It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welcome, captain.

You took a wrong turn but ended up in the right place: the Haunted Traveler. Nobody remembers how this pub came to be and you'd swear it stands on a different corner every night. Yet somehow, its patrons always seem to find their way here.

Two weeks you were out there, drifting through the High Wilderness up in Sunless Skies aboard your brave locomotive. You got some stories to tell and we want to hear them.

Regale us with your most spectacular, horrific, exhilarating tales and these rewards could be yours:

• a set of three **very limited** pin badges
• and an item of your choosing from the official Failbetter store

The rules are simple: write a short story in English no longer than 101 words, inspired by the Fallen London universe and post it below. Begin your tale with either of these phrases:

The first thing we saw was...
The last thing we expected was...

We'll listen to your tale, sip our ale, and pick the three stories that impressed us the most. Will they be about a soul-crushing disaster, a fascinating discovery, an amusing anecdote? The tone and premise of the story are up to you. You can even participate with more than one story if you fancy.

So go on, captain, spin us a short tale that could make eldritch horrors weep with awe.
You have until February 24th, 11pm UTC to drop your submission(s).
GOG.com: We'll listen to your tale, sip our ale, and pick the three stories that impressed us the most. Will they be about a soul-crushing disaster, a fascinating discovery, an amusing anecdote? The tone and premise of the story are up to you. You can even participate with more than one story if you fancy.

So go on, captain, spin us a short tale that could make eldritch horrors weep with awe.
You have until February 24th, 11pm UTC to drop your submission(s).
Did anyone win?
Um, yes, did anyone win? Or lose? Or fall into a weft of enormous brain?
This contest happened around the time GOG let some people go. Maybe the one running the contest was one of them. At the very least the contest took a back seat. That's kinda what I figured.
I got a message two days ago from GOG support that said my story won, so I'm assuming there are two others out there as well.
Post edited March 16, 2019 by doyourealize
Hey, well done! Congratulations! Now I've got to go back and read them all again. High quality stuff, so you should be rerally proud of yourself.
Can confirm, received the note about being a winner.
Anticon: Hey, well done! Congratulations! Now I've got to go back and read them all again. High quality stuff, so you should be rerally proud of yourself.
Thank you!
AyeBraine: Can confirm, received the note about being a winner.
Congrats! Did they tell you which of your stories won? My vote's for the cake story.
Sorry for the late notice, everyone. I wanted to wait until all of the winners replied.

Now I can happily announce that AyeBraine, BoywithaTrain and doyourealize are the lucky winners!

Congratulations :)
chandra: Sorry for the late notice, everyone. I wanted to wait until all of the winners replied.

Now I can happily announce that AyeBraine, BoywithaTrain and doyourealize are the lucky winners!

Congratulations :)
Well done to the winners! Is there any chance of knowing which of their stories won (as they submitted multiple entries)?
Congrats to the winners!

Saving all these for posterity as there's so much good stuff on here.
AyeBraine: Can confirm, received the note about being a winner.
doyourealize: Congrats! Did they tell you which of your stories won? My vote's for the cake story.
Congratulations to you too! No, I don't know for sure. I think you're right though.
Post edited March 31, 2019 by AyeBraine