It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

It’s happening – free Update 2.0 for Cyberpunk 2077 is now available for download!

With Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty release right behind the corner, it’s best to get ready and prepare your game – updating it to the newest and hottest version, 2.0! The update brings an overhaul to a number of gameplay mechanics and core game features (such as the police system and Perk trees) along with various fixes and improvements. These changes apply to the base game and are available to all players, free of charge. In order to ensure your installation runs smoothly, please refer to THIS ARTICLE.

Once updated, you can continue playing on existing saves, but in order to have the best experience of the changes that were made, it is recommended to start a new playthrough. Because changes to crucial game systems are extensive, you should also uninstall pre-2.0 mods until the modding community has a chance to update them, and please note that the change in PC system requirements announced in June comes into effect with this update; to check more details regarding new system requirements, read THIS ARTICLE.

Now, get ready for new police systems, vehicle combat of all sorts, combat AI enhancements, new netrunning abilities, completely redesigned perks and skills… And even more! You can find all information about the update HERE.

While updating though, and to soothe the wait for the upcoming expansion, we prepared something very special for you. We’ve had a chance to speak with Miles Tost, Level Design Acting Lead of Cyberpunk 2077 and Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty. It’s been a real pleasure to be able to ask him a few lingering questions about the soon-to-come titles – so let’s see what he has to say.

Let’s start from the mere beginning: concepts. How did you approach conceptualization of Cyberpunk 2077: Phantom Liberty?

Miles Tost, Level Design Acting Lead: As a level designer I will mostly focus on my area of expertise for this. A lot of the stuff we’ve done for Phantom Liberty is based off of what we learned from the base game. Cracking the challenge of creating sandbox environments while staying committed to a cinematic narrative in Cyberpunk 2077 was tough and it was clear that we still had room to improve.

We did a ton of internal research and development within the Level Design team to understand where we were at and where we should go next. Some of the things we decided to focus on were traversal in the open world and the impact of our non-linearity in the individual levels as well as the overall quality of our designs in terms of how players are guided through a level.

Thanks to us changing the way we created our content, individual teams were also able to come up with much more bespoke set pieces which is reflected in the fact that each main mission takes you through a set of completely different and amazing areas and levels. It’s quite the ride and I hope players will enjoy it!

Creating concepts, and not only, how do you balance technical constraints with creative freedom during the level design process?

MT: One of the tougher, but necessary decisions we had to make was to fully move on to developing for current-gen platforms. This certainly helped us gain more freedom in the way we created our content. We’re able to use more enemies with more complex behavior at the same time, and we’re able to create more complex and detailed levels and encounters.

Outside of that, as level designers we’re luckily not too restricted by our technical constraints; the heavy lifting of that is done by our amazing artists and coders.

As mentioned before, I think the creative freedom we had was most improved by the change in our methodologies following Cyberpunk 2077’s launch and the fact that Phantom Liberty is an expansion. Expansions to us are quite fun to work on since you know your tools, you know your limits, the IP, what players want, what works, what doesn’t, and how to make it. This leaves us with more time to focus on creation and iteration as opposed to the process of eliminating the unknowns.

Game development can be unpredictable. How do you handle unexpected design challenges or changes in direction during a project?

MT: The way we work has us go through regular reviews of our content both on a smaller team as well as a project team scale. With Phantom Liberty we’ve never done as many internal studio-wide playtest sessions and focus tests before. We really wanted to make sure that what we deliver is not only fun to our players, but is also something we’re all incredibly proud of. Of course, as with any project, we were faced with some smaller and some major changes to our content — all of which came as a result of the feedback from these playtests. This way, we were able to spot necessary corrections relatively early on and react to them quickly. From there on, it was always about finding the best compromises between the project needs and vision, as well as the needs and vision of each team and discipline.

And of course, a question we had to ask: what can we expect from the expansion, level design-wise, and what was the most challenging part of it?

MT: We’ve really upped our game when it comes to the complexity and polish of our levels. I’d say it’s well worth investing multiple playthroughs through our expansion to fully grasp this.

In the base game, we sometimes struggled with making paths truly feel like they are your own; this time I think we did much better with that.

In addition, moving and parkouring through Dogtown is a much more smooth and fun experience if you have the proper build as the district has been built with this in mind more than the rest of the city.

Is there anything in particular that you’re excited for the fans to see?

MT: It’s been hard to contain my excitement in the last few months knowing what we were cooking up. Phantom Liberty is something we’re proud of and Update 2.0 is just such a good package that I can’t wait for people to get their hands on it and see for themselves.

The team truly went all out and we tried to deliver on pretty much every big and small want that our community threw at us. To be able to do that just feels so good.

We’ve been hard at work for some time now, and though it’s been quite intense, it’s also rewarding to see the sentiment towards our game shift. Personally, there are a few levels I am particularly keen on watching people play on Twitch, but I won’t spoil the fun. :)

And finally, something we bet a lot of people would like to know: what advice would you give to aspiring level designers?

MT: Make levels! Accessing the tools and knowledge to create them has never been easier. Don’t be afraid to reach out to developers on social media and ask them for advice. I don’t know a single dev who’s not glad to help out — hey, we all started somewhere. Yes, it can be a bit overwhelming and not all resources that are available are good, but we can help you sort through that, focus on what you need, and set you on the path. You’ll have to walk it though. Just talking and thinking about making levels won’t get you anywhere. Make them, test them, make them again. You’ll improve, I promise!

We’d like to thank Miles for taking the time to answer our questions – and we hope you enjoyed them as much as we did!

Now, it’s time to update your game and prepare for the expansion. See you all in Night City!
Looking forward to diving back into it! The skill overhaul is what I'm really excited about and want to experiment with a build that I've never quite got there on the original release. Not overly keen on police and driving changes as I never meaningfully engaged with those syetems anyway. Good on them for ironing out somd of the chief complaints though.

Last I played was nearly two years ago now. Oh man does the time fly. I was able to fully beat the game within the first few months of its release and then I've played it somewhat sporadically afterward. This is going to bring me back.
Jalister: There are some titles I want from ZoomPlatform, but from what I've seen, they never have sales.
tfishell: Yes, those are very rare. If you can afford to, I'd suggest being willing to occasionally buy an game from them at full price (often $6-10), but I understand if that's not an option.
I can, I just prefer to buy old games for a better price. Especially when the game is going to be far down on the backlog list. Currently two on my wishlist are $20. I think I'm waiting to see which happens first, the game goes on sale at Zoom, or the game is released on GOG.

Right now Baldur's Gate 3 has my attention, then Tears of the Kingdom, then Phantom Liberty.
Xeshra: Loot-scaling is actually a fun gameplay-element. I just worry if it could make the game "to hard to enjoy", but usually the difficulty can be adjusted, unless you have some "souls-like" game without any intention for making it "doable" for a average or below average gamer.
idbeholdME: Souls games are actually pretty bad examples of difficult games. They mostly have static difficulty and you can just grind stats for however long you like. So you can quite easily outscale the enemies, eventually one-shotting everything and getting tickled by all attacks. If you are struggling in a souls game, just farm more levels. The difficulty curve is fully under your control and how much you want to push harder content compared to your level. Doesn't get much simpler than that.

Games that always scale everything to your level can very easily lead to level ups feeling insignificant, or even detrimental, if you are unlucky with gear for example. When that one legendary weapon you got 5 levels earlier is now basically useless because the enemies outscaled it.
If levels are involved, I certainly prefer to be able to outlevel enemies, autoleveling has always bugged me.
Loot scaling is not level scaling: However, the point is to link the loot to the enemy level and if you got a higher level you will get enemies with better loot, as they will have higher level too. Usually, you may have weaker enemies if you can outlevel them, yes, but at some point you will become way to strong and you can not even use the bad loot anymore... not much joy at this point.

Anyway, i will not get the new expansion because i am now fed up with the continuous abuse of the "fear of missing out"-exclusives and as long as gamers are supporting this method it will spread in the gaming industry like a incurable sickness.

I will get it at a discount at some point, this will be a lesson from me...
I dont care how much of content they are gonna cut out in order to punish me... i am fed up with this sort of increasingly customer-hostile-mentality, especially from CDPR.

Besides, this Vigilante-Car is a piece of loveless stuff.. it got the charm from a modern SUV car, which is close to none, with the only difference that it comes from another age and apparently it was stolen from some demolition derby...

In my mind, from a artistic point of view... it is more ugly than a sick cockroach, which is actually hard enough making them sick. Although, the first beginner car is pretty lovely... and it does not even try to suit the elitists out there.

While I have the new items added to the base game for owning The Witcher 3, I am not getting The Witcher 3 nor the Gwent items for Phantom Liberty. A quick search on the steam forum looks like I'm not the only one too.

Ah yeah, the ugly car is not the only item that can get lost in the space of "exclusive rewards".

Timed limited Iconic guns. One tied to paying $10 on twitch subs to get and the other tied to the $15 prime gaming subscription. The prime gaming one isn't even on the site so you can't get it anyways. A costume where 3 of the 4 pieces are from twitch rewards, all a week apart. The last piece comes from like only 20 channels for twitch rewards.

From 25/09/2023, 1p.m. CEST to 21/10/2023, 11:59 p.m. CEST, you can also show your support for eligible Twitch partners and affiliates playing Cyberpunk 2077 by gifting their channel 2 Twitch subscriptions of any tier. Doing so will earn you the Yasha sniper rifle as a reward.

https:/.../www.cyberpunk.net/en/twitch-drops
Post edited September 26, 2023 by Xeshra
JClosed: Umm... People have asked for improved stuff in the game, and now getting it. All that extra stuff has to come from somewhere. You cannot create it out of thin air.

For example - People where mad that those police cops spawned nearby, so they now let them spawn "from a distance and out of sight". That mean now the program has to track them from a longer distance, and that increases CPU load obviously. And that's only one example.
You see, when Ghost Recon Breakpoint was released it was a mess. Cyberpunk at release level of mess. And then devs have reworked whole game, added new features. Hey, Ubisoft even added THREE AI teammates which also had to be computed with CPU. Constantly because they was always near the player. But I don't remember system requirements increase for Breakpoint despite all additions including AI teammates.

JClosed: All those things, small and big, add up fast. As a result the program/game asks for more resources (CPU and GPU wise). So yes, the new version will increase the demand and so the minimum system requirements. As said - You cannot create new stuff out of thin air. There is no diabolical sinister plot behind it.
This is why along with adding new features, game should get optimization improvements. Sometimes, game gets a whole overhaul like it happened with CoD MW2019 in, if I remember correctly, patch 2.19. But system requirements wasn't increased.

Also, you really do not get it? It is quite dangerous precedent that system requirements are increased. Basically, developer says - we do not want to spend money on optimization of the game you have paid for. So it is now your problems - spend more of your money on upgrade or you wont get fixes in new patch. I really can't believe people do not see problem in this situation...

P.S. My system fits requirements to run patch 2.0 so it is not a problem for me, but seriously - where is an optimization? It looks like devs just put mods in the game and did not care how they will work together.

P.P.S. Remember, all microtransactions stuff we all hate started from one small horse armor DLC... It all starts from one small thing...
Post edited September 26, 2023 by Andrey82
I think a few years down the line few people will remember the minimum system requirements and every fan will instead appreciate the effort spent making the game better.

When there's a path that offers short term benefits for people trying to run the game today on a turd, and another path that offers benefits for practically speaking every player (if not today, then in a few years), I know which path I would vote for if I was a fan of the game.

If anything, the 2000s when the industry started to transition from PC first to console first and consequently made games worse in order to cope with the consoles' limited specs was a low point in the industry. Why should I now care so much about low end PCs?

Plus, it's easy to scream "optimize" but doing that can be really friggin hard and time consuming (and prone to introducing regressions or being incompatible with new features), and there's only so much you can do before hitting fundamental limits.

Andrey82: So it is now your problems - spend more of your money on upgrade or you wont get fixes in new patch. I really can't believe people do not see problem in this situation...
Shameful as it is, all games get abandoned at some point. Usually sooner rather than later.

Consider Cyberpunk 2077 abandoned, as far as previous gen consoles and low spec PCs are concerned. They got more than two years of patches and support, which I think is much better than the average. I don't think there's any reason why gamers should be entitled to all future patches on all past systems?

So let me offer an alternative point of view: where most other developers would call the game Done and move on, CDPR has opted to provide further improvements on platforms that are capable of running them, thereby extending the life of the game for current and future systems. Isn't that a positive thing? They could've just abandoned the game for all platforms after a year or two of patches, but instead they keep going.
Post edited September 26, 2023 by clarry
BigBadBorg: You do know that version 1.63 is and will be still available? So stay on that version if you can't handle the system settings, the game runs fine on my 10 year old PC on the old version.

So nobody is "forcing" you to update your hardware.
MarkoH01: I was not aware about this. In that case you are correct and nobody is "forcing" me. So far I had the impression that this was a usual update and therefore the "original" version would not be available anymore.
alfoulkes: You do realize they have been struggling the last three years? Just look at the number of comments in the comment sections. I'm sure they are doing their best and things will get better but until then, give them a brake.
MarkoH01: I am also aware that we talked and tried to help them for years and that they just don't listen (even though they have that abandoned "we are listening to your feedback" thread) and continue to make wrong decisions and they are also still are setting wrong priorities. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see GOG come out of this "struggle" and be as successful as possible but they behave like a little child that just won't listen to reason and continues to make the same mistakes ... afterwards sitting on the floor crying.
I have to apologize, at least in parts.

If you use Gog Galaxy you can go back to older versions. But at the moment you can't download an older offline installer, only a handful of updates that do nothing if you don't have one of the offline installers of the full game that these patches work with.

I've written to their support, but haven't heard from them yet. I hope they fix that soon, people who want to play the older version should not be forced to use Galaxy, it should be optional.
clarry: I don't think there's any reason why gamers should be entitled to all future patches on all past systems?
On the other hand, why should customers be forced to upgrade their old systems just to be able to replay a game they bought here long before the latest update made it require a more modern OS?

At least with multiplayer support the developers can claim that some newer library version that is incompatible with an older OS will make online multiplayer connections more secure, but with single player games they don't have that excuse and therefore they should either stop adding new stuff once they can no longer maintain compatibility or at least make sure that the last compatible version is kept available as an unsupported extra for every GOG customer who bought that game here.

Just imagine how much nicer it would be if one could just run a download script once or twice per year and still be guaranteed to receive all the relevant versions for each game, although those who really want to be able to use any mods they want, might still need to leave a download script running 24/7 to ensure that they don't miss any in-between installer versions that didn't turn out to be the last ones to work with this or that older OS, but happen to be needed for the last release of this or that mod.
GOG.com: It’s happening – free Update 2.0 for Cyberpunk 2077 is now available for download!
Waited forever for this with extreme anticipation, and been playing it since it came out, and now Phantom Liberty as well. I gotta say it has impressed me way way beyond my expectations. I've loved the game since it originally came out, but I had some bones to pick with it also such as how terrible NCPD was and pedestrians and vehicles on the road to name a few things, however virtually everything in the game that was gutted, replaced or upgraded has been a major win in my eyes (minus some bugs that will no doubt get fixed in upcoming patches).

What further blows my mind is that various parts of the game have various noticeable visual upgrades, and I saw an improvement in performance without changing anything. Game runs faster now and I was also able to switch FSR from Balanced to Quality mode and STILL end up with a higher frame rate even with all of the game's new features and enhancements. I have to say the team did a great job optimizing the new version of the game to run better than ever.

I also tested it out on my aging Intel 7700HQ laptop with NVIDIA 1050 mobile graphics and saw about a 5% performance improvement on that surprisingly as well. **mind blown**

I only wish my Radeon HD7850 2GB had not died earlier this year, and I could test the game on that also, as that's what I first started playing the game with. LOL

I'm at level 46, streetcred 50 right now on a fresh playthrough, have all Tier 5 or higher cyberware and weapons with all slots filled, have not yet unlocked Phantom Liberty or ventured into Dogtown as I've been biding my time, but will be doing that very soon too. So far, game is friggen amazing. Prior to 2.0 I gave 1.63 an 80% rating believing the game had potential to hit 85% with the 2.0 patch. After playing the 2.0 patch I now rate the game 90% with the potential to hit 95% depending on how the rest of my playthrough goes. :)

So freakin stoked!