It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Check out this tactical turn-based RPG – Zoria: Age of Shattering is now available on GOG with a -10% launch discount until March 14th, 4 PM UTC!

It’s a squad-based tactical RPG with fluid turn-based combat, outpost, and followers management, set in the expansive fantasy world of Zoria. Lead a team of four heroes with their unique skills and perks – and remember, every team member contributes to undertaken battles.

You can now also get the Soundtrack and the Digital Bestiary.

Now on GOG!
Carradice: A question for the knowing: Which one to play, the Demo or the Prologue?
I would say the demo.

The prologue is from 2020 and the demo from 2023, so the latter better represents, I believe, the final game.
Post edited March 09, 2024 by mrkgnao
DNMR2K5: DAMN do I love CRPGs, and especially turned-based gaming ⇒ (Hey blobber devs, quit with the real-time combat please!)
New Blobber with turn-based combat: Ludus Mortis & Legends of Amberland II: The Song of Trees

https://www.gog.com/de/game/ludus_mortis

https://www.gog.com/de/game/legends_of_amberland_ii_the_song_of_trees
Post edited March 09, 2024 by RagenVadascovinich
After playing the demo and prologue, watching their release stream, walkthroughs of the first half-hour of gameplay, and reading reviews, I decided against buying this game.

The number one problem for me is item spam of all types of quality right from the beginning, and a very large inventory with no automatic sorting function, possessing more money than could ever be spent, and lastly walking from one small enemy encounter to the next. This is something I'm expecting in games like Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, Victor Vran, but not in a CRPG such as this. The economy is severely broken if not practically nonexistent. There is no reason to buy anything because the things in a player's possession are of much higher quality than what shops have on offer. Money is no incentive, and the only reason to go back to town is to free up inventory slots.

All of this strongly reminds me of the negative experience and impression playing Atlantis, Ragnarôk, and Eternal Embers left me with. Mobs are scattered around the map in very small groups, and I never felt any motivation to go there and kill them or repeatedly fight bosses for better loot and money, as was the case in TQ and IT.

It would be a different story if they had turned it into a full-fledged, real-time ARPG instead of taking most elements of this genre and making it a point to sell it as A squad-based tactical RPG with fluid turn-based combat without any of the underlying mechanics being well thought out and implemented. During the release stream, one of the developers said that they wanted to avoid 'feature creep,' yet I believe that that's exactly what happened, ruining whatever they originally might have had in mind for the game. External input could also have played a role. Instead of focusing on the core aspects of CRPG and fleshing them out, they threw everything they liked, heard, or were suggested into one pot, stirred it several times, and this is the result.

On a more positive note, the game looks nice, and the interface is decent. I'm also deeply in awe of the effort they put into the project, and that they kept working and successfully managed to release the game, and they deserve respect for it. But honest tries and a nice looking interface just aren't enough to outweigh the factors I've identified for myself to make me want to buy and play it myself even when it's discounted.
Post edited March 09, 2024 by Mori_Yuki
DNMR2K5: DAMN do I love CRPGs, and especially turned-based gaming ⇒ (Hey blobber devs, quit with the real-time combat please!)
RagenVadascovinich: New Blobber with turn-based combat: Ludus Mortis & Legends of Amberland II: The Song of Trees

https://www.gog.com/de/game/ludus_mortis

https://www.gog.com/de/game/legends_of_amberland_ii_the_song_of_trees
Thanks, for the info! But, I already snagged pretty much 85% of the blobbers/gridders offered here, and Amberland is a thoroughly addictive game series! :^)

Mori_Yuki: After playing the demo and prologue, watching their release stream, walkthroughs of the first half-hour of gameplay, and reading reviews, I decided against buying this game.

The number one problem for me is item spam of all types of quality right from the beginning, and a very large inventory with no automatic sorting function, possessing more money than could ever be spent, and lastly walking from one small enemy encounter to the next. This is something I'm expecting in games like Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, Victor Vran, but not in a CRPG such as this. The economy is severely broken if not practically nonexistent. There is no reason to buy anything because the things in a player's possession are of much higher quality than what shops have on offer. Money is no incentive, and the only reason to go back to town is to free up inventory slots.

All of this strongly reminds me of the negative experience and impression playing Atlantis, Ragnarôk, and Eternal Embers left me with. Mobs are scattered around the map in very small groups, and I never felt any motivation to go there and kill them or repeatedly fight bosses for better loot and money, as was the case in TQ and IT.

It would be a different story if they had turned it into a full-fledged, real-time ARPG instead of taking most elements of this genre and making it a point to sell it as A squad-based tactical RPG with fluid turn-based combat without any of the underlying mechanics being well thought out and implemented. During the release stream, one of the developers said that they wanted to avoid 'feature creep,' yet I believe that that's exactly what happened, ruining whatever they originally might have had in mind for the game. External input could also have played a role. Instead of focusing on the core aspects of CRPG and fleshing them out, they threw everything they liked, heard, or were suggested into one pot, stirred it several times, and this is the result.

On a more positive note, the game looks nice, and the interface is decent. I'm also deeply in awe of the effort they put into the project, and that they kept working and successfully managed to release the game, and they deserve respect for it. But honest tries and a nice looking interface just aren't enough to outweigh the factors I've identified for myself to make me want to buy and play it myself even when it's discounted.
Damn, what a depressing read, not to mention unribindable keys, well, at least in the demo, oh well, out of the cart and into the wishlist it goes… I'll get it when it goes on a deep sale.
Post edited March 10, 2024 by DNMR2K5
Carradice: A question for the knowing: Which one to play, the Demo or the Prologue?
mrkgnao: I would say the demo.

The prologue is from 2020 and the demo from 2023, so the latter better represents, I believe, the final game.
Thank you!
They have come a long way since their Steam Early Access days. Back when I tried it the first time, overall the game felt very janky. I have a feeling that the full release probably ironed out all the issues I had. Gonna give this another shot when it's part of a bigger discount bundle. My backlog is currently overflowing as is.
Does anyone know what kind of monsters are in the game?

I keep seeing giant spiders... giant spiders... and more giant spiders.

Was hoping the trailer or bestiary page might give a hint to more monsters (maybe even dragons?), but nothing.

I have a number of fantasy games in my backlog populated almost exclusively by humans and am looking to play something ATM with more fantastical beasts, so with that said...

Can anyone give me a clue as to other monsters in the game?

(ok, just watched the release trailer and it shows a Dragon and an Ent)
Post edited March 15, 2024 by kai2
kai2: Does anyone know what kind of monsters are in the game?

Was hoping the trailer or bestiary page might give a hint to more monsters (maybe even dragons?), but nothing.

I have a number of fantasy games in my backlog populated almost exclusively by humans and am looking to play something ATM with more fantastical beasts, so with that said...

At least from my time in the early access version of the game, it ran the gamut of fantasy monsters. Everything from wild animals and humanoid enemies, to undead and supernatural. I'm not sure there is any collective theme. Things that you'll see in most RPGs is what you'll likely see here.
kai2: Does anyone know what kind of monsters are in the game?

Devyatovskiy: At least from my time in the early access version of the game, it ran the gamut of fantasy monsters. Everything from wild animals and humanoid enemies, to undead and supernatural. I'm not sure there is any collective theme. Things that you'll see in most RPGs is what you'll likely see here.
Thank you for the reply!

Yeah, I'd watched a few episodes of a full release playthrough and just saw giant spiders after giants spiders... thanks for the heads up that there are indeed a number of beasts to populate the Digital Bestiary.

Even though the release discount has expired I'm tempted to pull the trigger. Great respect for a dev team of 3 pulling off a full tactical RPG.