It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Jegriva: A question for the American fellows: how much the Roman Empire is covered on the history school program?

In most of the european nation, because the Roman Empire brought literally "civilization" (non offense intended for the Celts or the German: simply, they didn't built much ;-) ), it's a very important historical period (it usually defines the very beginning of the spreading if Western Civilization).

Though, I heard that in USA schools, usually the history "begins" with the American Revolution. What happened before is "european stuff". Is it true?
stoicsentry: I'm a history teacher in the States. We teach world history in 9th and 10th grades (ages 13-15, give or take). No U.S. history is taught during this time. Rome gets plenty of attention in world history classes.

Oops, I didn't realize how old this thread is. I've probably even responded to this question already. I guess I don't know my own posting history that well!
If no one cares if I opine, I didn't go to a public school, so my perspective might be different:
In my school we were given some generic American history in earlier grades, as well as basic world history (very, very basic). In sixth grade things got more complicated, in seventh we learned about our individual state, in eighth grade it was decently in depth history from ancient to modern times, in ninth we did world history in more detail, and in 10th we did American history again. Always hit heavily on Rome, Greece, Persia, and Egypt as well as the fertile crescent. The middle ages was mostly about the Norman Conquest, English history after that, the Reformation, the Renaissance, and New World colonization. So on and so forth.

That might not be the best way to put it, but it's pretty much how my school went about it. Also, I suppose I should say, none of my history classes began teaching the War for Independence, if they dealt only with the US it usually began per-civilization.

That might help, it might not.

Edit: Would anyone mind if I asked what their history classes generally are about?
Post edited October 09, 2014 by AnimalMother117
stoicsentry: I'm a history teacher in the States. We teach world history in 9th and 10th grades (ages 13-15, give or take). No U.S. history is taught during this time. Rome gets plenty of attention in world history classes.

Oops, I didn't realize how old this thread is. I've probably even responded to this question already. I guess I don't know my own posting history that well!
AnimalMother117: If no one cares if I opine, I didn't go to a public school, so my perspective might be different:
In my school we were given some generic American history in earlier grades, as well as basic world history (very, very basic). In sixth grade things got more complicated, in seventh we learned about our individual state, in eighth grade it was decently in depth history from ancient to modern times, in ninth we did world history in more detail, and in 10th we did American history again. Always hit heavily on Rome, Greece, Persia, and Egypt as well as the fertile crescent. The middle ages was mostly about the Norman Conquest, English history after that, the Reformation, the Renaissance, and New World colonization. So on and so forth.

That might not be the best way to put it, but it's pretty much how my school went about it. Also, I suppose I should say, none of my history classes began teaching the War for Independence, if they dealt only with the US it usually began per-civilization.

That might help, it might not.

Edit: Would anyone mind if I asked what their history classes generally are about?
A really non-linear way to teach history!
Shadowstalker16: Somethings I really wanted to know:

1.What do Chinese people think of India?
I'm not Chinese but after living here for 7 years, I can give you some insight into this question.

Truth be told, Chinese don't usually mention India in any conversations I've had but when it happens, theres usually two incidences that bring it up. The first is China and India are emerging economic powers and there is competition on that front to see which country will come out ahead. Not just in terms of economy but also societial aspects of the country as well. The other aspect and to put it bluntly, understanding what they are saying is diffifcult because their their strong accents. Other than those, India never gets mentioned.

Thing is with people, we tend to simply things to makes things easier for us to comprehend. Chinese do this to a fault. In their eyes, there are only two types of people, Chinese and non-Chinese. In a management class, I took here, the teachers powerpoint presentation had this logic. "Chinese talk this way, foriegners talk that way. Chinese do this, foriegners do that. Chinese are traditional (also total BS but they like to think this anyway), foriegners are more open". Anyone who can use their head can see the problem here. For the 7 years I've been in China, I've seen people talk like this countless times in different settings. Sometimes I can't follow what a person is saying because they are thinking in terms that are too simplistic to be feasable. For example, one time I was asked "where in the UK is a good place to work?" Well, what exactly is a good place to work? If you are talking about high salary, how am I supposed to know, different places have different policies on wages and an applicants education and job experience will also be a factor. Asking a question like this is like asking how long a piece of rope is.

With this in mind, it doesn't matter where you are from, if a Chinese sees that you are a non-Chinese, the first thing they will think is you are from America until you say otherwise. Japanese and Koreans certainly don't get this treatment but I'm not sure if Indians do. The only experience I have to back this up is while I was in Korea, I met an Indian guy there who was constantly being mistaken for an American and he was getting a little tired of it. The same thing happens in China. However, once it's established that you are not American, they will fall back on their overly simplistic notions on what a person from that country should be like. French are all romantic, British are all gentlemenly, Americans all have guns etc etc. For Indians though, the only ideas I've heard were the two I mentioned above.

I hope that bit of insight helps
Shadowstalker16: Somethings I really wanted to know:

1.What do Chinese people think of India?
IwubCheeze: I'm not Chinese but after living here for 7 years, I can give you some insight into this question.

Truth be told, Chinese don't usually mention India in any conversations I've had but when it happens, theres usually two incidences that bring it up. The first is China and India are emerging economic powers and there is competition on that front to see which country will come out ahead. Not just in terms of economy but also societial aspects of the country as well. The other aspect and to put it bluntly, understanding what they are saying is diffifcult because their their strong accents. Other than those, India never gets mentioned.

Thing is with people, we tend to simply things to makes things easier for us to comprehend. Chinese do this to a fault. In their eyes, there are only two types of people, Chinese and non-Chinese. In a management class, I took here, the teachers powerpoint presentation had this logic. "Chinese talk this way, foriegners talk that way. Chinese do this, foriegners do that. Chinese are traditional (also total BS but they like to think this anyway), foriegners are more open". Anyone who can use their head can see the problem here. For the 7 years I've been in China, I've seen people talk like this countless times in different settings. Sometimes I can't follow what a person is saying because they are thinking in terms that are too simplistic to be feasable. For example, one time I was asked "where in the UK is a good place to work?" Well, what exactly is a good place to work? If you are talking about high salary, how am I supposed to know, different places have different policies on wages and an applicants education and job experience will also be a factor. Asking a question like this is like asking how long a piece of rope is.

With this in mind, it doesn't matter where you are from, if a Chinese sees that you are a non-Chinese, the first thing they will think is you are from America until you say otherwise. Japanese and Koreans certainly don't get this treatment but I'm not sure if Indians do. The only experience I have to back this up is while I was in Korea, I met an Indian guy there who was constantly being mistaken for an American and he was getting a little tired of it. The same thing happens in China. However, once it's established that you are not American, they will fall back on their overly simplistic notions on what a person from that country should be like. French are all romantic, British are all gentlemenly, Americans all have guns etc etc. For Indians though, the only ideas I've heard were the two I mentioned above.

Very interesting insight! Thanks for sharing. In India, most stuff people say on the China is about either communism or border disputes. Seems both sides don't seem to care for eachothers cultures and traditions, both of which are very rich.
I actually have a couple.

1. For residents/natives of the British Isles, or anyone who would know, any preference between the Robin Hood and Ivanhoe narratives generally speaking? Where I live, I learned about Ivanhoe through English Literature in high school. Also, is the 1997 mini series particularly good?
2. What's GMT when you're posting? Here's what it was when I looked:

2:46 AM +00:00 on Monday, October 27
AnimalMother117: 2. What's GMT when you're posting? Here's what it was when I looked:

During winter, British time matches that of the GMT (hence why it is +0). It's only during summer that the British isles run on British Summer Time, which makes them +1 hour ahead of GMT.
A general questions, perhaps suited a bit to it's own forum, but I thought I'd give it a crack here.

Non-Americans, what's the first computer you came into contact with (not strictly owned)?
GoodGuyA: A general questions, perhaps suited a bit to it's own forum, but I thought I'd give it a crack here.

Non-Americans, what's the first computer you came into contact with (not strictly owned)?
(predating with Atari 2600 and other friend owned era / pre-era consoles etc)

BBC MIcrocomputer. School. Around 1985.

After that (and in vague order - though missing some series numbers and going by brands at the time)

Amiga summat or other

ZX Spectrum

Amiga - summat bettarer than it was before

486 PC (around the time they appeared, my first saturday job was at a computer fair where they were demo'd)
AnimalMother117: 2. What's GMT when you're posting? Here's what it was when I looked:

Gandos: During winter, British time matches that of the GMT (hence why it is +0). It's only during summer that the British isles run on British Summer Time, which makes them +1 hour ahead of GMT.
I had another question for anyone that I dropped, but I kept it on anyway. Thanks for that, though.
GoodGuyA: A general questions, perhaps suited a bit to it's own forum, but I thought I'd give it a crack here.

This really depends on how you define "computer", but since this is a gaming website, I'm gonna go with the Sega Mega Drive (or Genesis for you :P)
IwubCheeze: I'm not Chinese but after living here for 7 years, I can give you some insight into this question.

Shadowstalker16: Very interesting insight! Thanks for sharing. In India, most stuff people say on the China is about either communism or border disputes. Seems both sides don't seem to care for eachothers cultures and traditions, both of which are very rich.
I also live and work in China, I been coming here since 2008 but I been living continually for 2 years, I agree with the most part of the things he said, but I need to add something.

Please dont take it offensively :) , among girls here in Shanghai, (I been living in SH most part of the time, even if now I work and live in Beijing, I can mostly talk about "shanghainese") Chna is a BIG country and you can find really big even ifthey look subtle are big, differences between people behaviour in different cities... so to the point, Shanghai girls have a very bad image about indian guys, almost every one of my friends talk bad about them. I dont know if it is something related with the skin colour, chinese prefer white people and skins, they are kinda racist (not all) for this. But also because girls here dated some indian guys (there are many in SH) and they said that, usually all not only indian, foreigns are really poor commited or loyal, but they say indian guys are the worst of all them.

Just my two cents :) no offense, is just what I heard, I think will be true or not depending on the guy.

Probably the Apple Macintosh. I remember they showed it one morning on TV. They showed how to make a drawing, then drag it into the trashcan to get rid of it... it was amazing!!! :)
I seem to remember, my dad also entered some kind of contest whose first prize was one of those computers, but we didn't win. My memory is very uncertain about this, however.
The first computer I owned, as for a lot of people of course, was the C64.
Shadowstalker16: Very interesting insight! Thanks for sharing. In India, most stuff people say on the China is about either communism or border disputes. Seems both sides don't seem to care for eachothers cultures and traditions, both of which are very rich.
YaTEdiGo: I also live and work in China, I been coming here since 2008 but I been living continually for 2 years, I agree with the most part of the things he said, but I need to add something.

Please dont take it offensively :) , among girls here in Shanghai, (I been living in SH most part of the time, even if now I work and live in Beijing, I can mostly talk about "shanghainese") Chna is a BIG country and you can find really big even ifthey look subtle are big, differences between people behaviour in different cities... so to the point, Shanghai girls have a very bad image about indian guys, almost every one of my friends talk bad about them. I dont know if it is something related with the skin colour, chinese prefer white people and skins, they are kinda racist (not all) for this. But also because girls here dated some indian guys (there are many in SH) and they said that, usually all not only indian, foreigns are really poor commited or loyal, but they say indian guys are the worst of all them.

Just my two cents :) no offense, is just what I heard, I think will be true or not depending on the guy.
Its actually common to all Asian peoples, I think. Indians have that too (well, guys do as far as I know, girls may or may not be). Basically, whiter is seen as better. Fortunately for me, I'm fairly light skinned, so I have at least that covered XD. But again, thanks for the insight! Do Beijing citizens have the same opinion?XD
mcleodone: But a respectful advice ChaunceyK:
If you get into trouble at stresstest or EKG say it out loud and early - friend of mine had a heartattack at his test
and got two stents... age 37.... hes fine now but life has changed - also to us friends we live more aware now that everyday is a gift.

No worries, but dont try to be a hero!
ChaunceyK: Oh, that makes me feel so much better...lol. But your advice is duly noted.
well 2 weeks later
let us know your still alive and well
YaTEdiGo: I also live and work in China, I been coming here since 2008 but I been living continually for 2 years, I agree with the most part of the things he said, but I need to add something.

Shadowstalker16: Its actually common to all Asian peoples, I think. Indians have that too (well, guys do as far as I know, girls may or may not be). Basically, whiter is seen as better. Fortunately for me, I'm fairly light skinned, so I have at least that covered XD. But again, thanks for the insight! Do Beijing citizens have the same opinion?XD
Still didnt lived time enough in BJ to have a solid opinion, actually I AM IN LOVE with Shanghai, Beijing gave me a better job, and better oportunity for my career, but if I could have the same job in SH... I would dont hesitate to be back there as fast as possible... but I also feel commited to my actual company... so I cannot do it...

It is ... life... :S
Post edited October 27, 2014 by YaTEdiGo