It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

phaolo: There should exist a WinBox for games.
Passing to Linux would be 80% easier.

I'm not sure if Wine and PoL are enough..
Wine basically *is* a "WinBox", but Windows is far more complex than DOS and Wine's developers have to implement its functionality and exact behavior without much documentation (or any documentation, in a lot of cases), so it's a far more difficult task.

The compatibility that has been achieved so far is very impressive when you consider that Wine's developers are mostly hobbyists working in their spare time (with only a handful of full-time developers, e.g. CodeWeavers)...
adamhm: The compatibility that has been achieved so far is very impressive when you consider that Wine's developers are mostly hobbyists working in their spare time (with only a handful of full-time developers, e.g. CodeWeavers)...
It's surely incredible, but.. I wish it were perfect like DosBox.
The incompatibility list is still quite big and it always takes many years for these projects to evolve.

(btw, they should really put the game\progr main status directly in the first results)
Post edited September 12, 2015 by phaolo
Ixamyakxim: This sounds like you have pointers for me. I DON'T know if I have an Optimus card (it's a GTX 460 - the first card I bought when I "got back into" PC gaming and I've been so proud of my choice since - this lil' bugger still plays everything I've thrown at it just as I'd like! I want to upgrade, but don't have the heart to retire my "little engine that could" LOL). If it helps I THINK it's the "second generation" or V2 460.
Yup, it supports Optimus, which is Nvidia's technology for on-the-fly switching between discrete and integrated graphics, the idea being that more powerful GPU is used only when really needed as in graphics-intensive games. While it is supported and works like that in Windows, Nvidia still hasn't caught up with its Linux drivers, so we have to change between its and Intel GPU manually. Fortunately, latest Mint version makes that job easier than ever with little applet in the systray. To see how it looks like in KDE edition, scroll the following article to the title "Better support for UEFI, NVIDIA and Optimus cards".

Ixamyakxim: I might try rebooting shortly and seeing if I the integrated chip is disabled in BIOS then firing up Linux - I'd laugh my ass off if this is the simple solution to the problem but please feel free to give advice just in case my fix doesn't work.
Of course, everything said before presumes you have integrated GPU enabled :)
adamhm: What version of Wine were you trying?
Sorry I can't remember that.
adamhm: That's fine as long as you're not worried about the spyware/security/privacy concerns, don't mind the direction Microsoft is taking Windows, and keeping yourself locked in to Windows.
No problem for me.
Post edited September 13, 2015 by Ritualisto
phaolo: There should exist a WinBox for games.
Passing to Linux would be 80% easier.
Assisting newcomers to the Linux world with installing their games is the main objective of my ./play.it project.

The basics are in place, and I try to publish a new supported game every day (we’re not here yet, but it’s close). Anyway, this project still lacks three things to reach its objective in a reasonable time frame:
_more coders, to support the games I don’t own and help me publish quicker the games I own
_more testers, because feedback is the only way to improve this project
_native speakers of other languages than English or French, to help me support more languages for the feedback displayed during the building process

Small teaser: tomorrow new supported game has very high chances to be Don’t Starve ;)
Post edited September 13, 2015 by vv221
leon30: It was working perfectly before the install and after uninstall and installing the other distro. Thing was Asus were new to laptop making, OSes were new to UEFI and I suspect a driver failure or bad support of this particular motherboard (newer chip, older os) or something like this, but it could be also not properly installed driver, during the install process, which were quite automated btw.
ACPI

It goes like this.

if (WINDOWS)
some tested code to control fan
else
some untested random values
end

More, in Windows, the manufacturer loads drivers, that override ACPI code, which very often has bugs.
Then, you call them:
- Hello! I have a problem with my laptop xxxx
- Which version of Windows do you use?
- I am not using ...
- Sorry, we only support Windows.

What you can and should do, is to report and escalate the issue, so its fixed right in Linux Kernel. Kernel is full of such workarounds, hardware is a minefield.

If you think this is too much conspiracy to be true, read this.
Post edited September 13, 2015 by Lin545
vv221: Assisting newcomers to the Linux world with installing their games is the main objective of my ./play.it project.
Thanks, I'll check it then :)
Hello Linux fans, I have been using linux time to time to get used to it and i have a weird question. You know in windows you can right click and drag a file to somewhere else and then select "copy, move.. etc" from the menu that pops up. This doesnt happen in linux and I was wondering if there is a way to enable this feature. I googled but i couldnt find any satisfying answer.

in short, I want to move a file by dragging it with right mouse button. Is this possible?

tnx.
Engin.

EDIT: I am using linux mint 17.2
Post edited November 08, 2015 by Engerek01
Engerek01: in short, I want to move a file by dragging it with right mouse button. Is this possible?
This is not the right place to ask this question. But in Linux you can move files by dragging icons in file managers.
If I recall correctly, you can also use the Ctrl and Shift to let it know if you want to copy or move the file. And Dolphin used to ask me if I wanted to copy or move the files when dragging with the left mouse button.
Engerek01: in short, I want to move a file by dragging it with right mouse button. Is this possible?
Gede: This is not the right place to ask this question. But in Linux you can move files by dragging icons in file managers.
If I recall correctly, you can also use the Ctrl and Shift to let it know if you want to copy or move the file. And Dolphin used to ask me if I wanted to copy or move the files when dragging with the left mouse button.
This is the right place for my questions because everything I built is based on this topic. I asked maybe 10 questions here and built my linux according to answers in this topic. I am hoping the regulars of this topic will come to my aid once more.
You can achieve the desired result but using the middle mouse button in Linux.
Engerek01: Hello Linux fans, I have been using linux time to time to get used to it and i have a weird question. You know in windows you can right click and drag a file to somewhere else and then select "copy, move.. etc" from the menu that pops up. This doesnt happen in linux and I was wondering if there is a way to enable this feature. I googled but i couldnt find any satisfying answer.

in short, I want to move a file by dragging it with right mouse button. Is this possible?

tnx.
Engin.

EDIT: I am using linux mint 17.2
In KDE dragging with left-click pops up the menu showing the Move/Copy/Link options by default. If you drag a file/directory and then press Shift/Ctrl/Alt then it moves/copies/links without the menu popping up. I'm not sure if there is any way to have right click do this, although I've never tried changing it.

I'm not sure about other desktop environments as I haven't used them enough, however I just did a quick test with Cinnamon in a VM - if you drag with left-click then press and hold Alt before dropping the menu should pop up.
Thank you Guys, you are awesome.

I am searching for a way to customize the rightclick options. Cinnamon by default doesnt even let you drag with right mouse button. Actually the main reason of this question is learn ways to add new functionalities to clicks. I could just Ctrl+c and Ctrl+p anyways.