It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Nameless Hero returns to GOG.com.

<span class="bold">Gothic 2</span> and <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span>, legendary open world RPGs return to GOG.com!

<span class="bold">Gothic 2</span> and <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span> are the two final (and increasingly greatest) entries in the overarching "Nameless Hero" saga of the vast, open-world RPG series. Whether you go a bit retro with the quirks of <span class="bold">Gothic 2</span>, or with <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span>, which still puts open world RPGs to shame, you're about to venture into a world that stands open before you, ready with its reaction to your every single action. Explore the land filled with nooks and crannies, side with whoever you want, destroy anyone, or don't, and deal with the consequences. If that's not enough for you - make sure to try <span class="bold">Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods</span> for more hours of adventure.

The Gothic series may not be perfect, but with years of community effort it gets darn near close. <span class="bold">Gothic 2</span> can be modded up to modern standards with improved mouse controls, graphical updates, and various improvements - just check out our own forum thread on Gothic series patches, mods, and tweaks. <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span> had its share of issues at launch, but the immense Community Patch solves nearly every single one of them. The patch is incorporated into the GOG.com release!

Return to the DRM-free land of Myrtana in <span class="bold">Gothic 2</span> and <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span>, available once more, DRM-free on GOG.com. The launch discount will end on Sunday, April 19, at 12:59 PM GMT.
Kostaz: Do we know whether the re-releases are different to the previously available data? I understand Gothic 3 has one of the CPs installed now, but what about Gothic 2?
Nope. It's the same game.
Kostaz: Do we know whether the re-releases are different to the previously available data? I understand Gothic 3 has one of the CPs installed now, but what about Gothic 2?
Grargar: Nope. It's the same game.
Not even patches to indicate the different publisher? Sorry to be pedantic but I'm asking if the Data is literally identical. And if not, how has it been tempered with.

As a disclaimer: The reason I'm asking is due to occasional problem peope report with playing the old gothics on modern systems/OSs and the fact that at various times there's been confusion as to installing international patches on final versions etc.
Post edited April 30, 2015 by Kostaz
Kostaz: Not even patches to indicate the different publisher? Sorry to be pedantic but I'm asking if the Data is literally identical. And if not, how has it been tempered with.
Why should they? The original publisher (JoWood) shut down 4 years ago, hence why neither Nordic and neither Piranha Bytes bothered to remove JoWood's logo from the game. It would be a different case if the publisher was still alive (like in the case of the Fallout games changing hands and Bethesda having to tinker with the trademarks).

Kostaz: As a disclaimer: The reason I'm asking is due to occasional problem peope report with playing the old gothics on modern systems/OSs and the fact that at various times there's been confusion as to installing international patches on final versions etc.
The only fix that has existed in GOG's Gothic 2 is the fullscreen fix. That has been the case for a long time, though. Gothic 3's community patch was also included in the GOG version, at least since 2013.
Post edited April 30, 2015 by Grargar
Kostaz: Not even patches to indicate the different publisher? Sorry to be pedantic but I'm asking if the Data is literally identical. And if not, how has it been tempered with.
Grargar: Why should they? The original publisher (JoWood) shut down 4 years ago, hence why neither Nordic and neither Piranha Bytes bothered to remove JoWood's logo from the game. It would be a different case if the publisher was still alive (like in the case of the Fallout games changing hands and Bethesda having to tinker with the trademarks).

Kostaz: As a disclaimer: The reason I'm asking is due to occasional problem peope report with playing the old gothics on modern systems/OSs and the fact that at various times there's been confusion as to installing international patches on final versions etc.
Grargar: The only fix that has existed in GOG's Gothic 2 is the fullscreen fix. That has been the case for a long time, though. Gothic 3's community patch was also included in the GOG version, at least since 2013.
Ok thanks for the info. What about the fact that Gothic 2 classic is impossible to install now (without NotR), do you reckon that is just a change in the installer?
Kostaz: Ok thanks for the info. What about the fact that Gothic 2 classic is impossible to install now (without NotR), do you reckon that is just a change in the installer?
While the early Gothic 2 installers did give the option to install the base game without the expansion, this stopped being the case, at least ever since September 2013. If you want to play the base game without the expansion, my advice is to follow this guide.
Post edited May 03, 2015 by Grargar
low rated
I would like to raise a humble question again...
...where is original Gothic 2 ?
https://www.gog.com/forum/gothic_series/forced_to_install_notr_in_g2

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/gothic_ii_vanilla about 600 people or more will buy it again or it could be great complementation of Gold version
NECROOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!

Ban, kill, eviscerate, disintegrate, exorcise, disinfect, kill it with fire !!!!
Call the town mage! There is the Thread Necromancer here!
Attachments:
Pouyou-pouyou: NECROOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!

Ban, kill, eviscerate, disintegrate, exorcise, disinfect, kill it with fire !!!!
Cadaver747: Call the town mage! There is the Thread Necromancer here!
He had a pertinent question.
paladin181: He had a pertinent question.
It was irony regarding my opinion in this thread.
paladin181: He had a pertinent question.
I agree, who needs search engines nowadays.
https://www.gog.com/forum/general_archive/last_chance_special/post729

EDIT: No, it's about Regional Pricing or something.

https://www.gog.com/forum/gothic_series/gothic_2_gold_edition_can_you_play_only_classic/post3
There is a workaround, also the post just above the Necro post provides suitable information.

And the answer was given (kind of) in a link (see attached), the same link psychosopher mentioned:
Attachments:
Post edited October 14, 2021 by Cadaver747
psychosopher: I would like to raise a humble question again...
...where is original Gothic 2 ?

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/games/gothic_ii_vanilla about 600 people or more will buy it again or it could be great complementation of Gold version
Alternatively you can contact support and, if you own the Gold Edition, they'll send you a link to an offline installer of Gothic 2 sans the Night of the Raven expansion.
Not sure why they can't just put it up in the extras section together with the soundtrack, the manuals and whatnot.

Worth pointing out that GoG for some reason only has access to the English localisation of said original Gothic 2 without NotR and can only provide that version.
I must say there's a point to this act of necromancy.
Gothic 2 "vanilla" and Gothic 2 Night of the Raven are hugely different, and given the brutal difficulty due to the skill system changes in the expansion I can see why some would prefer the old version.
I am not one of them, mind me, but they sure have valid reasons.
Enebias: I must say there's a point to this act of necromancy.
Gothic 2 "vanilla" and Gothic 2 Night of the Raven are hugely different
He should have just created a new discussion.
Bumping the re-release thread from 2015 makes no sense.
Enebias: I must say there's a point to this act of necromancy.
Gothic 2 "vanilla" and Gothic 2 Night of the Raven are hugely different
phaolo: He should have just created a new discussion.
Bumping the re-release thread from 2015 makes no sense.
Blue threads get more attention. I'm not judging, just saying that lately getting anything through GOG is a challenge.