It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Nameless Hero returns to GOG.com.

<span class="bold">Gothic 2</span> and <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span>, legendary open world RPGs return to GOG.com!

<span class="bold">Gothic 2</span> and <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span> are the two final (and increasingly greatest) entries in the overarching "Nameless Hero" saga of the vast, open-world RPG series. Whether you go a bit retro with the quirks of <span class="bold">Gothic 2</span>, or with <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span>, which still puts open world RPGs to shame, you're about to venture into a world that stands open before you, ready with its reaction to your every single action. Explore the land filled with nooks and crannies, side with whoever you want, destroy anyone, or don't, and deal with the consequences. If that's not enough for you - make sure to try <span class="bold">Gothic 3: Forsaken Gods</span> for more hours of adventure.

The Gothic series may not be perfect, but with years of community effort it gets darn near close. <span class="bold">Gothic 2</span> can be modded up to modern standards with improved mouse controls, graphical updates, and various improvements - just check out our own forum thread on Gothic series patches, mods, and tweaks. <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span> had its share of issues at launch, but the immense Community Patch solves nearly every single one of them. The patch is incorporated into the GOG.com release!

Return to the DRM-free land of Myrtana in <span class="bold">Gothic 2</span> and <span class="bold">Gothic 3</span>, available once more, DRM-free on GOG.com. The launch discount will end on Sunday, April 19, at 12:59 PM GMT.
LynetteC: The way I read his post, he has the original Sacred 2 and doesn't want to buy it again to play the add-on - but I may be wrong.:-)
Grargar: You meant Gothic 2. :P
With GOG's current system, even if they were to offer Night of the Raven separately, it would still require that you have the base Gothic 2 game here.
You're quite right, I *did* mean Gothic 2, not Sacred 2. I love 'em both! :-)
So the community patch now comes preinstalled in Gothic 3. Pretty cool.

For the developers of such a patch thus must be the ultimate achievement. To get your changes acknowledged so much that they become official.

RESPECT!
LynetteC: The way I read his post, he has the original Sacred 2 and doesn't want to buy it again to play the add-on - but I may be wrong.:-)
You are probably right: I took for granted that everyone knows that -at least, afaIk- GOG expansion installers are not compatible with retail versions of the respective games, but that is actually not so obvious. :)

Well, at least it was one more chance to advertise Gothic. Nobody can have enough Gothic. :P
Enebias: You are probably right: I took for granted that everyone knows that -at least, afaIk- GOG expansion installers are not compatible with retail versions of the respective games, but that is actually not so obvious. :)

Well, at least it was one more chance to advertise Gothic. Nobody can have enough Gothic. :P
Except I called it Sacred! DOH! lol

Go buy Sacred as well! (Another awesome game!)
Enebias: Playing Night of the Raven without the rest of Gothic 2 is impossible, as it is not a standalone expansion: NotR does not only add a big new area, new factions and a new part of the storyline, but it also brings several -significant- additions throughout the entire course of the game while massively changing the mechanics, the balancing in combat and the character progression.
Each new addition is perfectly blended with the base game, so to fully experience Night of the Raven you need to play through the entire game again! Trust me, you'll immediately notice how different from the vanilla version it is! :)
Yeah, it's like LynetteC wrote: I've the G2 retail version and would like to check the addon eventually. But thanks to Enebias for the nice post! :)
gamefood: Yeah, it's like LynetteC wrote: I've the G2 retail version and would like to check the addon eventually. But thanks to Enebias for the nice post! :)
Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, even if GOG did allow separate purchases of Gothic 2 base game and Night of the Raven, you would still need to own the base game here, before you were able to buy the expansion. Your only option for a digital version of Night of the Raven, is from a different store.
gamefood: Yeah, it's like LynetteC wrote: I've the G2 retail version and would like to check the addon eventually. But thanks to Enebias for the nice post! :)
Grargar: Unfortunately, as I mentioned above, even if GOG did allow separate purchases of Gothic 2 base game and Night of the Raven, you would still need to own the base game here, before you were able to buy the expansion. Your only option for a digital version of Night of the Raven, is from a different store.
For sure? Shit :(
But why that?
Please don't write: "It's a fact. " ;P
If you really want the expansion by itself you can buy it separately from Gamersgate and without having base G2 there, that is what I did many years ago.

Practically, there's very little advantage to doing that as opposed to just rebuying the full version. I certainly could have rebought for the same or less money as just buying the expansion, my main reason for buying it separately was due to being on a very restrictive data cap and NdR/ NotR being a considerably smaller download.
gamefood: For sure? Shit :(
But why that?
Assuming you're talking about why GOG doesn't allow you to buy an expansion/DLC for a game that you don't own here, Judas has answered that very same question in the past.
gamefood: Please don't write: "It's a fact. " ;P
I don't do so without explaining why it's a fact. :)
gamefood: For sure? Shit :(
But why that?
Grargar: Assuming you're talking about why GOG doesn't allow you to buy an expansion/DLC for a game that you don't own here, Judas has answered that very same question in the past.
gamefood: Please don't write: "It's a fact. " ;P
Grargar: I don't do so without explaining why it's a fact. :)
Hehe thanks Grargar! btw nice new cat pic :)
-------
I would have thought such version/installer things would be easy to put together but obviously they're not, concerning Judas' posts and especially this quote:
"In the old days, you could buy a physical game in one store, buy the expansion in another, and everything would work just as intended. Unfortunately, digital distribution does not work that way."
That sucks :(
So I have to make use of some other service like ebay or such in order to get a used one anywhere.
Because I'm not a fan of buying and owning things twice, I won't buy G2 again here just to get the add-on finally in a convenient way. Sadly this way gog.com & PB won't get no monetarily kudos from my side for the pleasant fact that they're back.
gamefood: So I have to make use of some other service like ebay or such in order to get a used one anywhere.
Because I'm not a fan of buying and owning things twice, I won't buy G2 again here just to get the add-on finally in a convenient way. Sadly this way gog.com & PB won't get no monetarily kudos from my side for the pleasant fact that they're back.
As Phasmid said above, you could buy the expansion from GamersGate. It costs €5 there, but it's oftenly discounted. About 1 month ago, you could buy it for €1 there.
Post edited April 21, 2015 by Grargar
candesco: Dunno if Piranha Bytes was still having a case with jowood in court. I know that jowood and piranha bytes were having issues with each other after gothic 3.
Anyway, it's good that the 3 gothic games return to the original dev.
As a result of piranha bytes having the rights back that mediocre game which was called Arcania: A gothic tale (also known as gothic 4, was developed by spellbound) is renamed to just Arcania and having all ties cut from the gothic serie. So that one is no longer considered to be a gothic game. Not that it was the case among the fans in the first place as they moved to the Risen francise from piranha bytes. But now it's official.
Not sure if the article is any indication, but in spite of being published by Piranha Bytes, Forsaken Gods doesn't appear to be canon as it was only created to tie in the story of Gothic 3 to Arcania and it was developed by another third party, not Piranha Bytes.

candesco: I have the Gothic Universe bundle, published by dreamcatcher, myself. Aside from the included CP i guess there isn't much difference between that one and this re-release.
What's a CP?

candesco: Also happen to have the forsaken gods expansion for gothic 3.
Never tried it so far though.
It is ok. Kinda buggy and bland. It was obviously not made by Piranha Bytes and let's hope and pray to whatever that it is not canon as the story is kind of a mess from what I've heard and it was only meant to tie in the events of Arcania and Gothic 3.
candesco: Dunno if Piranha Bytes was still having a case with jowood in court. I know that jowood and piranha bytes were having issues with each other after gothic 3.
Anyway, it's good that the 3 gothic games return to the original dev.
As a result of piranha bytes having the rights back that mediocre game which was called Arcania: A gothic tale (also known as gothic 4, was developed by spellbound) is renamed to just Arcania and having all ties cut from the gothic serie. So that one is no longer considered to be a gothic game. Not that it was the case among the fans in the first place as they moved to the Risen francise from piranha bytes. But now it's official.
HijacK: Not sure if the article is any indication, but in spite of being published by Piranha Bytes, Forsaken Gods doesn't appear to be canon as it was only created to tie in the story of Gothic 3 to Arcania and it was developed by another third party, not Piranha Bytes.

candesco: I have the Gothic Universe bundle, published by dreamcatcher, myself. Aside from the included CP i guess there isn't much difference between that one and this re-release.
HijacK: What's a CP?

candesco: Also happen to have the forsaken gods expansion for gothic 3.
Never tried it so far though.
HijacK: It is ok. Kinda buggy and bland. It was obviously not made by Piranha Bytes and let's hope and pray to whatever that it is not canon as the story is kind of a mess from what I've heard and it was only meant to tie in the events of Arcania and Gothic 3.
1) According to the jewelcase of forsaken gods it was created by Trine Games and publishd by JoWood.
2) I mean community patch
3) I've purchased it to complete the serie and also to see it myself. But what do you mean with canon. The lore?
Well, from what i've heard Arcania is a complete different game and has actually nothing to do with the 3 gothic games anymore. Risen is considered to be the successor to gothic.
candesco: 3) I've purchased it to complete the serie and also to see it myself. But what do you mean with canon. The lore?
Well, from what i've heard Arcania is a complete different game and has actually nothing to do with the 3 gothic games anymore. Risen is considered to be the successor to gothic.
Canon is the term used to define the official story. Arcania still has something to do with the Gothic series through references since the sole purpose of Forsaken Gods was to tie the 2 universes together and make Jowood distance itself from Piranha Bytes, but Arcania is no longer considered canon since the IP is no longer in Jowood hands and it is in the ebst interest of Piranha Bytes not to acknowledge that game for obvious reasons. By canon it is interpreted whether FK is part of the official story accepted by the developer and after which they will make more games or not. Being canon means that weak story that was not even created by them is actually part of the official story line and it will have an impact on future titles. Not being canon means it's a spin-off and won't have any effect on the story development of a future Gothic title, if such game will come to fruition. I remember reading a statement by Piranha Bytes who confirmed to the fanbase Arcania is a spin-off. I don't remember where I read it though as I am inclined to check the same thing for FK. As for Risen, that's besides the point. It is set neither in the same universe as Gothic, nor does it have any relevance besides being a spiritual successor.
Post edited April 21, 2015 by HijacK
Do we know whether the re-releases are different to the previously available data? I understand Gothic 3 has one of the CPs installed now, but what about Gothic 2?