It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Welcome to a world of intrigue and suspicion where humans and robots contend with escalating tensions and mutual distrust. The Tales of the Neon Sea adventure game is now available on GOG.COM along with a 75% discount that will last until 26th April 2021, 1 PM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
RedRagan: Well some new "2D" games are actually built using 3D engine. The example is like Shovel knight. In youtube channel Boundary Break the developer shows how the so called "2D" work. Turn out it was several layers of image positioned in different distance to create this rolling background effect.
ciemnogrodzianin: Exactly. It guess it's mostly light effects. Inmost was unplayable for me because of them. Hard to imagine how much work would be needed to make the same effect using "old" methods, which probably means building scenes/animations pixel by pixel...
At least one pixel art game developer actually did hand-paint normal maps for the lighting:

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/312977/Adding_depth_to_2D_with_handdrawn_normal_maps_in_The_Siege_and_the_Sandfox.php

(Most of the images are dead but https://www.gamasutra.com/db_area/images/news/312977/PaintingNorms.png is still there.)
Post edited April 19, 2021 by VanishedOne
Y'know, I'm the kind of guy who never buys a game on release, always does some research, reads reviews, perhaps watches a little gameplay (but not too much, so that the game still feels fresh). So here's how it went with this one:

Watched trailer.

Got a serious case of goosebumps. Like, S*E*R*I*O*U*S***G*O*O*S*E*B*U*M*P*S. Of the kind a game trailer hasn't given me for years.

Instabought bought game including soundtrack.

Downloading right now, praying for the game to actually have the kind of atmosphere that oozes from the trailer.
Post edited April 19, 2021 by Wottie
OMG, GoG!
was waiting soooo long for this game to be released here and 75% off
one love <3
Gamecard doesn't mention achievements, but in galaxy there are some... however they seem to be bugged?!
Schlaumayr: Gamecard doesn't mention achievements, but in galaxy there are some... however they seem to be bugged?!
- Galaxy "My progress" shows that they all have status "Legendary"

Therefore i would assume nobody was/is able to get them, because they are not unlocked technically.
I guess, somebody (at Gog) must have hit a button they shouldn't have. :-)
So i would assume, trophies are not "broken", they are just not implemented.

I opened a ticket at Got support a couple of minutes age (thank you sunday morning coffee...) - let´s see, what they can figure out. I´ll keep this thread posted. :-)
Post edited April 25, 2021 by Paraharaha
Schlaumayr: Gamecard doesn't mention achievements, but in galaxy there are some... however they seem to be bugged?!
Paraharaha: - Galaxy "My progress" shows that they all have status "Legendary"

Therefore i would assume nobody was/is able to get them, because they are not unlocked technically.

I opened a ticket at Got support a couple of minutes age (thank you sunday morning coffee...) - let´s see, what they can figure out. I´ll keep this thread posted. :-)
Thanks for your effort, I appreciate it :)
Paraharaha: - Galaxy "My progress" shows that they all have status "Legendary"

Schlaumayr: Thanks for your effort, I appreciate it :)
Hi,

Gog support answered a couple of minutes ago - summary:

Tales of the Neon Sea currently doesn't support Galaxy achievements. Developers are looking to add that support with future updates, but they are not sure if or when that will happen. Gog also confirmed achievements list is no longer visible in Gog Galaxy. With these informations from Gog we closed the ticket for good. :-)
"They are not sure if or when that will happen" Noooooo

I guess I'll have to officially add it to the list then. TASOMACHI and Adeptus Titanicus: Dominus have the exact same problem, GOG should start flogging developers who pretend to add achievements.
Schlaumayr: Thanks for your effort, I appreciate it :)
Paraharaha: Hi,

Gog support answered a couple of minutes ago - summary:

Tales of the Neon Sea currently doesn't support Galaxy achievements. Developers are looking to add that support with future updates, but they are not sure if or when that will happen. Gog also confirmed achievements list is no longer visible in Gog Galaxy. With these informations from Gog we closed the ticket for good. :-)
Oh damn, just wanted to post "instead of repairing them, they removed the achievements completely".

Couple of years ago I didn't mind if games did not have achievements here, while on steam they had. But nowadays I more often just don't buy the games. (Okay, the price tag on this one was a seller)