It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Bookwyrm627: Let me propose a different cause: Vain's post may have been downvoted not because of any content it may/may not have contained, but rather because it was a post by Vain.
Telika: Leading to this. Which is the point.

A certain mentality is required in order to downvote per username instead of per post.
If there is a single commonality to all such downvoting, then it would be something like "I'm going to hit the minus button for (almost) every post by a particular user(s) that I see." And sometimes that mindset does seem appropriate.

Telika: That is, if 100% of muslims are homophobic. Do you believe this ? Do you personally know zero non-homophobic muslim ?
Be wary. There is an implied assumption here that every homosexual muslim thinks homosexuality is morally acceptable.
low rated
Bookwyrm627: If there is a single commonality to all such downvoting, then it would be something like "I'm going to hit the minus button for (almost) every post by a particular user(s) that I see." And sometimes that mindset does seem appropriate.
It isn't. I do ferociously hate the guts of a handful of forumgoers, which very nickname turn my stomach (because, the genie being out of the bottle, I know what's behind their masks, and I also know the very practical consequences of it on real human beings), so I have felt the childish temptation to go on a knee-jerk derep spree atfer some particularly obscene post of them. Never did (though, to be honest, I almost never derepped an individual post either), precisely because I consider such action to be technically unfair, counter-productive, and humiliatingly lame for its perpetrator itself. I feel embarrassed for those who indulge in it, whichever their side.

Bookwyrm627: Be wary. There is an implied assumption here that every homosexual muslim thinks homosexuality is morally acceptable.
Not really. I'm well aware that it sometimes isn't the case, homosexuals of all religious and secular background can be socially bullied into self-loathing, denial, and all the more violent homophobia. But the mistake would be to assume, again, a 100% proportion of either, here. It's not required. Knowing that there are muslims comfortable with (their own) homosexuality is sufficient - and it's of course the case for most muslims who do state their homosexuality. Including amongst refugees fleeing islamist theocraties (where indeed, islamophobic cultural pressure can be extremely violent).
Telika: Your point would be valid if and only if Vain's "muslims holding homophobic views" is assumed to be a pleonasm.
False, because my point was "context matters"* not "all muslims are homophobes". That‘s another discussion for another day. And one which I would rather have with someone whose idea of "informed and intellectual discourse" doesn‘t equal to coercing the other side into making broad generalisations.

*SPOILER ALERT: The other point I was trying to make - although in a more implicit, meta sort of way - was that sticking labels on people is stupid. Your knee-jerk attempt to label me a bigot kind of drives that point home, doesn't it?
low rated
Telika: Your point would be valid if and only if Vain's "muslims holding homophobic views" is assumed to be a pleonasm.
fronzelneekburm: False, because my point was "context matters"* not "all muslims are homophobes".
As I said, it is the only premise under which you can dismiss as hypocrisy Vain's answer to the article that has been thrown at him (and I just developed why this premise was false in case there was an ambiguity about that).
Post edited February 27, 2017 by Telika
low rated
fronzelneekburm: in reply to two articles which state that 100% (!) of polled British muslims hold strongly anti-gay views (and act on those convictions in rather frightening manners) is nothing but a cowardly cop-out.
I orginally wanted to reply to that post in tweet length to merely dissolve the artificial contradiction that Tyrrhia was trying to construct (i.e. that respect and even friendship could not be extended towards both the muslim as well as the LGBTQ communities at the same time). In general, this mere attempt to elicit a response – that tries to sell me a 2009 poll as "new, but not in the sense that it just came out" to begin with – is indeed something that I'd usually ignore. Tyrrhia doesn't belong to the Muslim or LGBTQ community and gives a flying shit about either. I had no obligation to respond to the derailing slippery slope shits and giggles baiting mockery that didn't even attempt to make a discernible argument.

But if that's a cop-out for you, all right, let's vet our sources here. The Johann Hari article is a clickbait piece of fake news Huffington "Why should we pay our authors" Post crap which, among other things, speaks of 30 muslims attacking a gay pub in the UK. I can find no other source that speaks of this attack. It likely never happened. It also throws made-up statistics at you, without concrete numbers or a source, like in the dark fantasy works of Thilo Sarrazin. The article has been on the author's own site as well, but has been removed in the meantime, probably because its author considered it embarrassing. It links to the 2009 guardian article but can of course not generally reinforce the credibility of the original gallup poll just by repeating it.
https://aethelreadtheunread.wordpress.com/2011/03/02/can-we-talk-about-johann-haris-shoddy-journalism-now/

The eight year old guardian article is highly interesting actually, because of the differences between countries reported. I have found another guardian article presenting slightly less shocking results from 2016. If both statistics were representative, we would have to assume that the tight-knit British muslim communities have made a significant step weeding out homophobia during the last six years and that they're on a good path. That would follow the general trend as reported by the same institute. The much better results in France or Germany of course don't mean we're done with integration. Just like with some of the Putin propaganda singers on this forum, dealing with fundamentalist Muslim homophobia will require the uncompromising and unmistakable demand that these values are to be universally accepted. But that doesn't put me in hostile opposition to either Islam or the Russian people.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/apr/11/british-muslims-strong-sense-of-belonging-poll-homosexuality-sharia-law
Post edited February 28, 2017 by Vainamoinen
Breja: I have this entirely wild idea. It's so crazy it just might work:

First, lets ask Fables to close this thread, since it has become a hopelessly derailed mess and start a new "we are under attack vol 2" thread to actually serve for it's intended purpose.

Secondly, let's all agree to what I think every decent person no matter their views and personal issues with other users can agree- that regardless of the subject matter and personal opinion calling people "subhuman trash" etc., advocating and supporting violence and insulting other users is unacceptable and we need moderation to get rid of it.

Thirdly, let everyone who does not agree with it seek greener, insult and hate friendly pastures elsewhere in wide indoors of the internet, of which this is only a tiny, private corner.

And that's it. Let's just try to have civil discussions about games and stuff like that from that point on, and see how tht goes.

Or we can keep repeating things that everyone has already said to each other on all those political subjects, keep arguing and keep all those grudges going.
Someone make a wishlist entry.

So no political discussion at all on the forums? And what about places where games and politics intersect? ''Just for games'' may be clear enough of a definition to you, but keep in mind there are people who take part in discussions you don't, and to them, that is very very vague. Ie, region locking / local censoring, is that gaming or politics? Or the diversity and feminism stuff, what is that?
Breja: I have this entirely wild idea. It's so crazy it just might work:

First, lets ask Fables to close this thread, since it has become a hopelessly derailed mess and start a new "we are under attack vol 2" thread to actually serve for it's intended purpose.

Secondly, let's all agree to what I think every decent person no matter their views and personal issues with other users can agree- that regardless of the subject matter and personal opinion calling people "subhuman trash" etc., advocating and supporting violence and insulting other users is unacceptable and we need moderation to get rid of it.

Thirdly, let everyone who does not agree with it seek greener, insult and hate friendly pastures elsewhere in wide indoors of the internet, of which this is only a tiny, private corner.

And that's it. Let's just try to have civil discussions about games and stuff like that from that point on, and see how tht goes.

Or we can keep repeating things that everyone has already said to each other on all those political subjects, keep arguing and keep all those grudges going.
Yep, attempted to try this when I first came about because I didn't have many other means, and look where it got us :) I've stopped believing that asking people to be civil will do it.
fables22: I've stopped believing that asking people to be civil will do it.
Well, remember the saying "You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word."
low rated
fables22: Yep, attempted to try this when I first came about because I didn't have many other means, and look where it got us :) I've stopped believing that asking people to be civil will do it.
Just keep moderating and everything'll sort itself out. Don't let hypocrites --

1: All fags are child rapists and should be killed.
Mods of the past: *crickets*
2: No, you should kill yourself.
Hypocrite: BOTH SIIIIIDES!!!!1
-- tell you it's futile. They want you to give up. Don't.

For the last three months, I've been modding a huge international forum, with a demo leaning South Asian / Middle Eastern. I've seen two infractions (one wish to fight another poster "like a MAN!!!1!!" to prove them wrong, one Holocaust joke), both from Europeans. Otherwise, people swear at website bugs when paid services don't properly work, not each other.
low rated
fables22: Yep, attempted to try this when I first came about because I didn't have many other means, and look where it got us :) I've stopped believing that asking people to be civil will do it.
Well, I don't want us to rely solely on that, and luckily we no longer have to. But I wasn't speaking to or about the well known and documented trolls, I was directing this at people who are having this total-derailment grudge match in here, and who are, or at least I thought so, sensible enough to maybe stop.
Apparently I was wrong. Then again maybe I should not have expected anything I say to help, seeing as most of those people probably hate my guts :P

Anyway, since you are here, how about closing this thread and starting a new one? I don't mean punishing anyone, just restoring a little order.

Shadowstalker16: So no political discussion at all on the forums?
Not if it entails insulting people, nazi manifestos and supporting violence. If, this being the Internet, that means none at all, then so be it.
Post edited February 28, 2017 by Breja
Breja: Anyway, since you are here, how about closing this thread and starting a new one? I don't mean punishing anyone, just restoring a little order.
Attachments:
lol.jpg (65 Kb)
low rated
Breja: Anyway, since you are here, how about closing this thread and starting a new one? I don't mean punishing anyone, just restoring a little order.
vsr:
Indeed, very astute. Did the fact that I'm asking the person who does give me away?
Breja: Not if it entails insulting people, nazi manifestos and supporting violence. If, this being the Internet, that means none at all, then so be it.
That doesn't seem like a politics problem as much as a people problem. Before wanting every thread with heated discussion to be closed, remember that most of the ''nazi manifestos'' were posted off topic, often in threads like the terrorism thread or threads about terrorist attacks. Closing threads and bringing the discussion to other threads doesn't seem to be a good solution, if you can't see so already.
low rated
Breja: Not if it entails insulting people, nazi manifestos and supporting violence. If, this being the Internet, that means none at all, then so be it.
Shadowstalker16: That doesn't seem like a politics problem as much as a people problem. Before wanting every thread with heated discussion to be closed, remember that most of the ''nazi manifestos'' were posted off topic, often in threads like the terrorism thread or threads about terrorist attacks. Closing threads and bringing the discussion to other threads doesn't seem to be a good solution, if you can't see so already.
None of which has anything to do with anything I said.
Shadowstalker16: That doesn't seem like a politics problem as much as a people problem. Before wanting every thread with heated discussion to be closed, remember that most of the ''nazi manifestos'' were posted off topic, often in threads like the terrorism thread or threads about terrorist attacks. Closing threads and bringing the discussion to other threads doesn't seem to be a good solution, if you can't see so already.
Breja: None of which has anything to do with anything I said.
You said that politics shouldn't be allowed if it leads to all the bad stuff. I said that the bad stuff comes up in random, non political threads, much like it did in this one and that hence, politics discussion might not be the problem as much as people posting anything anywhere. I then said that people will be encouraged to do that if more threads are closed.

Still nothing?