with you on something and state something related to what you said that you might be interested to know(but won't possibly like when you hear it):
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MarkoH01: However, it is probably wasted time posting this since GOG also decided not to talk to us anymore - I mean real talk not PR bull nobody wants to hear anyway. The communication went to sh*t since Judas is not posting anymore (and again, nobody knows why). So Judas, if you can read this: we miss you and you made GOG a better thing than it is today. I guess that you are not allowed to talk to us anymore but you can still read this and you are the best.
Just wanted to let you know I agree with this 100%.

(as of the now it's a decent bit more, but I had always more or less felt this way)

Why, you might ask?

Recently the covid thread went offtopic a bit(for around 2 pages or less), and someone reported it to staff. Up until then, staff had seemingly been allowing it and ALL the talk within it(they must have known about it as it has been front and center on or near page 1 for many days, and also 2 posts had been modded out prior to now)......then out of the blue a mod(Lex) came in, essentially warned us not to break rules or the thread would be locked(pr speak basically), and left.

When I replied asking if we could still talk about things as long as they are/were related to the pandemic/covid, asking if an exception could be made in this exceptional circumstance......no reply at all(even though he is online and likely watching the thread closely).

I mean I could GET giving such a reply during a normal thread during normal times, but this is a world wide problem, the thread is likely helping some get through these times a bit, and that's the best they could do? And they can't even give people a break during this and allow some exceptions?

*sigh*
Post edited March 29, 2020 by GameRager
Useless, but voted here

"keep_the_gog_downloader_and_keep_it_up_to_date"

I have been following GOG for longer that I have been registered here, out of curiosity and because I am against DRM in general. I agree with those who say that GOG is slowly but steadily going in the direction that many anti-DRM people don't like. Disappointing.
high rated
MarkoH01: GOGmix, thanks to GOG, is nothing anymore but it once was. It actually was a quite useful feature MANY enjoyed and NOBODY knows why GOG disabled it without ANY replacement ...
1. While well-stated, your account is responding to an account that has been accused of being an alt.

2. While we can only speculate, consider that some of the GOGmixes were "negative" towards publishers/developers. Besides, they were replaced, with curated collections! Can't you see why that's "better"? (and I am very disappointed at GameRager not taking this angle with you since any time I mention something good for the consumer it's always "think about the business" ;) ). Personally, I appreciated the honesty of users on GOGmixes since I think we should "name and shame" companies who insist on things like locking multiplayer behind DRM, not updating the GOG version for years while Scheme is up to date, etc.

Forum topics have continued some of the same work of GOGmixes ("Games that treat GOG customers like second class citizens") but the difference I think is in the visibility. Iirc GOGmixes used to be linked to gamepages, such that you could see right away a game was on the list of "DRM required for multiplayer" or what have you. If my recollection of that point is right, then a better alternative solution instead of getting rid of GOGmixes would be to move them somewhere less visible, sort of like the community wishlist is. After all, it is apparently "okay" for now to talk honestly about devs/pubs on the forum, just not in visible GOGmixes.

By contrast, Downloader was not visibly "harming" anyone or anything. And it was already well, well out of visibility.
Post edited March 29, 2020 by rjbuffchix
MarkoH01: GOGmix, thanks to GOG, is nothing anymore but it once was. It actually was a quite useful feature MANY enjoyed and NOBODY knows why GOG disabled it without ANY replacement ...
rjbuffchix: 1. While well-stated, your account is responding to an account that has been accused of being an alt.
Well, even if the user is an alt (and for me accusing somebody does not make it a fact right now), some might have the same question. Also, even an alt has still some original account somewhere so I don't see any reason to not reply in case I think that the question is worth getting a reply :)
high rated
Some stuff mentioned here is troubling for those of us who don't want any aspect of Galaxy being forced upon us.

516 votes now. Time wise, the voting have been increasing in frequency.

LET GOG KNOW HOW YOU FEEL BY VOTING
https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/keep_the_gog_downloader_and_keep_it_up_to_date

The update to my program is done, and I will hopefully upload to GitHub soon.

See THIS POST for the links to the first version of MY PROGRAM.

It is a stop-gap measure only, and hopefully GOG will see sense shortly, and restore the GOG Downloader.
Timboli: Some stuff mentioned here is troubling for those of us who don't want any aspect of Galaxy being forced upon us.
No need to worry - that was all a misunderstanding. It's nothing new that at the end of the installation process the "Launch Game" inside of the installer will lauch Galaxy if it is installed. Just exit installation and start the game with the regular shortcut which should lauch just the game. A few games still create a wrong launcher which is calling Galaxy no matter if it is installed or not (and therefore won't even be able to launch anything if it is not installed) but that's just a typical GOG bug that will be fixed soon (TM).
MarkoH01: No need to worry - that was all a misunderstanding. It's nothing new that at the end of the installation process the "Launch Game" inside of the installer will lauch Galaxy if it is installed. Just exit installation and start the game with the regular shortcut which should lauch just the game. A few games still create a wrong launcher which is calling Galaxy no matter if it is installed or not (and therefore won't even be able to launch anything if it is not installed) but that's just a typical GOG bug that will be fixed soon (TM).
Thanks, but I gathered that bit. What worries me more is that Galaxy seems to be built into every download, whether it uses it or not. That I am still not sure on and I could be wrong, but it seemed to be implied.
By the way, InnoExtract, which my program uses for checking the integrity of downloaded files from GOG, is not as fast as I thought it was, at least on my machine, which admittedly is under-powered compared to most PCs these days.

Here is the results for the Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition, which is one EXE and three BIN files (11.7 Gb).

2020-03-29 08:09:19 : Checking =
G:\GOG\Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition\setup_killer_is_dead_nightmare_edition_1.0_(33373).exe

2020-03-29 08:29:11 : (PASSED)
G:\GOG\Killer is Dead - Nightmare Edition\setup_killer_is_dead_nightmare_edition_1.0_(33373).exe

As you can see, it took around 20 minutes, but seemed much longer to me at the time. 20 minutes is bad enough though.

I did note that there was a lot of files inside those 3 BIN files, and it resulted in a 166 kb 'Results.txt' file.

Not all BIN files or EXEs contain so much.

But imagine much bigger files, and some I have are double or triple etc that size.

Most modern PCs will do it much faster than my slow Win 7 beast.
I game on a much faster beast, not connected to the web very often.

This is why we need the GOG Downloader back.

My program at best, is just a slow stop-gap measure, but needed right now, because file integrity for archiving is vitally important.

520 votes now.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/keep_the_gog_downloader_and_keep_it_up_to_date
Post edited March 29, 2020 by Timboli
Timboli: Thanks, but I gathered that bit. What worries me more is that Galaxy seems to be built into every download, whether it uses it or not. That I am still not sure on and I could be wrong, but it seemed to be implied.
No, it is not. It's just the launch routine in the end of the installation that is able to launch with or without Galaxy (depending on the fact if Galaxy already is installed or not) but Galaxy is not included in the normal offline installers.
MarkoH01: No, it is not. It's just the launch routine in the end of the installation that is able to launch with or without Galaxy (depending on the fact if Galaxy already is installed or not) but Galaxy is not included in the normal offline installers.
Ok, thanks.
You seem pretty clued up, so I will take your word for it. :)

542 votes now .... the number is still steadily climbing.

In some ways I am surprised. Not at the number, but over why now, and not earlier in the sale.
Maybe many just haven't gotten around to downloading their purchases until later, and so are only just now starting to discover the GOG Downloader situation. Of course, web usage due to the virus might also be impacting the when to download, plus I know from past sales, that downloading during a sale can be problematic due to server usage.
Post edited March 31, 2020 by Timboli
high rated
MY PROGRAM has now been updated to v1.1.

At best, it is just a slow stop-gap measure, but needed right now, because file integrity for archiving is vitally important.

This is why we need the GOG Downloader back.

545 votes now.
Post edited March 31, 2020 by Timboli
low rated
o hai again