It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

You can check out any time you like...

<span class="bold">The Guest</span>, an eerie puzzle-exploration story of entrapment, is available now, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 50% launch discount.

You're Dr. Evgueni Leonov and you're a guest in this stylish 1980's hotel. Or are you a prisoner? You seem unable to leave your room, but as you explore it further, the walls give way to glimpses of other worlds. Some of these visions are shimmering with brilliant lights and some are overwhelmed by nightmarish wall-markings. Are you losing your mind or are you instead approaching a hidden truth that only you can unlock?
Explore every corner of your room, discover all its different instances, and solve the diverse puzzles and mysteries that are keeping you from uncovering the nature of your confinement. After all, no matter your shackles, the truth will set you free.

Navigate the mental and logical challenges of this gloomy hotel room as <span class="bold">The Guest</span> -- DRM-free on GOG.com.
The 50% discount will last until December 22, 1:59PM UTC.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/EMYb168vDOI
Post edited December 15, 2016 by maladr0Id
HypersomniacLive: That's where the "discrimination" was (mostly?) directed at. But it does say something about GOG too if the dev/pub passed their decision to not offer it here.
Yes, but not necessarily something GOG can control, like the overwhelming market share of Steam.
V4V: Yes, but not necessarily something GOG can control, like the overwhelming market share of Steam.
Not referring to that. One would think they could negotiate the inclusion of something given for free elsewhere, especially since the release here happened months after the Steam one.
Post edited December 17, 2016 by HypersomniacLive
HypersomniacLive: Not referring to that. One would think they could negotiate the inclusion of something given for free elsewhere, especially since the release here happened months after the Steam one.
One could think so, but without any further information, one would only stab in the dark.

I wouldn't reproach GOG with something I don't know.
Prolence: While at times I wonder why am I doing this
What exactly are you wondering about then?
Also getting a bit off-topic but I'm glad I'm not the only one who openly admits doing that
I'm harmless in comparison to a friend of mine who I would depict as an archaeologist brushing off the dust of every item and relief in the game. :D

I've heard several times how I don't actually play the game
Who's to say that? Only the developers could say how they intended their games to be played, and even they often say that however it is played, it is "right". I see any game as a sandbox: What is there is open to any interaction the game provides, and I love any game that rewards this approach. Therefore, I don't see even cheating as bad, as long it doesn't spoil the fun of others in multiplayer games. Another friend of mine cheats frequently in games because he's not interested in the challenge but only the story.

So you see, there are many gamers like you. Don't mistake volume for amplitude. :)
Prolence: While at times I wonder why am I doing this
V4V: What exactly are you wondering about then?
Oh that was more like I'm so jumpy, that it can't be good to my health playing even partially scary/jumpy games, but still I play those. So more like a rhetorical question than actual question type, if it makes sense? It's usually a lot clearer in my head than what comes out.
Like in this game, without spoiling anything, I'm constantly watching over my shoulder so to speak, but I do enjoy it no matter how jumpy I may be when it comes to sound effects and other stuff in games in general. One of the necessary evils of gaming to me, in a good way.

Also getting a bit off-topic but I'm glad I'm not the only one who openly admits doing that
V4V: I'm harmless in comparison to a friend of mine who I would depict as an archaeologist brushing off the dust of every item and relief in the game. :D
That does sound, different. Good for your friend, though, the more one gets out of the game the better!

I've heard several times how I don't actually play the game
V4V: Who's to say that? Only the developers could say how they intended their games to be played, and even they often say that however it is played, it is "right". I see any game as a sandbox: What is there is open to any interaction the game provides, and I love any game that rewards this approach. Therefore, I don't see even cheating as bad, as long it doesn't spoil the fun of others in multiplayer games. Another friend of mine cheats frequently in games because he's not interested in the challenge but only the story.

So you see, there are many gamers like you. Don't mistake volume for amplitude. :)
That I 100% agree, it's each to their own how they want to play the game. It's just funny when I hear the You play the game wrong statements, as if there would be only one way to play those. As long as it doesn't affect others' enjoyment, it's all the same how one likes to play the game they spent money on. You know those people who likes to drive by the rules in open world games at times, just to see how AI works and how the world breathes, that's me.

Thank you for taking the time to write your post, it was a nice read.
V4V: One could think so, but without any further information, one would only stab in the dark.

I wouldn't reproach GOG with something I don't know.
Fair enough, but the possibilities are not exactly endless, and they all lead to the same result, with a variation of implications depending on the case - either neither side thought of it, or cared enough to negotiate/include it, or the dev/pub refused when asked by GOG; ruling out the case of the dev/pub offering it and GOG refusing. Can you think of another case?
HypersomniacLive: either neither side thought of it, or cared enough to negotiate/include it, or the dev/pub refused when asked by GOG; ruling out the case of the dev/pub offering it and GOG refusing. Can you think of another case?
No matter how many possibilities we imagine, we still don't know (… if the right ones are among them / if so, which ones / what the reasons behind them are etc. etc.)

What do you ultimately intend to achieve with all this speculation?

Did you ask GOG or the devs directly? Public forum posts don't have the same incline for answers than direct inquiries.
V4V: No matter how many possibilities we imagine, we still don't know (… if the right ones are among them / if so, which ones / what the reasons behind them are etc. etc.)

What do you ultimately intend to achieve with all this speculation?

Did you ask GOG or the devs directly? Public forum posts don't have the same incline for answers than direct inquiries.
We don't know, but the possibilities are not endless, and drawing attention to the matter may change something.

I have no ultimate goal, just drawing attention; release threads are read/followed a tad more than others.
HypersomniacLive: I have no ultimate goal, just drawing attention; release threads are read/followed a tad more than others.
I concur.

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't know what you meant, so I asked. :)
After looking into this game, I added it to my wish list. It is a short game, so I would like to see the price come down before I buy.