It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I put Ubuntu on an old 2009 Macbook to try to remember how to use Linux. After a while I decided to try running some Soldak games on it.

I first tried Din's Curse. It gave an error message about not detecting sound, so I made a post on the Steam forums asking the developer how to fix it:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/217290/discussions/0/141136086924519043/

They told me to install Open AL. That didn't work so they said to disable the sound in the cfg file so the game could still run, which worked, just didn't have sound.

Then I tried Drox Operatives. That game said it couldn't find an Open AL library even though I had just installed it for Din's Curse. Lots more Googling lead me to find that Drox was looking for the 32 bit Open AL libraries. After finding how to install those both games fully worked.

I also found that Ubuntu is trying to make it so you don't have to mess with installing 32 bit libraries on 64 but Ubuntu by automatically downloading them when you install a program with a deb package.

Does this mean GOG's shell script installers don't do this because they aren't using a deb package? Or is there a problem specifically with Soldak's shell script installers maybe?

I've also installed FTL and Masters of Orion 2 and they ran without issue.

Basically I'm just trying to find suggestions on the cause of the issue.
fulano5321: I put Ubuntu on an old 2009 Macbook to try to remember how to use Linux. After a while I decided to try running some Soldak games on it.

I first tried Din's Curse. It gave an error message about not detecting sound, so I made a post on the Steam forums asking the developer how to fix it:

They told me to install Open AL. That didn't work so they said to disable the sound in the cfg file so the game could still run, which worked, just didn't have sound.

Then I tried Drox Operatives. That game said it couldn't find an Open AL library even though I had just installed it for Din's Curse. Lots more Googling lead me to find that Drox was looking for the 32 bit Open AL libraries. After finding how to install those both games fully worked.

I also found that Ubuntu is trying to make it so you don't have to mess with installing 32 bit libraries on 64 but Ubuntu by automatically downloading them when you install a program with a deb package.

Does this mean GOG's shell script installers don't do this because they aren't using a deb package? Or is there a problem specifically with Soldak's shell script installers maybe?

Hello fulano5321,

The information about the library requirement is put on the store product page:

Requires the following packages to be installed: libopenal1:i386 and dependencies
This game comes with a 32-bit binary only.

GOG.com installers by design do not meddle with your system configuration. You are not supposed to run them from root account. Because Ubuntu by default does not run 32 bit software on 64 bit systems, one of our guidelines for Linux titles sold on our service is that they should be 64 bit and shipping all the needed dependencies along with the game - for example, like FTL does. It is up for game developer to take care of that.

Unfortunately, sometimes it's just not possible for a game developer to produce a 64 bit binary (e.g. due to legacy codebase or engine limitations). In such cases, a user has to install 32 bit dependencies on their own. We inform about every such occurrence on game product pages.

I hope it explained the issue for you!
Post edited January 22, 2018 by linuxvangog
fulano5321: I put Ubuntu on an old 2009 Macbook to try to remember how to use Linux. After a while I decided to try running some Soldak games on it.

linuxvangog: Hello fulano5321,

The information about the library requirement is put on the store product page:

Requires the following packages to be installed: libopenal1:i386 and dependencies
This game comes with a 32-bit binary only.

GOG.com installers by design do not meddle with your system configuration. You are not supposed to run them from root account. Because Ubuntu by default does not run 32 bit software on 64 bit systems, one of our guidelines for Linux titles sold on our service is that they should be 64 bit and shipping all the needed dependencies along with the game - for example, like FTL does. It is up for game developer to take care of that.

Unfortunately, sometimes it's just not possible for a game developer to produce a 64 bit binary (e.g. due to legacy codebase or engine limitations). In such cases, a user has to install 32 bit dependencies on their own. We inform about every such occurrence on game product pages.

I hope it explained the issue for you!
Holy Bananas!
Thanks for the great explanation!
@OP:

You'd probably be better off with Linux Mint as a distro, it's great for Linux newcomers and I find it far better than Ubuntu. Whenever I tried Ubuntu I always found the out of the box software to be rather lacking, on the other hand Mint gave me everything that I expected and more.

I understand this may seem like a blanket solution and it requires a format, but you'd probably feel a lot at ease and comfortable.

You might want to install Synaptic (also available for Ubuntu) for installing packages, no fiddling with command lines or fluffy interfaces, just select the packages you need and hit apply, I call it the "Barbaric but works method" :D
Post edited January 23, 2018 by Ganni1987
Ganni1987: @OP:

You'd probably be better off with Linux Mint as a distro, it's great for Linux newcomers and I find it far better than Ubuntu. Whenever I tried Ubuntu I always found the out of the box software to be rather lacking, on the other hand Mint gave me everything that I expected and more.

I understand this may seem like a blanket solution and it requires a format, but you'd probably feel a lot at ease and comfortable.

You might want to install Synaptic (also available for Ubuntu) for installing packages, no fiddling with command lines or fluffy interfaces, just select the packages you need and hit apply, I call it the "Barbaric but works method" :D
Thanks for the tips!

There are several things wrong with Ubuntu on this computer and I'm sure I caused half of them. So I figure by the time I've fully broken it, I can give Mint a try. :) I have heard a lot of people recommend it.