It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Fly me to the moon and let me play among the stats.

X4: Foundations is now available, DRM-free.

All the building materials that define a true X-perience are here, this time fueled by an even more dynamic world and economy, plus the ability to slip inside every single ship, fly them around and upgrade them to suit your playstyle.

Go for the Collector's Edition for the digital soundtrack, access to two future expansions and more.
kohlrak: SLI support is spotty.
FTFY. While some games handle SLI pretty well, others cringe, roll, flip over and crash.
Post edited December 05, 2018 by WinterSnowfall
WinterSnowfall: FTFY. While some games handle SLI pretty well, others cringe, roll, filp over and crash.
Which is why i'm not surprised by the lack of vulkan support, but vulkan's current support is extra spotty. The kicker is how this all really is the driver's responsibility. Alternate Frame Rendering could easily have been forced on any game simply by frameskipping the first frame with vsync support enabled games, for example. Most of the time, still, the games are using a library that, in the end, translates to SDL. The excuse seems to be polling and such, but at the end of the day, it's the drivers and APIs. This should not only be invisible to the end user, but also the average programmer, but they're making it sound like it can't be done that way. If a game uses a timer instead of vsync, I could understand with AFR, but I still don't understand why the other methods (like alternating horizontal lines or split screen) couldn't be done: send the same commands but cut the jurisdictions in half. There's no reason SLI should be this broken given how it's written on paper.

EDIT: To be clear, even DOS code should work should the code properly reroute "draw line" and "draw rectangle" calls to the GPU (although, today, that'd be pointless).
Post edited December 05, 2018 by kohlrak
As X3 comes with Linux support, does anybody know if there's a Linux version planned for X4 too?
Yay, the soundtrack is still awesome. :-)
Wanted to be a space pirate - stole a ship which was transporting spaceweed. Turns out, that stuff sells really well.

Fastforward, I find my little drug cartel genociding and waging war on one of the factions because they kept confiscating my weed.
WinterSnowfall: FTFY. While some games handle SLI pretty well, others cringe, roll, flip over and crash.
Yes. Unfortunately, that is very true. Which, in my opinion only, is quite unacceptable. With Vulcan 1,1, it would not have been a lot more work for Egosoft to implement proper SLI support. According to this article anyways.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/03/vulkan-1-1-adds-multi-gpu-directx-compatibility-as-khronos-looks-to-the-future/

But hey, what do I know? I'm just a gamer who happens to be very fussy about my graphics. I want them to be the best that they can be.

As I mentioned previously, I cannot justify at this time playing X4 Foundations while one of my RTX 2080Ti cards sit there idle doing diddly squat. And I'm not alone on this. I know several others with high-end systems that feel the same way.
WinterSnowfall: FTFY. While some games handle SLI pretty well, others cringe, roll, filp over and crash.
kohlrak: Which is why i'm not surprised by the lack of vulkan support, but vulkan's current support is extra spotty. The kicker is how this all really is the driver's responsibility. Alternate Frame Rendering could easily have been forced on any game simply by frameskipping the first frame with vsync support enabled games, for example. Most of the time, still, the games are using a library that, in the end, translates to SDL. The excuse seems to be polling and such, but at the end of the day, it's the drivers and APIs. This should not only be invisible to the end user, but also the average programmer, but they're making it sound like it can't be done that way. If a game uses a timer instead of vsync, I could understand with AFR, but I still don't understand why the other methods (like alternating horizontal lines or split screen) couldn't be done: send the same commands but cut the jurisdictions in half. There's no reason SLI should be this broken given how it's written on paper.

EDIT: To be clear, even DOS code should work should the code properly reroute "draw line" and "draw rectangle" calls to the GPU (although, today, that'd be pointless).
I also don't understand why the other methods (like alternating horizontal lines or split screen) couldn't be done. To me, and this is just my humble opinion, it's just being lazy on the part of the programmers. But then again, I am not a programmer, so I cannot speak from experience.
But as a consumer, I can say, shame on me for not checking to see if X4 Foundations was going to support SLI before I preordered the game. I usually do, but in this case, I did not. Lesson learned.
Even some AAA (big budget, that is what that means) games do not support it but my guess is it will be added in later for this game.
Look i could even fly rto the eneternity with thius ghame but it sems refuse to run.I push the the game say nay...So.Fix it!! :I
Themken: Even some AAA (big budget, that is what that means) games do not support it but my guess is it will be added in later for this game.
Here's hoping. Many of today's triple-A games have SLI support right from the start. X4 is an awesome game with stunning graphics. Why would the developers not make it the best that it can be?
kohlrak: Which is why i'm not surprised by the lack of vulkan support, but vulkan's current support is extra spotty. The kicker is how this all really is the driver's responsibility. Alternate Frame Rendering could easily have been forced on any game simply by frameskipping the first frame with vsync support enabled games, for example. Most of the time, still, the games are using a library that, in the end, translates to SDL. The excuse seems to be polling and such, but at the end of the day, it's the drivers and APIs. This should not only be invisible to the end user, but also the average programmer, but they're making it sound like it can't be done that way. If a game uses a timer instead of vsync, I could understand with AFR, but I still don't understand why the other methods (like alternating horizontal lines or split screen) couldn't be done: send the same commands but cut the jurisdictions in half. There's no reason SLI should be this broken given how it's written on paper.

Lonestar166: I also don't understand why the other methods (like alternating horizontal lines or split screen) couldn't be done. To me, and this is just my humble opinion, it's just being lazy on the part of the programmers. But then again, I am not a programmer, so I cannot speak from experience.
But as a consumer, I can say, shame on me for not checking to see if X4 Foundations was going to support SLI before I preordered the game. I usually do, but in this case, I did not. Lesson learned.
Right, and that's the case, but the thing is, implementation is on nVidia, here, not Egosoft. This is the rule at the end of the day with this. My understanding is that they actually did implement it in Vulkan, and thus it should already be working.
looks neat. but vulkan only?
Thanks for releasing this on GOG at launch, I'll be purchasing in next week or so to show my support. One side of me wants the Collector Ed but the other side is having trouble justifying the extra price tag, especially since I prefer the books in hard-copy. Would've preferred if there was a "CE Upgrade" available like there is on Steam, would've purchased already while I decide about the CE content.
Lonestar166: I also don't understand why the other methods (like alternating horizontal lines or split screen) couldn't be done. To me, and this is just my humble opinion, it's just being lazy on the part of the programmers. But then again, I am not a programmer, so I cannot speak from experience.
kohlrak: Right, and that's the case, but the thing is, implementation is on nVidia, here, not Egosoft. This is the rule at the end of the day with this. My understanding is that they actually did implement it in Vulkan, and thus it should already be working.
To the best of my knowledge, with the release of Vulkan 1.1, the implementation of SLI is the responsibility of the game developer, not NVidia. And at this time, Egosoft has not implemented SLI support for X4 Foundations.
Decision made, purchased the special edition for $115. Thanks Egosoft for listening to the community and releasing on GOG. Downloading now.