It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

HOMM-like exploration, city-building and turn-based strategic combat, with a roguelite twist – The Dragoness: Command of the Flame is now available on GOG with a -10% discount that lasts until August 16th, 10 PM UTC!

Embark on an epic quest across the Drairthir Peninsula – a land ravaged by warring factions of Dragons. You take the role of a Commander, recruited by The Dragoness, in her bid to conquer and bring peace to the world.

Finding yourself in the ruined capital of Níwenborh, it’s down to you to rebuild this once-great city. Only by recruiting a powerful beast army and managing your resources will you be able to prepare yourself for the dangers that lie ahead – where only keen strategic thinking and tactical skill will see you emerge victorious.

Choose your battles, paths and skills as you explore a world ravaged by war. Gather and manage your army of beasts, collect resources and expand your city. The Dragoness: Command of the Flame is available NOW!
idbeholdME:
No problem with overpowered heroes for me. I mean, my ideal TBS would really be an RPG with additional armies, used for defense and support. Have a party of heroes to advance and other units to hold what they conquer, so they won't worry too much about the enemy slipping behind them, or at least buy time to have them rush back if a strong opponent slips by, and offer support or wear down otherwise overwhelming forces they may happen to face. None of which may be done without those independent armies. And AoW:SM's teleportation gates beat caravans if you want to just move armies between major cities. High-end, costly constructions, not something you just have, but instant travel if that's what you want, while independent movement is available otherwise.
idbeholdME:
Cavalary: No problem with overpowered heroes for me. I mean, my ideal TBS would really be an RPG with additional armies, used for defense and support. Have a party of heroes to advance and other units to hold what they conquer, so they won't worry too much about the enemy slipping behind them, or at least buy time to have them rush back if a strong opponent slips by, and offer support or wear down otherwise overwhelming forces they may happen to face. None of which may be done without those independent armies
You can still have that. Just make more heroes. You can have 8 out and however many you want garrisoned inside cities. You can make one super powerful hero or split the experience, artifacts and armies between multiple. You can garrison mines if you so desire, leave units at border gates etc.

Having to move 28 independent armies a turn + heroes gets tedious pretty quick.

I'd argue that independent armies, when everything can fight on its own, actually goes against the "heroes" in the title. It's no longer about heroes and their armies fighting, but about "units fighting with occasional hero cameos". Not to mention that it greatly complicates the simple but extremely fun formula of Heroes. Might as well be a different game at that point.
Post edited August 11, 2023 by idbeholdME
I did list a way I'd be glad to have innovation -- even "roguelite" style. But not what they actually seem to have done with this title.