It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Considering how ugly the legal battle looked from the outside, the settlement is surprisingly amicable. If only more disputes ended like this...
Lashiec: Considering how ugly the legal battle looked from the outside, the settlement is surprisingly amicable. If only more disputes ended like this...
Aha, wow. It really does seem pretty good for everyone. This is the kind of resolution I was hoping for before everything went to shit. I'm not quite at the point where I'll buy Origins, but maybe one day.
Post edited June 12, 2019 by SirPrimalform
I'm willing to be Stardock finally got their heads out their ass and realized they didn't have the rights they thought they did...
And based on what interpretation is that?

Stardock seems to have full distribution rights to the original Star Control games now.
Stardock has full rights to make any and all future Star Control games as they control the Trademark.
Fred and Paul will be in the midst of a cooling off period where they will not be making announcements about their own game so as not to confuse it with Star Control: Origins.

Stardock got everything they thought they owned and wanted.
Post edited June 12, 2019 by RWarehall
RWarehall: And based on what interpretation is that?

Stardock seems to have full distribution rights to the original Star Control games now.
Stardock has full rights to make any and all future Star Control games as they control the Trademark.
Fred and Paul will be in the midst of a cooling off period where they will not be making announcements about their own game so as not to confuse it with Star Control: Origins.

Stardock got everything they thought they owned and wanted.
You must have missed the part where they have to pay some heft royalties to Paul and Fred from the sales of the original games. So, I'm guessing they don't own the rights to those but rather have a publishing contract for them now.
paladin181: You must have missed the part where they have to pay some heft royalties to Paul and Fred from the sales of the original games. So, I'm guessing they don't own the rights to those but rather have a publishing contract for them now.
Apparently you have continuously missed the fact that the distribution agreement has always been a 50/50 split of revenue between Fred and Paul and the distributor even when it was Atari. Amazing how ignorant you seem to be over the facts of the situation...
And in the end, hell froze over. ;-p

https://twitter.com/draginol/status/1138630959144656896
foxworks: Hope to see it soon on GOG.
Me too.

The Star Control Origins universe (now known as "the Star Control franchise") will continue in a disconnected bubble from the Ur-Quan Masters/Ghosts of the Precursors universe (now known as "the Ur-Quan Masters franchise").

Stardock's Origins title will continue to be sold, and Stardock can produce DLCs and sequels as it likes, so long as those future expansions don't nudge into "old" Star Control territory with respect to aliens and locations and plots (there are a few caveats around the Arilou, but that's the basics of the agreement).

Reiche, in turn, volunteered to spend some time writing some creative ideas for the Origins universe, to give it even more of that classic Star Control vibe.
This is the key point to me - Star Control Origins is its own thing while the original two games and the prospective Ur-Quan Masters sequel are their own thing. Wardell has the trademarks but does not creatively control the copyrighted content of the original games or any Ur-Quan sequels. As a fan of the original games, this is the only thing I ever cared about. I'm glad fans of the Origins game can enjoy that, and all I want is for R and F to get going on their new game at some point.
Post edited June 12, 2019 by andysheets1975