It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A sci-fi, arcade-style #shmup where YOU control the speed of the game – WAVECADE is now available on GOG alongside its 3 DLCs: Propulsions Pack, Designs Pack, Ships Pack, all with -10% discounts that last until September 1st, 1 PM UTC.

Inspired by classic arcade shooters such as Space Invaders and Galaga, Wavecade brings back the original nostalgia feeling to players from arcades, using a sleek retro 80s and sci-fi aesthetic.

Destroy blocks in style as you collect powerups and avoid hazards. How far can you go? Set your own rules and unlock your favorite mode to play.

Check it out now!
Is this like that FPS that is paused except when you're moving? Because that'd be a great mechanism in a schmup.

Reads page. It is not. :(

Still might be fun. It's not a crafted-levels variety, but a "replay faster/harder" variety. Still can be fun. (Warning Forever, the freeware game, was one of the best schmups ever...)

I guess this is wishlist for me for now.
I can't believe the GOG curators turned their noses up at Mushihimesama and the rest of the genuine CAVE arcade shmups collection, but here they are happily posting baby's first gamemaker shmup where the final boss is the Gigachad meme.

I love DRM-free games but I hate the options for getting them in this post-ownership society.
Nothing netter than a game full of memes with a bunch of DLCs on release. Another triumph for GOG's "curation".
Post edited August 25, 2023 by Breja
mqstout: Is this like that FPS that is paused except when you're moving? Because that'd be a great mechanism in a schmup.

Reads page. It is not. :(

Still might be fun. It's not a crafted-levels variety, but a "replay faster/harder" variety. Still can be fun. (Warning Forever, the freeware game, was one of the best schmups ever...)

I guess this is wishlist for me for now.
I know a game that might be up your way by Sean O' Connor. Turn based mission oriented RTS hybrid space shooter.

Addendum: The whole Vaporwave things feels a bit old hat at this point, especially when combined with that bloom effect. Contrast Hyperoid. Much higher visibility, scales better, and has source code in C.
Post edited August 25, 2023 by Darvond
MischiefMaker: I can't believe the GOG curators turned their noses up at Mushihimesama and the rest of the genuine CAVE arcade shmups collection, but here they are happily posting baby's first gamemaker shmup where the final boss is the Gigachad meme.
And then, when this game fails to garner many sales here, GOG will probably say "See, arcade-style games just don't sell very well, therefore, we couldn't possibly accept those games from Cave, Takumi, Platine Dispositif, AlfaSystem, Treasure, Success Corporation, Henteko Doujin, Endless Shirafu, Final Form Games, CITY CONNECTION, KOMODO, Warashi, Tanoshimasu, DeathMofuMofu, Shinu Real Arts, Masayuki Ito, Toro Nishino, CreSpirit, G.rev, M2, Team Ladybug, Onion Games, Yotsubane, Phoenixx Inc., or mebius. We just KNOW they would never ever be profitable!"

I don't understand why the developers of this game specifically cite Space Invaders and Galaga as their inspirations, when this game has vertical player movement, and the enemy formations look absolutely nothing like the ones in those games...

And judging by the trailer, WAVECADE seems more like a tone generator with pretty visualizations, moreso than a full-fledged game. I don't see any traces of anything resembling any sort of challenge whatsoever. It's quite strange. Am I missing something?

Well, memes aside, I don't dislike the aesthetics, at least.
Post edited August 26, 2023 by Curtainferno
high rated
Look, I am the developer for Wavecade. This is the first time I have seen actual negative comments for a release of this game on a different platform. So let me clear things up for you:

1. No, the game is not about memes. It is a genuine arcade space shooter game.
2. The reason we mention Space Invaders and Galaga is they are known by most people, if we mentioned any of your niche games the general population won't understand what this game is like.
3. If you play the game, there are plenty of features to sink your teeth into. We also have a literal challenges system, so you cannot tell me the game does not resemble a challgenge.
4. DLC's are COSMETIC ONLY. No one is forcing you to buy them. The more you play, the more perks, abilities and other stuff you unlock by grabbing XP in your playthroughs. There's several game modes.
5. It even has cross platform multiplayer, so you can play with people on PC, console and mobile players of the game.
6. We are Australian game developers with several years of experience with Unity. We stand up for ourselves knowing this game is way better than most games out there. We put love into this game and it is a you problem if you can't see that.
7. We want this game to get a following, we don't care about it going viral with memes. We welcome constructive feedback and we are post regular updates and patches to the game to make it even better for you. Getting in at ground zero, at release is going to be well worth it for you in the long run.

If you want to give us constructive feedback. Please rate us and review us on the actual game page.

Thank you.
Well, normally in shmups, most of the challenge comes from dodging stuff, but I didn't see anything even remotely challenging to dodge in the trailer video, nor in the "First 25 waves and boss fight" video I found just now on YouTube. So then, I thought maybe the challenge comes from some scoring mechanic, perhaps involving shooting blocks in a certain way. But then, I see no cumulative score counter on screen. Rather, I just see little numbers briefly popping up each time the player destroys a block.
So then, could you explain where the challenge in this game comes from, or link me a video that demonstrates it better than the trailer does? And what exactly is the "literal challenges system" you mention?

And you mention there are several game modes, but what exactly are those modes?

Now, I probably should have mentioned in my previous post, I do think referring to it as "baby's first gamemaker shmup" is a bit much, at least on the dev side, yeah? The game looks quite competently constructed, even if I don't yet understand the gameplay design.
SpalatoBros: The reason we mention Space Invaders and Galaga is they are known by most people,
Ah, understandable enough, I suppose.

Thanks for coming and posting here! That's always very much appreciated.
I'm actually kinda hoping you can sell me on this game. I'm hoping it's actually quite fun and engaging, and maybe the trailer just doesn't do a very good job of conveying that.
Post edited August 26, 2023 by Curtainferno
Dear GOG, as you're now looking in the direction of space shoot'em ups, could you bring us Jets'n'Guns Gold and Jets'n'Guns 2? They're übercool games, they're fun, and the're funny, which is a rare combination in this genre.
Curtainferno: Well, normally in shmups, most of the challenge comes from dodging stuff, but I didn't see anything even remotely challenging to dodge in the trailer video, nor in the "First 25 waves and boss fight" video I found just now on YouTube. So then, I thought maybe the challenge comes from some scoring mechanic, perhaps involving shooting blocks in a certain way. But then, I see no cumulative score counter on screen. Rather, I just see little numbers briefly popping up each time the player destroys a block.
So then, could you explain where the challenge in this game comes from, or link me a video that demonstrates it better than the trailer does? And what exactly is the "literal challenges system" you mention?

And you mention there are several game modes, but what exactly are those modes?

Now, I probably should have mentioned in my previous post, I do think referring to it as "baby's first gamemaker shmup" is a bit much, at least on the dev side, yeah? The game looks quite competently constructed, even if I don't yet understand the gameplay design.
SpalatoBros: The reason we mention Space Invaders and Galaga is they are known by most people,
Curtainferno: Ah, understandable enough, I suppose.

Thanks for coming and posting here! That's always very much appreciated.
I'm actually kinda hoping you can sell me on this game. I'm hoping it's actually quite fun and engaging, and maybe the trailer just doesn't do a very good job of conveying that.
So between what you see on Youtube and the actual game on GOG, there have been some updates specifically for the Steam and GOG version.

There is a score counter on the screen, you just don't see it in the trailer. But there is more UI showing your score, your score chain, your current abiltiies/powerups etc.

The challenges system at the moment has about 40 challenges and you can see them in the pause menu/main menu of the game. These give you more XP to unlock perks and abilities.

Now, believe it or not I don't play shmup games regularly, so I don't really know about what is happening with GOG and shmup games on the platform. I only really know of 1 or 2 other games which I feel are more polished than mine, but its 100x more confusing to play them compared to Wavecade.

Do you think some shmup games don't get selected to be on GOG because they're usually portrait oriented and wastes a significant portion of the screen? Or maybe it's just that 8-bit aesthetic which might be it.

I have a pretty good reputation when it comes to replying to forums in the community, I am quite active on the TouchArcade forums for the same game on iOS. Also quite active on Discord if you want to share more of a discussion and hear from other players.

Now game modes, we have:
- Arcade: The standard game mode with normal rules.
- Fast track: Like arcade but the speed of the game gets more quicker than Arcade mode does.
- No blocks shall pass: The game ends when any block passes below the screen.
- Armor mode: All blocks need more hits to have them explode.
- One hit KO: You only ever have 1 life in the game with arcade rules.
- Quick game: 2 minutes to get as many points as possible.
- Custom: You can create your own rule set based on options regarding time/powerups/block types/bonus waves and more.

Let me know if you like to know what else Wavecade has to offer.
Post edited August 27, 2023 by SpalatoBros
The news article mentions a 10% discount on the base game and DLC that lasts until 1 September, but no such discount is available on the game page. Maybe GOG should get this fixed before the time runs out.
NovaPyxis: The news article mentions a 10% discount on the base game and DLC that lasts until 1 September, but no such discount is available on the game page. Maybe GOG should get this fixed before the time runs out.
You're right! Why would GOG do this? The website must be wrong because I specifically told them to have a 10% discount on launch for the first week. They know that there should be a discount based on the emails exchanged.
SpalatoBros: You're right! Why would GOG do this? The website must be wrong because I specifically told them to have a 10% discount on launch for the first week. They know that there should be a discount based on the emails exchanged.
I have good news. It's currently several public holidays in Poland so you may as well wait until [checks notes] the 4th of September before attempting to contact support.

By my count, there's four of them between now and the first, including today.

Ed/Add: There's the Municipal Police day, Day of Solidarity and Freedom, Veteran's Day, the Anniversary of the outbreak of the Second World War in Poland, and a chance of Dożynki.
Post edited August 29, 2023 by Darvond
MischiefMaker: I can't believe the GOG curators turned their noses up at Mushihimesama and the rest of the genuine CAVE arcade shmups collection, but here they are happily posting baby's first gamemaker shmup where the final boss is the Gigachad meme.
Curtainferno: And then, when this game fails to garner many sales here, GOG will probably say "See, arcade-style games just don't sell very well, therefore, we couldn't possibly accept those games from Cave, Takumi, Platine Dispositif, AlfaSystem, Treasure, Success Corporation, Henteko Doujin, Endless Shirafu, Final Form Games, CITY CONNECTION, KOMODO, Warashi, Tanoshimasu, DeathMofuMofu, Shinu Real Arts, Masayuki Ito, Toro Nishino, CreSpirit, G.rev, M2, Team Ladybug, Onion Games, Yotsubane, Phoenixx Inc., or mebius. We just KNOW they would never ever be profitable!"

I don't understand why the developers of this game specifically cite Space Invaders and Galaga as their inspirations, when this game has vertical player movement, and the enemy formations look absolutely nothing like the ones in those games...

And judging by the trailer, WAVECADE seems more like a tone generator with pretty visualizations, moreso than a full-fledged game. I don't see any traces of anything resembling any sort of challenge whatsoever. It's quite strange. Am I missing something?

Well, memes aside, I don't dislike the aesthetics, at least.
You can always download the FREE demo on Steam, and see for yourself. There is a free demo on Android as well if you want to try it out on mobile too :)