It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

skeletonbow: <snip!>
I thought you might like this :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy1sGgNAHxg
Post edited February 09, 2016 by shane-o
shane-o: I thought you might like this :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy1sGgNAHxg
Thanks, interesting balanced video.
timppu: Then there's this:

http://www.pecaa.com/high-energy-visible-light-potential-ocular-damage/
https://www.macular.org/ultra-violet-and-blue-light

So I am unsure if keeping a LED display very close to your eyes for prolonged times is necessarily such a great idea, at least without proper filters. Yeah you can call that bullshit if you want, it is your eyes after all. :)
This exactly, I don't know why this not mentioned more often when it comes to VR. Over here, you have nearly a new TV show on the "danger" of led lightning nearly every two months, be it a medical show, or a customer show, etc.... It seems to be a general consensus that led lightning is bad four your eyes in the long term (I have even heard several ophthalmologist calling it the next big health scandal like asbestos was in its time), the only thing on which scientists seems to still disagree on is what "level" of exposure is required for definitive damages to your eyes (given that the macullar damages on humans usually only appears years down the road its harder to measure them).

While computer / phones screen are usually considered less potentially harmful because they are usually less powerful and far away from your eyes, what will happen if you start putting those screen mere centimeters from your eyes, for prolonged amount of time, and in a "closed" environment where you cannot look away from the screen.
Gersen: This exactly, I don't know why this not mentioned more often when it comes to VR.
Many people believe (or hope) it to be bullshit, that's probably why. I'm on the fence, seeing it as a potential risk and wanting more information about it. I haven't bought any "filtering glasses" for myself yet though, so far I've just chosen to crank down the brightness of my LED displays somewhat, at least those which are pretty close to me, like this laptop screen.

Then again, if this was a real problem, I guess they could add filters on those LED (VR) displays, and/or fine-tune the color output. The only problem is that it changes the colors somewhat, e.g. white gets a pink hue I think.
Post edited February 09, 2016 by timppu
Gersen: This exactly, I don't know why this not mentioned more often when it comes to VR. Over here, you have nearly a new TV show on the "danger" of led lightning nearly every two months, be it a medical show, or a customer show, etc.... It seems to be a general consensus that led lightning is bad four your eyes in the long term (I have even heard several ophthalmologist calling it the next big health scandal like asbestos was in its time), the only thing on which scientists seems to still disagree on is what "level" of exposure is required for definitive damages to your eyes (given that the macullar damages on humans usually only appears years down the road its harder to measure them).

While computer / phones screen are usually considered less potentially harmful because they are usually less powerful and far away from your eyes, what will happen if you start putting those screen mere centimeters from your eyes, for prolonged amount of time, and in a "closed" environment where you cannot look away from the screen.
Nobody should really worry about it, because the next generation of technology that will replace VR in 15-30 years probably is direct stimulation of the optic nerve from an external device. This will allow people to experience VR directly inside their head, even if they're blind. They can mount a camera on their forehead and it will transmit images directly into their brain. Some people will have the surgery to remove their eyes and have stereo cameras implanted. :)
Any new predictions for VR gaming in 2022? Metaverses and affordable headsets (even standalone ones) clearly are the way to go as of now. VR Media is closer to us. VR mods, content creation, 360 / 180 3D VR cameras, work from home…

Wanna read yours after this intended 5 years bump I planned for this existing topic (so that everything could evolve enough to discuss it once again). It’ll be quite interesting reading returning posters and new ones as well.

REDVWIN
Post edited February 17, 2022 by REDVWIN
REDVWIN: REDVWIN
Hey, REDVWIN. Thanks for performing unspeakable acts of necromancy upon this thread, some 4 years after a reasonable forum keeper would have archive locked it. Your prediction is precious and ignoble.

Metaverse is just a worse VRchat but for corporate bozos. VR is no closer to even approaching a whole percentile of Steam's total userbase, and as ZP said of the platform before; there's two major roadblocks that prevent it from ever becoming mainstream:
1) It's literally antisocial. So it's untenable for parties, social gatherings, and having friends over.
2) There's no clever way to alt-tab out/into things in VR, so you can't exactly be clever and juggle solitaire and a solitary database management program.
I'll add 3:
3) It literally leaves you vulnerable; with no quick way to leave in a hurry. If a burglar decides to take anything that isn't nailed down/on fire while you're banging Waifu Chan, I'd like to see that explained to the coroner. (This applies double to places that feature regular safety drills.)
Post edited February 18, 2022 by Darvond
REDVWIN: REDVWIN
Hi REDVWIN, thanks for the necro! I had all but forgot about this thread. Turns out you were spot on with you prediction of cheap consoles being the driving force.

Still, back then, nobody predicted that Oculus would end up dropping the PC platform and aim for an android based console. I mean, when I bought my CV1, I thought the worst would be some annoying social features which I could opt-out off.

Back in 2016, I said.
Some Gamers are directly hostile toward VR-gaming, and argues that off-VR is the only way to play.
Turns out that the grand flame war wasn't between flatscreen and VR users, but rather between PCVR users dissatisfied with Oculus abandonment of the PC platform, and PCVR users who are happy about it for whatever reason. Oh, and then there were some cold air between 40+ PCVR gamers and kids on Quest being loud in multiplayer games.

I didn't predict VR workout would be a success, or the sub https://www.reddit.com/r/VRtoER/

Hardware-wise, I don't feel that VR has evolved all that much. If anything, the Quest is pretty much a downgrade. On the other hand, it has really come a long way when it came to software. I remember back when every cheap VR tech demo got a positive review because newbies were amazed seeing something in VR, and the rest of us were thankful for any new release. Today, we have VR experiences that are actually great, some of it things which simply couldn't work on a monitor. AYAHUASCA, BEAT SABER, BLASTON, ELEVEN TABLE TENNIS, GLADIOS, IN DEATH, X-FITNESS

Darvond: 1) It's literally antisocial. So it's untenable for parties, social gatherings, and having friends over.
I don't know about that bit. There's plenty of online multiplayer VR games, BLASTON beeing my favorite, and also local multiplayer games like KEEP TALKING AND NOBODY EXPLODES.

I don't think there's anything stopping VR from becoming mainstream, other than lack of exposure. As much as I hate Quest, it's still one heck of a buy, if you set it up to work as PC HMD.

But I'm unsure what the future has in store. The quest has meant some growth, but some VR titles has been downgrated to fit on the Quest, and I fear that the medium may turn out more shallow with freemium pay-to-win Roblox clones. The Quest already has forced Facebook login, and they have pretty much said they may be put ads in too.

The positive side of the Quest is that it may force the developers to no longer rely on killer graphic, and instead use raw design to raise immersion.

I have a pretty solid backlog of VR games, enough for several lifetimes, but I still hope the medium will evolve. I was so full of hope back in 2016, because there were finally some part of contemporary society which I didn't actively hated. And now I'm kinda turning into that grumpy old man again, whining about how today, VR isn't what it was back in the days, when I wasn't young either. But one thing I learned with this thread, is that I'm quite hopeless at predicting stuff, so I'm geniouly curious what the future holds.