It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Ingsoc85: They actually have some good under 5$ games.

The Perfidious Petrol Station
That one gets my recommendation, hilarious game.

I've got mixed thoughts on ShinyLoot.The guys behind it seemed nice enough, the store was laid out well and they had a interesting review perk (review a game and get around 15 cents in credit). However their library never seemed to grow, there was no sense of community and they had a pretty terrible download speed (at least when I used it). I'm sad that these two guys weren't able to achieve whatever they set out for, but at the same time...I can't say that I'm sad to see ShinyLoot go, it was always just sorta "there".
yogsloth: I'm tellin' ya, with Desura dead and even Humble seeming to be making a major strategic shift, the door is open for Groupees to become a player. But I rather expect them to be the next to go under, sadly.
What makes you feel that way (about Groupees)? I've noticed they've started introducing higher and higher cost tiers, and there has been more of a focus on music than games when I've checked it lately, but I don't think that necessarily says much about how well the site is doing.
NoNewTaleToTell: What makes you feel that way (about Groupees)? I've noticed they've started introducing higher and higher cost tiers, and there has been more of a focus on music than games when I've checked it lately, but I don't think that necessarily says much about how well the site is doing.
Overall revenue/bundle has been steadily declining. I know a little bit of "under the hood" stuff over there and I have a pretty good idea of their total revenue... and it's not enough to sustain a business.

They promised a storefront by Q4 2015 and that promise quietly died.

I get the vibe that Thomas (the owner) isn't willing to put much more capital into it. He bought BIAB and folded it into Groupees, but I don't think it's gone precisely the way he hoped.

Hope I'm wrong and it blossoms.
PaterAlf: I have several games there, but it's not a big loss, because I already downloaded everything some time ago. I should use my $5 store credit though (which they gave to me, because a download didn't work).

Any suggestions for a game I should get?
Personal recommendations for games that GOG doesn't have:

Gun Metal
Major Mayhem
One Finger Death Punch

Also heard good comments about:
Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land
Cthulhu Saves the World
low rated
PaterAlf: I have several games there, but it's not a big loss, because I already downloaded everything some time ago. I should use my $5 store credit though (which they gave to me, because a download didn't work).

Any suggestions for a game I should get?
am0k swears by Creeper World and its follow-ups. It does have a (one-time, offline) key validation and it is $10. Check for other hurdles on follow-ups - I think I only grabbed 1 for a reason... I haven't tried it yet (bought in November sale) but it looks pretty cool...
Post edited January 07, 2016 by budejovice
budejovice: am0k swears by Creeper World and its follow-ups. It does have a (one-time, offline) key validation and it is $10. Check for other hurdles on follow-ups - I think I only grabbed 1 for a reason... I haven't tried it yet (bought in November sale) but it looks pretty cool...
Ingsoc85: They actually have some good under 5$ games.

Good ones are the Gobliiins trilogy, Painkiller, The Perfidious Petrol Station, Earth games etc.
Grargar: Personal recommendations for games that GOG doesn't have:

Gun Metal
Major Mayhem
One Finger Death Punch

Also heard good comments about:
Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land
Cthulhu Saves the World
Thank you for the recommendations. I will take a closer look at Major Mayhem. I think besides Creeper World 3 (which is a little too expensive for my taste) it's the only game that I don't own yet.
Another store that disappeared a few weeks ago was GetGamesGo, which also had some DRM-free titles.
Damn it... bad news. :(
Did they have a different name once upon a time? They sent me an email using the login tinyE and I swear I've never even been to the site before. :P
yogsloth: Overall revenue/bundle has been steadily declining. I know a little bit of "under the hood" stuff over there and I have a pretty good idea of their total revenue... and it's not enough to sustain a business.
Like ShinyLoot, Groupees is under the mistaken belief that it can sustain a business on low-grade indie games alone. The problem is that very few people outside of the hardcore anti-AAA segment and the self-appointed art critics wants these games. In fact, unlike ShinyLoot, Groupees has made a consistent habit of misleading buyers about the quality of the games it sells in the bundles, including neglecting to mention that certain games are not complete and adding a DRM-free logo when the only DRM-free download is an alpha-stage demo. That hasn't done their reputation any favours. I've bought bundles there in the past to support my own little taste for retro-themed titles, but even that has stopped now.

It hasn't helped that the standard of the games themselves has been steadily declining over time on Groupees. About 95% of the stuff that appears there is content that would have barely passed muster as freeware a decade ago. The problem with the indie market is that everyone has delusions that because they now have the means to sell a game, they have the right to get rich off it, but they fail to realise that the game is anything but commercial-grade.

I called it that ShinyLoot would be the first storefront after Desura to die out. Their fate was sealed the moment they decided to abandon their principles and become Just Another Steam Key Seller(R). If I'm still on the ball with my estimates, I'd imagine GamersGate will be next to go, followed by GMG. The problem is that digital distribution is not a market that lends itself well to competition - it is a market that has a knack of cannibalising itself over time.
Post edited January 07, 2016 by jamyskis
One dies so another could live. I'm sad another venture has closed and many are affected, but as a customer of GOG maybe this means that the business here will get a boost and more people will join.
HijacK: One dies so another could live. I'm sad another venture has closed and many are affected, but as a customer of GOG maybe this means that the business here will get a boost and more people will join.
I don't think so. ShinyLoot never was a big store and never had a dedicated customer base. Most of the people who bought there from time to time probably already have an account here as well.
That's sad. It shows how niche DRM free gaming really is.
low rated
amok: That's sad. It shows how niche DRM free gaming really is.
While I spread your gospel a few posts ago, I have no idea why I thought your name was spelled with a "0"... :)
Which reminds me that i ahould get my desura and shinyloot games and backup them. Otoh i started buying games because i got tired at some point to backup pirated stuff... Seems like small sites are doomed to fail. I'm betting groupees or itch.io to be next. So in conclusion i'll stick to GOG and steam for stuff bot on GOG.
amok: That's sad. It shows how niche DRM free gaming really is.
budejovice: While I spread your gospel a few posts ago, I have no idea why I thought your name was spelled with a "0"... :)
I keep trying to make people spread my gospel.... not sure about the 0, though.