It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Guess what, it's Throwback Thursday and today we're diving into the beginnings of a legendary saga that is still alive and well to this day. It's also one of the games that recently received exclusive free goodies, including renders and screenshots, thanks to the The Video Game History Foundation, and none other than the fabled Tomb Raider series!

Released between 1996 and 1998, to critical acclaim, the original Tomb Raider trilogy introduced the world to one of its most famous protagonists. Lara Croft, the fearless archaeologist-adventurer, invited millions of gamers to follow her on her adventures, mixing platforms, puzzle, and shooting with dedicated mechanics for each, through an array of diverse locations, from Peru to Tibet, to solve mythical intrigues. Is there really more to say about one of the most successful series of all time? Well, find out at least why our very own Tania has such fond memories of the games!

Recommended by Tania, Sales Team:

[i]My journey with Lara started for the first time at my friend’s house, during summer vacation. I remember she had Tomb Raider III, and it was pretty amazing, as well as quite emotional for a kid.
After coming back I was nagging my parents to get a Tomb Raider game too, as I had my first very own computer back then. They managed to find Tomb Raider II at the (in)famous 10th-Anniversary Stadium in Warsaw and I had a blast playing it too, although it always pained me when I had to fight the doggos in the game, poor souls!
wolfsite: Is it okay to take this as a hint that more Tomb Raider Games are coming?

-Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light
-Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris
-Rise of the Tomb Raider
-Shadow of the Tomb Raider

just being hopeful.
Crosmando: None of the Nu-Lara games are worth playing anyway.
I don't care about playing them either, but they are "AAA" titles and apparently not awful / have some decent wishlist vote numbers, so having them here would be nice imo.
Post edited February 20, 2022 by tfishell
Crosmando: None of the Nu-Lara games are worth playing anyway.
A large number of us of course, would like to check that out for ourselves.

And if reviews for all manner of games are anything to go by, liking a game or not can be very subjective, and often depends on where you are coming from.
argamasa: Each Christmas was almost a tradition, play one Lara Croft´s game with cousins and brothers, never finished none of them although played A LOT of hours, but played from first until Last Revelation, mostly originals on PC and PS. The best for me was 2 and 4. I still keep these two games and the Unfinished Business of the first game on big box. It was amazing all the movements you can do with Lara, and with the two guns killing animals in danger of extinction ;)
In my case, @argamasa. For Christmas the videogame I enjoy with my wife is Donkey Kong Country 3 for the SNES. I know it's a bit cliché, but it's the best one for the time. And the second game in the series that I really like after Diddy's Kong Quest. And I love this boss. As for your collection, keep it safe. Nowadays it is a rarity to see the old cardboard boxes.

Now regarding the TR1. Someone said that some people got discouraged before they got to the T-Rex. I don't get it, that area is very entertaining and has a moderate dose of enemies to defeat. What is true is that unlike the rest TR1 is the best in terms of exploration. You really feel like an explorer.
Post edited February 22, 2022 by UCrest
UCrest: [...] What is true is that unlike the rest TR1 is the best in terms of exploration. You really feel like an explorer.
So, by "unlike the rest" do you mean "the rest of the original trilogy" or the rest of the Core Design Tomb Raider games or the rest of the series as a whole?
- if we're sticking to the original trilogy: your point is debatable - Tomb Raider 3 is objectively more advanced in terms of exploration due to having some non-linear levels which can be huge. Tomb Raider 2 has levels which beat the best from the original Tomb Raider. But as others have pointed out in the past, the fact is you're not constantly exploring tombs in the sequels. Sometimes it's an urban environment - or you are on an offshore rig, in a desert or in a high tech facility. Basically, I feel like what you might be getting at is the feeling of isolation - that feeling is arguably felt the most in Tomb Raider. It's partially due to initial technical limitations - the first game has no neutral creatures anywhere (not even fish), no allies, no vehicles - and of course, it is set entirely underground.
- if we're considering all of the Core Design Tomb Raider games: Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation is definitely the best for exploration, sometimes using a system of interlinked levels whereby some areas need to be revisited to progress further into the game. The whole Alexandria chapter is the peak of this with one hub linking together many different levels/maps.
- I cannot speak for the games that came later as I haven't played them.