It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get your gory kicks, like it's 1996!

UPDATE: Can you hear the blood spattering the walls around you? Ok, then turn down the sound effects for a bit. Now you should be able to hear ToyTree's explosive tunes while you're strafing away from danger. Or you can just grab the <span class="bold">Soundtrack</span> separately and enjoy all 23 tracks at your own pace. Boom.

<span class="bold">STRAFE&reg;</span>, a fast-paced, roguelike first-person shooter with plenty of guts, gusto, and gung-ho attitude, is now available, DRM-free on GOG.com!

The monsters are charging you in droves, your weapons are becoming more and more ridiculous, and the levels rearrange themselves every time you die. Or maybe not - it's hard to tell when there's so much blood spatter in your eyes. But who needs a map, when you've got wicked instincts and insane mobility?

Watch the trailer.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by maladr0Id
Bigs: It's a use one time use gimmick... literally
Fairfox: O huh. I wonder why they useded it as an incentive.
A joke... the hype / marketing (not counting the DLC) was infinitely better than the game... >_>
dewtech: Lul. No need to uplift the topic, it's meant to be used as a description of overkill.
Shadowcat: The capitalisation in this context makes the word unambiguously a proper name, and therefore certainly a reference to the mass murder of Jews by the Nazis.

Note that if they had instead written "holocaust", it would be fine.

This was discussed in the previous thread, and the description remains unchanged since then, so I think we can safely say that it is 100% intentional (as otherwise someone would have rushed to fix it).
Considering the games theme its pretty save to assume the devs where thinking about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_holocaust when using that word.
anothername: Considering the games theme its pretty save to assume the devs where thinking about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_holocaust when using that word.
1. As discussed, that would be "holocaust" not "Holocaust".

2. There is absolutely no chance that the developers have not been made aware of (1) since writing that blurb. If they were thinking of any other meaning of the word, they would have taken steps to remove that capitalisation.
anothername: Considering the games theme its pretty save to assume the devs where thinking about this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_holocaust when using that word.
Shadowcat: 1. As discussed, that would be "holocaust" not "Holocaust".

2. There is absolutely no chance that the developers have not been made aware of (1) since writing that blurb. If they were thinking of any other meaning of the word, they would have taken steps to remove that capitalisation.
Jesus H. Christ, get over the goddamn topic already. Take your muh feelings, rol them up and insert them up your anus.

The game itself is pretty meh, but the shitty PR which got overkilled by overly sensitive man-women is fucking hilarious.
Shadowcat: 1. As discussed, that would be "holocaust" not "Holocaust".

dewtech: Jesus H. Christ, get over the goddamn topic already. Take your muh feelings, rol them up and insert them up your anus.

The game itself is pretty meh, but the shitty PR which got overkilled by overly sensitive man-women is fucking hilarious.
Actually, you seem to be the "overly sensitive man-women" because you cannot discuss it without getting your panties in a bunch.
low rated
dewtech: Jesus H. Christ, get over the goddamn topic already. Take your muh feelings, rol them up and insert them up your anus.

qwixter: Actually, you seem to be the "overly sensitive man-women" because you cannot discuss it without getting your panties in a bunch.
Because you "problematic" people get my nerves in a bunch. SJW is cancer. The other side is cancer aswell (fucking nazis and gg guys). I hope you guys get weapons and wipe each other out.
qwixter: Actually, you seem to be the "overly sensitive man-women" because you cannot discuss it without getting your panties in a bunch.
dewtech: Because you "problematic" people get my nerves in a bunch. SJW is cancer. The other side is cancer aswell (fucking nazis and gg guys). I hope you guys get weapons and wipe each other out.
There there. Go watch some reality TV and you will start to feel better.
Well hello. I would have sworn that I was responding to someone else, but clearly I accidentally directed my comment to you. My mistake. I'll try not to let it happen again.
Bouchart: How many people are going to confuse Strafe with Strife, which actually was made in 1996?
qwixter: I did.
Perhaps it's intentional. It does seem confusing when they keep mentioning a specific year rather than saying back to the 90's etc. I know the whole point it the game is pretending to be a game from 1996 but doing that is confusing.

The store page made me think it was a re-release of an old game at first glance but then things didn't add up: the screenshots looked modern and the price seemed too high for a re-release. Also the date but the year could be when it's available here not when first released.

Much of the joy of a 90's shooter was in finding all the Easter eggs and exploring the hand-crafted levels along with scripted events and switch/key puzzles. Quick save/load was available and essential (for me at least). The retro graphics on the weapons look too much like the modern impersonation they are. Quake (1996) and Jedi Knight (1995) had low polygons but it made up for them with its textures to make it look good despite the limitations. Duke 3D used sprites for the weapons.

I can take-or-leave the 90's aesthetic they've used as a gimmick but the procedural levels and rogue-like features, that it seems like every indie game has to have, make this unappealing to me.
I think the graphic is simply too messy. Going the retro route requires the visual artists to be extremely skilled since they can't rely on autogenerated visuals doing their work.

For instance, that orange-pants enemy would in a 'modern' version have nasty-ass slimy skin, high-res texture and bump mapping. Stuff which automatically gives even the shittiest design a certain solidity. But here, his impact is entirely dependent on design. And no matter how much I look at him I can't figure out what he's supposed to look like.

Hey, found a youtube review who said kinda the same thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBNFzxKPHZ0&amp;feature=youtu.be&amp;t=7m25s
Oh look: The Steam version received an update again .

http://steamcommunity.com/games/442780/announcements/detail/1500120408250596108